Author Topic: More Grumpiness  (Read 39620 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: More Grumpiness
« Reply #300 on: November 07, 2005, 02:11:22 AM »
Ah, but the fact that you're doing them at all is a happy thing!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 07, 2005, 02:22:32 AM »
Yes, the fact that I'm doing them at all is happy.  The fact that there are 129731283761283761 pieces to them is not.  

And for some reason BYU's won't submit.  I've filled out all the necessary information.  I typed in the payment info.  (Highway robbery if you ask me, having to pay $50 to probably get rejected for the third year running.) And yet, I hit send, and nothing happens.  Well, the page refreshes.  And that's it.  

I just want to send the stupid application and get it over with!

*And* then I have to deal with letters of recommendation.  This is not something that makes me happy.  I hate asking people to do things for me.  Plus, it doesn't help that last year one of the professors who *said* she'd give me a letter of recommendation and who I *gave* all the forms to, failed to actually do it.  This may or may not have contributed to me getting rejected last year.  

I hate this.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #302 on: November 07, 2005, 09:19:19 AM »
Jeffe might be on to something...if people have websites devoted to pictures of cats in sinks, those same people may pay $ to keep Mogget from becoming some sort of Vietnamese cuisine.  ;)

(I use Vietnam because my dad always told us as kids that they eat cats there. He flew helicoptors over there in the war, so I'm sure he is an authority.  ::))

My brother served his mission in Korea, and his wife is Korean. They eat dog sometimes in Korea. He didn't comment about cats.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 07, 2005, 03:07:54 PM »
Having served a mission in Korea, they don't eat cats in Korea. In fact, most of the cats that I saw in Korea were small and where eaten by the rats.  I also recall that Korean generally had something against cats but I don't remember the explanation.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »
They give you the evil eye, or they have evil eyes. That's what my Korean roommate said. Koreans don't like cats' eyes.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 07, 2005, 11:21:24 PM »
I prefer aggies to cats' eyes.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 09, 2005, 07:38:42 PM »
Okay, here's a scenario for you folks. (Warning: some material may not be suitable for the squeemish.)

Your roomie has two miniature dauchshunds, one of whom is named Flash. He is a delightful little animal most days. A strange one, too, because you've never known a dog who bites its nails.  Anyway, one quiet evening, upon looking in Flash's ear, you happen to discover what looks like a plump, brown tick.

[Ewww! Get it awaaay! :o Yes, that was my response also.]

But, further, after alert your roomie, she suggests that you put vaseline on the icky invader.

"Are you okay with that?" she asks, nervously holding the dog's little head and looking at you with pleading eyes.  

"Ummm, well, okay," you say.  So you coat the gross thing with vaseline. After all, poor Flash shouldn't suffer because his owner is faint of heart. Of course, you aren't even sure if it's good to put vaseline on ticks.

The epic scenario doesn't end here, however, because the tick seems quite happy where it is, despite being slathered with the finest vaseline that Johnson & Johnson produces.

Then your roomie gazes at you as if you're supposed to know what to do.  Thus, you hesitantly suggest to do something that you've always heard will work: put something hot on or near the disgusting tick so it'll back its head out. She agrees, though she kept worrying that you'll burn poor Flash's "sensitive hairs" around his ear.

You fire up a burner on the gas stove and plunge the tip of a pairing knife into the blue flames while she keeps reassuring the trembling doggie. Wouldn't you feel like you were in a bizzare episode of some show called Ways to Gross Out Your Roommate?? Wouldn't you want to walk off the set?  

Yet, no--you're committed.  The danger is clear and present. The dog is distressed, your roomie is even more so.  You must act.  

She insists that she can't bear to hold the knife. And, while I'll spare you some of the details, I will say that you won't want to hear anything sizzling for a long, long time....

But it gets better! She bestows upon you the great privilege of wielding the tweasers to remove the disengaged tick. Isn't that just swell of her??

So here's my question:  don't you think, after performing such a great service, you should receive some sort of glorious recompense. Say... no dishwashing for two whole weeks? No taking out the garbage for a month maybe? Well, I suppose I'd settle for a Best Roomie Ever Award. Seriously, I'm way too nice sometimes, I think...  ICK!! GAG!!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 07:41:31 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 09, 2005, 09:05:03 PM »
Are you sure your roommate can repay you in the manner you desire?

When I do something considerate for my roommates I generally find that they are not capable of giving me the kind of reward I would want. So I find it is better to be a little patient and I often get rewarded in one way or another.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2005, 12:28:23 AM »
Are you sure your roommate can repay you in the manner you desire?

When I do something considerate for my roommates I generally find that they are not capable of giving me the kind of reward I would want. So I find it is better to be a little patient and I often get rewarded in one way or another.

lol. It's not like I was actually going to march up to her with a list of demands for my services. Nah, I'm just happy that the crisis is averted. Yep, my work here is never done. It's good to be needed.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 12:28:59 AM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2005, 12:32:04 AM »
I am fortunate in that when I do things like that, it's usually for Ari.

It also helps that I wouldn't room with someone with pets.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2005, 12:44:13 AM »
True. I have only myself to blame in a way, I suppose. I knew she had two little dogs before I came out here to Boston. I was actually sort of excited because I miss my dog. Unfortunately, they aren't all that well-trained. *sigh* Still, it can be very nice to come home from a cruddy day to have doggies to great you.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 12:46:51 AM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 10, 2005, 12:35:19 PM »
I'm grumpy because Daylight savings stole my evenings.

Two weeks ago (or whenever it kicked in) I went from having a good hour and a half to two hours of daylight left  when I got home to having half an hour to none.  And all this at the stroke of a bureaucrat's pen, decades ago.

Stupid friggin jerks.

>:(
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 10, 2005, 12:51:32 PM »
What time do you get home from work? If I remember right, it gets dark there about 5, right? Here it's pitch black by 4:30. Stupid northern latitudes. I always drive home in the dark, especially because I've been staying till 7-7:30 lately (pressing project).

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 10, 2005, 01:40:07 PM »
about 5:30
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 10, 2005, 04:21:28 PM »
My insurance costs just went up--what was a pretty good plan has become a mediocre plan, "due to rising health care costs"--i.e., I get to foot the difference. My costs for chronic things, like needing to go to the doctor for asthma and allergies, has gone up, as has prescriptions, and they dropped coverage of the only allergy medicine that has been working for me, which I was already paying $35 a month for.

Now I will have to pay $75 a month for it, or get rid of my cat. Heck, I might as well quit my job and move somewhere else, because I can't live in Seattle without being able to get past my allergies, and I'm pretty much allergic to everything here. I don't have $75 a month extra. I don't even have the money to cover the expenses I already have.