Author Topic: MISTBORN Cover Art  (Read 8223 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: MISTBORN Cover Art
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 02:47:17 PM »
So did EUOL have to write out the spikes in the book as well?  It wouldn't make much sense to have spikes in text, but no spikes on the cover.  And I liked the spikes.  Graphic violence for the win!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 04:02:38 PM »
They originally had the spikes, . . . but from what I understand TOR wanted them removed since they thought they were too graphic and might deter sales.

Ahh, well, I can see that happening. I wonder how this affects the "revelations" EUOL was saving for how the Inquisitors are created? Doesn't this screw up some of the internal logic of "Spikealurgy" ;) somehow. (Note: I haven't finished WELL yet...)

Anyway, I agree with Froskar that the retro funkiness of the art is a big selling point. I still have some nitpicky things I don't like. But, by and large, it's definitely attention-getting.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 04:03:40 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 04:14:38 PM »
I think someone may have pointed this out already--and correct me if I'm wrong--but all priests in the Steel Ministry have tattoos of some sort.  The ones on the cover must not be Inquisitors.

Either way, the cover's cool enough that I would definitely pick up the book if I hadn't heard anything about it.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 06:56:54 PM »
Okay I changed my mind. I think that the art on Elantris was better for a debut novel and this is better for umm, a non-debut novel
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 06:58:04 PM by OneEyedGreenPerson »
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 08:08:27 PM »
So did EUOL have to write out the spikes in the book as well?  It wouldn't make much sense to have spikes in text, but no spikes on the cover.

It's no big deal for the cover picture to be wrong in the details. It's been done that way in the industry since time immemorial. At least here it was done by choice rather than negligence--the artist not even reading the book (though even now it's only an assumption that the artist read it).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dark prophecy

• Level 1
  • I was raised by a cup of coffee
    • View Profile
    • Wotmania
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2005, 06:06:33 AM »
Meh, spikes or no, it's pretty cool. I give it an A. Besides, I'm more interested in what's INSIDE the book. I usually just toss the cover in a corner with the other covers so that they don't get too damaged, and commence reading.
Pocatello, the armpit of the universe...

QuickTidal

• Level 1
  • Cadre Mage, 2nd Army, 9th Squad, Bridgeburners
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 11:14:05 PM »
I must be missing something being such a newb here. It would seem some folk have gotten their hands on all or part of Mistborn to read.....

....and here I am salivating for more Sanderson after Elantris.

Interesting...^_^

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 03:13:26 AM »
That's because they've joined the Brandon Sanderson Fan Club, which is $20/year payable to my paypal account.  This will get you full access to his website and drafts of all his books.

Which reminds me, all of you are past due for 2006, pay up.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 08:59:05 AM »
I paid you already. It's the $20 in your wallet that says "monopoly" on it.

QuickTidal

• Level 1
  • Cadre Mage, 2nd Army, 9th Squad, Bridgeburners
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2006, 01:23:18 AM »
That's because they've joined the Brandon Sanderson Fan Club, which is $20/year payable to my paypal account.  This will get you full access to his website and drafts of all his books.

Yeah, I said I was a newbie, not a troglodite.

Is that the same Paypal account that you use to sell poorly painted warhammer men to unsuspecting 12 year olds?

:P

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 08:57:04 AM »
As well as "candy"

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2006, 12:34:44 PM »
Call me sheltered--pun intended--but I had to look up "troglodyte." :)  That's definitely the word for the day.  Anyway, back to my cave.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 12:44:27 PM »
That cover is kind of cool but not quite perfect. I don't like the face in the bottom left - it's looks badly out of place. The orange bars are low-tech as well. The rest of it is pretty cool.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 07:16:23 PM »
I like this cover much more than the cover for Elantris, which was very good, but still seemed out of place for me.  Of course, I would rather have this book bound in leather with weather-torn pages...that would fit it very well.  Vin looks kinda like a fairy here, but it's just the mist--the mist is done so well it makes up for any grievances I may hold against this cover.

Other than the fact that Kelsier isn't on it.  That makes me a sad panda, seeing as he is possibly my favorite character to ever come from you, EUOL.  Oh well, it is still top class.

No matter how many times I pay you, you say I haven't paid.  It's almost like there's some sort of funny-buisiness going on here...oh well, no use coming up with conspiracy theories, the twenty bucks will be transfered again today.

:-D.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 08:01:22 PM »
I didn't like the Elantris cover at all. The characters looked too stiff (not like military stiff - more like manequin stiff) and the whole thing was just... bleh. I prefer book covers to be vivid and exciting. Almost none are - too many are just bland pictures of guys standing around holding swords on dull backgrounds.

This one is pretty cool though. Reminds me of exalted. And I never did get around to reading mistborn :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch