Author Topic: MISTBORN Cover Art  (Read 8163 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: MISTBORN Cover Art
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2006, 04:16:06 AM »
In reply to the original question up above, QuickTidal, a lot of the people on this board are long-time friends of mine who read my manuscripts for me during the long years when I was trying to get published.  Some of them may even be relations of mine, though whether they will claim me depends on the day in question.  

Generally, the TWG is a board started by a group of friends who wanted to keep in touch with one another once they graduated from college.  Then, I bunch of crazy Brits, Aussies, and...where you from Gorgon?  Michigan?  Anyway, a bunch of random people started hanging out with us and saying neat things, which we think is cool.

I got published, and Dan aka Fellfroshe (the editor of the TWG and head honcho, who also happens to be the DM of my RPG campaign and a member of my writing group) let me set up shop here to have some Brandon Sanderson forums.  

So, that's the short story regarding why a lot of people here have read MISTBORN.  They bug me for hard copies and advance copies and the like.  Those I trust REALLY well get electronic reading copies out of me to give feedback, and then get into the acknowledgements page of the book.  (A lot of these people are in the acknowledgements of ELANTRIS.)  So, hang around long enough, and you might be able to talk me into sending you reading copies.  

Though, I do send out sample chapters to pretty much anyone who asks.  So, if you ever want to see the first three chapters of anything I'm working on, just give me an email through my website.  Or ask here.  Whatever.

(Oh, and for other people, I believe QT here is a guy who was posting on a thread about ELANTRIS over on the Erickson forums, so be nice to him.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

QuickTidal

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Cadre Mage, 2nd Army, 9th Squad, Bridgeburners
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2006, 10:24:33 AM »
In reply to the original question up above, QuickTidal, a lot of the people on this board are long-time friends of mine who read my manuscripts for me during the long years when I was trying to get published.  Some of them may even be relations of mine, though whether they will claim me depends on the day in question.  

Generally, the TWG is a board started by a group of friends who wanted to keep in touch with one another once they graduated from college.  Then, I bunch of crazy Brits, Aussies, and...where you from Gorgon?  Michigan?  Anyway, a bunch of random people started hanging out with us and saying neat things, which we think is cool.

I got published, and Dan aka Fellfroshe (the editor of the TWG and head honcho, who also happens to be the DM of my RPG campaign and a member of my writing group) let me set up shop here to have some Brandon Sanderson forums.  

So, that's the short story regarding why a lot of people here have read MISTBORN.  They bug me for hard copies and advance copies and the like.  Those I trust REALLY well get electronic reading copies out of me to give feedback, and then get into the acknowledgements page of the book.  (A lot of these people are in the acknowledgements of ELANTRIS.)  So, hang around long enough, and you might be able to talk me into sending you reading copies.  

Though, I do send out sample chapters to pretty much anyone who asks.  So, if you ever want to see the first three chapters of anything I'm working on, just give me an email through my website.  Or ask here.  Whatever.

(Oh, and for other people, I believe QT here is a guy who was posting on a thread about ELANTRIS over on the Erickson forums, so be nice to him.)

Ok, way cool. I actually had a message board with my friends once cause we could never keep in touch via email, so I can dig that.

Thanks for the info, I assumed it was something along those lines. ^_^

....and I am INDEED the one and same QuickTidal from the Erikson boards!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 10:25:31 AM by QuickTidal »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 06:44:14 PM »
Where are said boards located?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

QuickTidal

• Level 1
  • Cadre Mage, 2nd Army, 9th Squad, Bridgeburners
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2006, 01:49:23 PM »

http://www.malazanempire.com/forums/

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2006, 06:16:48 PM »

The depths of HELL!

...of doom!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2006, 12:25:06 AM »
And I'm sure I'll have very mixed feelings when he finally publishes a book I *haven't* already read.   (Mixed because I'll be all "Wah, I moved out of Utah and never get to see anyone anymore!")
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2006, 09:28:52 AM »

The depths of HELL!

...of doom!

Is the hell of doom worse than the regular hell? Or is it better because it's the hell where doom goes, and since doom likes things ... er... hellish, it's a nice place where old ladies drink tea while their socialite friends read a play aloud in the garden?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2006, 09:34:40 AM »
No SE, its England.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2006, 12:06:19 PM »
Is the hell of doom worse than the regular hell?

Of course, by defenition, when you tack doom onto the end of something it gets worse.
As for your thing about doom going there, and hell and doom canceling each other out or whatever, it made no sense.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2006, 12:43:32 PM »
It wasn't about cancelling out. It was about a hell FOR doom, rather than it being a quality of the Hell.
Sort of like Hell of monkeys
The monkeys might be the tormentors, or it might be the hell where monkeys go.

I'm asking if this hell of doom is where doom is merely adjectival, or if it's where condemned doom goes for eternity.

I can't be held responsible for your lack of ability to read plain English.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2006, 12:49:27 PM »
I realize that doom, being a noun and hence a "thing," could grammatically be said to go somewhere and be subjected to something. Even so, I have trouble imagining what a non-physical aspect could do to condemn itself, and how it could be sent anywhere or subjected to anything.

That said, it occurs to me that the only way a doom could be condemned is if it failed to fulfill the measure of its creation, i.e., it was a very poor doom that did not harm, terrify, or doom the people it was supposed to. In that case, subjecting it to the typical hell seems more effective than subjecting it to some can't of anti-hell, because it's obviously a more sensitive, caring sort of doom that would find the anti-hell somewhat less than hellish.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2006, 01:05:56 PM »
What if it was just lazy?