Author Topic: Elantris Paperback  (Read 8093 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Elantris Paperback
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2006, 12:47:32 AM »
Yah, I hear he's especially keen of arrangments featuring nasturtiums and snapdragons. Indeed, I am most curious to see what other forays into commercial endorsement he has in mind. ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2006, 01:56:19 AM »
Manning wrote a book?  A sci-fi book?  What's it called?  I was a linguistics major, and I had him for syntax.  Tough class, but he never assigned a sci-fi book for it.  Now I'm interested.

Yeah. Ling 430 was a scream. I made the mistake of taking it on my first semester back at school in seven years.

Manning wrote a sci-fi book called Supposition Error. IIRC, it's less about the story, and more about trying to teach the reader about his first love: the Peircean paradigm. It was required reading when I took Ling 330 from him about ten years ago.

Holy cow, I'm old.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2006, 10:17:05 PM »
Certainly sounds like snoresville.  My condolences.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2006, 11:40:01 PM »
Hey!  I remember that book.  I "won" it at one of the first LTUEs I ever went to I think.  I remember liking it but thinking it was a major ripoff of startrek, self-referential, but still a rip-off.  Fortunately, I liked Star Trek.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2006, 12:12:35 AM »
Sounds about right. Manning is a major Trekkie. Of the original kind. He used to teach in class about how the characters in the original series fit into a two-tiered Peircean triangle. He's convinced that every group of characters that work will fit into this paradigm: LoTR, Harry Potter, Star Trek, etc . . .

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2006, 02:22:49 AM »
yeah, I got the first season of Survivor explained that way. Also how Friends was incomplete because it only had 6 people and was lacking the crucial 7th.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2006, 01:07:35 PM »
Also how Friends was incomplete because it only had 6 people and was lacking the crucial 7th.

Ah, that explains why the show only lasted ten seasons near the top of the ratings.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.