Author Topic: DB Carries Elantris  (Read 8349 times)

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Re: DB Carries Elantris
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2005, 01:50:49 PM »
OSC has written for the Meridian Magazine before, and he wrote a review for Elantris.  Why not ask him if he will send his review and have it posted in Meridian?

That will carry more weight than you can imagine.  Quite frankly, since I had never heard of Elantris or EUOL before HOM showed me this site, that is what made me want to buy the book.  I trust OSC's judgement (sometimes), and if he likes the book, then I will probably like the book.

Seriously, I'd give half my royalties to have OSC review my book...  
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »
That's a good idea.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2005, 02:44:44 PM »
I would think that if you explain to Card that DB is carrying it, and you would like to get a review in Meridian, but nobody else is more qualified to review this kind of a book than he is, and he already has it written up...  He would go for it.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2005, 06:10:56 PM »
Shoot. Shafted by Orson Scott Card.

Oh well. I can see what stacer is saying about an audience-perceived bias, and I wouldn't want to risk making bad press for EUOL.

I could try doing YA book reviews. I'm not familiar with the magazine, so I'll have to look it up. Do they only do LDS influenced books, like either with an LDS character or written by an LDS author? Or do they do just good books in general. Also, I think someone mentioned that they had a staff member who does children's. But maybe she doesn't do much YA. I'll have to check it out--it could be a good place to get a first publishing credential.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2005, 08:36:03 PM »
Or, y'know, you could start submitting reviews here. I always intended to do more but never really had the time to do more than a few, and now my life seems busier than ever, so not many children's or YA books get reviewed here except the standard classics. The children's person at Meridian covers mostly picture books and early readers, from what I have noticed (I pop over there from time to time but don't pay it a lot of attention).
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2005, 08:44:22 PM »
Also submitting book reviews with us does look good on a resume.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2005, 12:22:56 AM »
You actually asked Card? That definitely wouldn't have been my suggestion... >_>;;;;;
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2005, 01:02:02 AM »
wow.  I personally would have waited until the possible book signing with EUOL and Card.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2005, 01:50:23 AM »
You actually asked Card? That definitely wouldn't have been my suggestion... >_>;;;;;

I don't think he did, did he?

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2005, 03:45:37 AM »
I don't believe he did, either. I think it was a suggestion from Firemeboy to use the review that OSC already wrote and submit it to Meridian. Would you have to get OSC's permission to do that?

I think I will do book reviews for TWG. EUOL suggested it to me before vacation, and I said, "Oh, they wouldn't want my reviews." But now that I have been officially asked by stacer, I think I will. Oh, and Fell also asked me to do the review for D&D for Dummies. I'm the perfect candidate because I've roleplayed but not D&D and I'm dumb.  ;)

For all the YA books I read, I just need to sit down and write up some reviews--once I get Word back on my laptop (I had a temp version with my new computer, and it expired). I'm going to buy it at BYU bookstore and--get a student discount--as soon as I am back in town.

Incidentally, that is why stacer and Fellfrosch don't have the comments on their books, even though I have them both done now. I can't access them! Grr.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2005, 09:07:38 AM »
Yeah, EUOL told me he recommended you do so. I told him I was going to email you about it, but I'm a lazy sack of crap (it's a requirement to edit around here) so I haven't done that. So, submit. SUBMIT!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2005, 09:14:02 AM »
Shoot. Shafted by Orson Scott Card.

umm, well you did[i\] make it sound like you already asked him [Card].

As for TWG reviews she's going to be getting a copy of D&D for dummies soon to see if that book actually works.

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2005, 11:39:28 AM »
Chimera

...once I get Word back on my laptop (I had a temp version with my new computer, and it expired). I'm going to buy it at BYU bookstore and--get a student discount--as soon as I am back in town.

If you want to save a few bucks, there is an open source version of Word.  I don't mean a pirated version, I mean a word processor that was developed by folks who just give it away for free...

Recently we are seeing a lot of this kind of open source software, and the amazing thing is the quality.  I downloaded the open office suite and haven't used word/excel since.  Not because I'm a Microsoft basher, but because it really is a slick program.  It opens Word and Excel documents, it saves them as Word and Excel documents (you simply do a 'save as' and choose your version).

Anyway, I've got open source office, a photoshop program (GIMP), some mind mapping software, audio software (I used that to 'podcasted' the first chapter of my book on my blog, you can hear it here).  Open software is really  becoming a nice alternative.  If nothing else you can use open office until you get word.  But, if you like it and it saves you $100, that is always a good thing.

Anyway, enough of my soap box.  Here is the link.

I wouldn't mess with the 'stable' version, go for the beta version (1.9+).  It is the one I use, and I don't have any problems.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2005, 11:47:34 AM »
GIMP has a lot of problems with it. I've not found a decent open source graphics editing package. Though, for non professionals, WavePad turns out to be a really nice freeware audio editing package.

I use Word because of hte track changes feature, which I haven't seen supported well in any freeware package. If you don't need that, I love using KeyNote for everything else.

btw, you're using the wrong terminology in some of those places. "Open source" means that anyone is allowed to edit the code any way they want. "Freeware" means the software is distributed at no charge. Most open source lisences are also freeware.

also, Word (with a capital 'W') refers specifically to Microsoft's office program. you mean a word processor. "Photoshop" is the same with adobe. It's a graphics editing program, but Photoshop is specifically the Adobe program.

</nit picking>

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2005, 11:54:44 AM »
I'm sure he's talking about Open Office, I'm kinda disappointed that Word isn't bundled with Windows anymore but its one of those programs you don't have to upgrade very often.  I'm still using my copy of Office 2000, though I'm very tempted to upgrade to the new office (2006?) that saves all the files as XML and allows you to make PDFs with Word.