Author Topic: Elantris a Rip off of Eddings?  (Read 4534 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Elantris a Rip off of Eddings?
« on: September 07, 2005, 11:39:03 PM »
Hi all--saw this review on Amazon, and I'm still scratching my head.  I really didn't see the connection between Eddings and EUOL.  Now, maybe if EUOL goes on to write 24 versions of Elantris, doing a simple "find and replace" on the characters and place names, then I could see it, but even then . . .  Here's the review.

Shows promise, but badly flawed, September 4, 2005
Reviewer:      William Sugarman "nprfan1" (Great Neck, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)  
Brandon Sanderson has read some of David Eddings' series; the similarities are far too obvious to be ignored. But he doesn't have Eddings' style or flair - in fact, he's downright dull in spots.

And his first novel has one far more serious flaw - he doesn't explain the history or the culture behind his book. For example, it took me close to a hundred pages to find out what a Seon was, even though they're mentioned in the first few pages of the story.

Sanderson is definitely a good writer, but he needs more lessons in his craft.

Anyway--Just wondered what the rest of you thought on this.  Too bad we can't write up reviews of reviewers.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: Elantris a Rip off of Eddings?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 11:43:47 PM »
I think that if it really took the reviewer 100 pages to figure out what a Seon was that's more a reflection of the reviewer's intelligence than the quality of the book.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 12:13:01 AM »
That's just good worldbuilding and writing, IMO--he shouldn't be explaining every little bit about the sociocultural history, he should be showing it. So it takes you a little while to figure out what a Seon is (shouldn't take 100 pages...)--but you're immersed in the world.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 12:29:49 AM »
Well, if you haven't reviewed yet, you should be able to submit your own review contradicting it.

Yeah. Eddings? Sure, Brandon's read Eddings. Who hasn't? (Well, I hadn't ever read him until I did the books on tape a couple months ago.) But Elantris is so far from Eddings that it's not even...okay, it is funny.

Elantris doesn't have any prophecies! Eddings is all about prophecies. Elantris doesn't have any wizards...or coming-of-ageness...or long journeys...or horses...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 06:47:54 PM »
I agree with Ookla. Eddings hasn't really written anything like Elantris that I know of. The review might have been referring to similarities in writing style but I think it was simply someone who considers all fatasy novels to be the same. Anyways the review compaing Elantris to Eddings' works is obviously not very credible.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 10:50:43 PM »
The idea that Elantris is ripped off of Eddings just seems dumb to me. I can understand where the reviewer got their opinion from, the fact that there's lots of politics and sceming around with governments in each. But it's just stupid to assume the only way he could have thought of it was if he ripped it all off Eddings, if EUOL hadn't ever read the Belgariad, it'd still be the same book.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 11:23:56 PM »
In the belegriad, governments are generally embodied by one guy - usually the King. Scheming is very limited. In the sparhawk books it's more but the scheming results in the characters going on quests, rather than the scheming being an end of itself that it is in Elantris.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 12:02:14 PM »
In the Belgariad...

The main character was a farmboy, who was fifteen, with a white/silver scar on his palm, who went on a long journey with an old man who at first appeared to be a simple bard...

Ummm...no wait, that was in Eragon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 01:21:42 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 12:18:56 PM »
I'm trying to see a connection there.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 12:23:28 PM »
I think her point is that there's not a whole lot original about Eddings. Though I wouldn't know--I've never read him.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 01:12:19 PM »
Eragon (Paolini) is a rip off of Eddings. Much more so than Elantris. All those things I mentioned occur in each book, but the Belgariad was written 25 years before Eragon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 01:13:57 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 01:26:32 PM »
And written better :o
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 01:37:59 PM »
Eragon is certainly less confusing than Eddings' Belgariad, which I thought had way too many people and countries to keep track of. But Eragon is definitely YA, it's less sophisticated than Eddings. Which makes sense, considering how it was written by a kid.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 01:43:38 PM »
Uh, beregiad wasn't complicated at all. It's very YA. If keeping track of 20 very archetypical and pronounced characters who all represent their nation is hard then I guess i'm a genius. The nations are also extremely simple - 'viking place', 'clever guys with peat and pikes', 'evil dudes who are stupid', 'evil dudes who are nasty'.

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 01:49:08 PM »
I'm gonna have to agree with Entropy here.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Belgariad and the Mallorean by Eddings.  But, IMO, it certainly could not be described as overly complicated.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch