Author Topic: Mad Prince  (Read 2174 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Mad Prince
« on: August 01, 2005, 04:42:34 AM »
Well, I finally posted the Mad Prince deleted scenes from ELANTRIS.  Some of you have bugged me about these, wanting to know who he was, so I finally posted them.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/book.php?id=1&section=8

There are some moderately big spoilers in these chapters, so I wouldn't recommend reading them until you've read the novel itself.  These used to come near the end of the novel.  

Let me know if anything in these scenes needs more set-up than I've given.  It's hard to judge sometimes.  Anyway, for those of you who read the early drafts of ELANTRIS, you now know where to go if you're just dying to relive your favorite Mad Prince moments....

(My favorite: "Moles.")
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Prince
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 02:17:43 PM »
Ah, you left out the part about Eton throwing Fjordells off the city wall and telling them to cry out to Hrathen as their lord and their God, or whatever the exact wording was. I really liked that part.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

demented_yam

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 04:48:06 AM »
why couldn't you have kept him?

i loved the contrast betwen the absolutely off-the-wall Eton and Hrathen.

the book does more then well enough without him, but it's certainly entertaining to see someone so truely bizarre in this setting.

i hope to see that character again in another book, he's fun to watch.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 09:38:51 PM »
Yes, one of the reasons I resisted cutting Eton was because of how wonderful a foil he was for Hrathen.  

However, he just didn't work in the narrative.  If you look at the book as a whole, you'll see that in the original revision I had two men filling the same role--challengers to the throne.  Eton was interesting, but he stole a lot of thunder from Telrii, whose place in the book was weak overall.  And, Eton showed up only to be killed a few chapters later.

It just flowed better--and was more dramatic--to have Telrii be the prime contender.  And, by cutting Eton, I gained room in the story to flesh out Telrii.  He might not make as good a foil for Hrathen, but he eventually became a much stronger threat than Eton.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

demented_yam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 01:39:53 AM »
we'll see him again soon, though, right?

a character like him in another book?

please?

(a bit off topic, but not enough to bother making a new thread: i bought the book, and converted three people to fandom!)  ;D

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 12:46:52 AM »
Yay demented_yam! We need more people like you.

Personally, last week while I was apartment shopping I told everyone about my boyfriend's book and how great it was and how they should buy it. I think I converted some people--possibly the manager guy at Total Property Management (he wrote down the title and author name, at least). We also converted the car salesman when EUOL and I were car shopping.

Tell everyone! Stop nowhere! The truth must be told...er...or, at least, Elantris should be read!
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"