Author Topic: Fun idea for your second read (or third, fourth...  (Read 2896 times)

demented_yam

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Fun idea for your second read (or third, fourth...
« on: August 12, 2005, 04:41:01 AM »
I just finished the book the second time, and instead of reading it straight through, i did something interesting:  i only read Raoden's chapters (or Sarene's chapters with Raoden in them) from start to finish.

then i did the same thing for the other characters: read everything that is either from that character's POV, or has that character in it.

It was a great deal of fun, because i knew (from my first read) what was going on, but seeing everything unravel as one of the thee saw it (that is to say: ignorant of the other's plans) was incredible.

you really get a much better look at the chapters, especially the ones involving the Widow's Trial, that way.

Does anyone have any more tips for wringing every last drop of enjoyment out of the book while we wait for another to fall our way?

(by the way, this is my first post here, and i just wanted to say: i heard about the book from the forums of another fantasy series i read (the Wheel of Time) and i took the time out of my busy wrkload at the library to pull it off the shelf.  I immediately took it home, and finished at about 6:00 the next morning (a quite common occourence for a fantasty lover like me)  but have no fear:  this saturday, i'll be stopping by at borders, and you'll be recieving your 2 cent royalty check from me in no time  :)  )
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 04:41:56 AM by demented_yam »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Fun idea for your second read (or third, fourt
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 08:50:19 AM »
hi yamman! Be sure to read the FAQ and introduce yourself

I don't normally read books twice. I used to as a kid, but if I ever get to a book the second time, it'll be many years later (with a few exceptions, like the delicious goodness of Don Quijote).

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:49:04 PM »
True confessional: I haven't read Elantris since it's been published. I read it in manuscript (a late version!) and haven't had the time to read it since it came out. :o I've got too many other manuscripts to read!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 02:23:45 PM »
True Confessional:  Despite being EUOL's brother I never read Elantris until it was published.  I enjoyed it much more that way.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 02:49:28 PM »
The royalty should be somewhere near 10% of the cover price, so even if you buy it at a discount, he gets the same amount!!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

demented_yam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 03:17:30 PM »
truthfully, i have no idea how much royalties are (not being a writer myself  :P )

i suppose that 10% puts about $2 in his pocket.

anyway, for introductions: i'm 18 years old, and will soon be enrolled at Illinios Institiue  of Technology (in Chicago) as a Comp. Science major.  I currently live in northern New Jersey.  I also have a part time job at the local library (incidentally, that's where i am typing this from: it's been a really slow day  :P )

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 03:46:11 PM »
No no no.  Go to the Introduce Yourself thread (in the Site News section).
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 05:35:58 PM »
Well, the links don't have any underlines, and I can't detect a color difference on my screen (unless they're a bit green) so I can understand why they are easily missed...

My wife is flying through Chicago tomorrow!! (I am flying through Las Vegas...)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 07:00:05 PM »
They're blue. Like every other link on the entire forum.

demented_yam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 08:45:09 PM »
They're blue. Like every other link on the entire forum.

that's not true.

theere are black ones at the top of the thread, and the ones up by the banner are yellow   ;)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 01:31:55 AM »
I can see the color on this screen, but the screen at work is pretty bad.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 02:48:59 AM »
True confessional: I haven't read Elantris since it's been published. I read it in manuscript (a late version!) and haven't had the time to read it since it came out. :o I've got too many other manuscripts to read!

Yeah, like mine.   ;)
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 12:43:11 AM »
/me smacks forehead

Oh yeah!! I'm going to get right on it. Sorry.  :'(
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

RaoCar

• Level 2
  • The Elementalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 06:25:17 PM »
I think that if you read it over and over and try to memorize some of the word you might get more. Our minds tend to see something completely different than what it actually is.
Please read my book at this site. Its not long yet. I only have one page typed...
http://tb.syntheticstream.com/Forums/PostView.aspx?postid=337263