Author Topic: MISTBORN Cover Art  (Read 8047 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
MISTBORN Cover Art
« on: December 08, 2005, 06:25:23 PM »
Here it is:

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: MISTBORN Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 07:00:41 PM »
Sweet.  Mucho different from Elantris, but cool nonetheless.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 07:19:13 PM »
It's really impressive, though that might be partly because it's so big here.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 07:22:43 PM »
Sweet! The guy's face is very cool, though personlly I like the style of Elantris more.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 07:25:03 PM »
Actually, I personally like this one more for some reason.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 07:49:50 PM »
I like that it's different. I'm not quite sure what's going on with the steel inquisitor's eyes--didn't they used to have spikes in them? And I still think we should see more of Vin and less of the inquisitor, and a better angle of Vin. But nonethless, it's a different style than the average fantasy out there, and it will communicate it in the artwork, even better than Elantris did, I think. I love the font.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 10:04:09 PM »
Y'know, no matter how many times I read about Vin jumping around in her party dresses, I never quite realized just how out-of-place it would look till I saw this cover art.

That Steel Inquisitor is gonna give me nightmares.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 10:19:58 PM »
I really like the angle of Vin in this picture.

The illustration shows off some strong figure drawing skills. It's also a good action shot and the dress is well done.

I also thought that the Inquisitors had spikes in their eyes.

I'm not too fond of the lines at the top and bottom of the page. Seams a little busy and they don't quite seem to be the right color.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 11:46:54 PM »
Aw, man, where are the spikes?! Stacer and 42 are right, it's rather disappointing that the Inquisitors (*shudder*) don't have the steel spikes through their eyes. :(

Anyway, I do like the figure of Vin.  She looks small but powerful.  Perfect.  Even the curve of her foot is fascinating somehow.  The glass dagger is way cool. I'm glad she's got the short hair like in the book, too.

But what's with the swirls on her petticoat? I guess this can be chalked up to reinforcing the swirling mist theme. Yet I think they're distracting.  I kept wondering why the odd decoration.  Did anyone else wonder about this?  I guess I feel like it takes away from studying -her- and the knife or mistcloak.

I love the mistcloak! I envisioned it being more full, but it's great to see Vin wearing it.

The Mistborn font is cool. It looks very similar to this "Crusades" font I used for the title page on my Tor profile. Interesting.

The lines at the top and bottom sure are strange--almost like some kind of printing press mistake. The lines are rather reminiscent of a comb, actually. Huh.

I wonder if -not- having Kelsier on the cover tips the cards a bit too much, though? Sort of like not giving a Star Trek ensign a last name in an episode?  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 11:48:41 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 12:21:06 AM »
Yeah. Steel spikes. Assuming those ARE inquisitors. They look more like statues.

The color scheme is...curious. Very muted. But I guess it's not a very colorful world they live in, is it?

No cover quote space? No "by the author of Elantris" etc? Or is this just preliminary?

It's rather different from any cover I've seen recently. That may help.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 12:56:25 AM »
It is very pink and purple...makes me think they are really trying to sell this to a female audience.

I didn't really notice the swirls in the petticoat the first time.

I like the title font, but I'm not so keen on the other fonts. The author font seems a little too clunky and the subtitle kind of gets lost.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 12:57:06 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 02:41:28 AM »
I actually just looked at it again from a smaller scale, so I could see it all at once, and I've changed my mind, at least partly. When I see it smaller, I can see the line and it feels like you can see where Vin is looking, feel the motion, you know.

So, yes, I like it. And I must say that even though the steel inquisitor doesn't have spikes in his eyes, it's not as graphic as the spikes and still looks creepy.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 01:43:57 PM »
I like the color scheme a lot -- it follows the feel of the book.  The font, on the other hand, evokes merry prancing men in tights -- which is something I didn't get from Mistborn.  My guess is that it was a marketing decision -- probably the same reason for the removal of the spikes.  (I put an em dash in every one of the last three sentences -- Wow.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 01:46:20 PM by CtrlZed »

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 02:12:57 PM »
Dude!

That cover is awesome.  I love it.  I wish the Steel Inquisitors had spikes in their eyes instead of just featureless eyeballs but that complaint fades into insignificance in the face of the sheer awesomeness of the art.  It's retro in a good way.  It reminds me of all the sci-fi art from the golden age that I grew up with.  But at the same time it's far more realistic and has way more motion.

Score.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 02:20:27 PM »
They originally had the spikes, the concept art I'm looking at now has them, but from what I understand TOR wanted them removed since they thought they were too graphic and might deter sales.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.