Author Topic: Wikipedia  (Read 10146 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 04:34:48 PM »
So submit your thing to the library already!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 04:41:11 PM »
I think the WP rules have something about not writing articles, or being involved in articles, about yourself.  I might be remembering wrong, but I read them back when I first sold a book, and figured it wouldn't be right to write an article about myself.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 04:41:13 PM »
It was my comment.  The change was from "has earned a Master's degree in Creative Writing from Brigham Young University" to "has not earned a Master's degree in Creative Writing from Brigham Young University yet, because he is lazy and has not submitted an academically-formatted copy of his thesis to the library."  (additions in bold)

If the comments could be labelled as sarcastic, it is because the subject's attitude towards his own situation is sarcastic, which attitude I obtained from direct conversation with the subject.  He thinks it's funny.  Why shouldn't I, or anyone else?

Understandably, one would have to be privy to such knowledge to be able to avoid interpreting the comment any other way.  But overall it was an honest and accurate statement (and funny too.)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 04:45:40 PM »
I dunno how EUOL feels about it, but just because the Wikipedia is about gathering human knowledge does not mean that all the articles need to be dry and humorless, nor does it mean that we need to be uptight about the article. I seriously wouldn't have started it if I had known people would be getting grumpy about it.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 04:50:29 PM »
I'm not being grumpy, but I guess my formal tone could lead one to believe that.  I just didn't want to be accused of doing anything wrong or deriding one of my friends.  I think the article's great.  I'm just concerned about getting along with everybody.

And I think the whole situtation with Brandon and his degree is mildly ridiculous.   :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 04:54:38 PM »
I'm not the one who reverted it. A prolific wikipedia user (or an automatic bot he runs in order to catch defacing edits) reverted it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 05:12:36 PM »
Be that as it may, people, relax yourselves.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 05:22:43 PM »
I think I should be mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

Actually, I don't, but I thought it would be funny to say anyway. I suppose if I really wanted to be in it I could just go edit myself in.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 05:41:26 PM »
Well, I changed the original "holds" to "has earned," which I think is distinction enough, but someone else changed it to "has almost earned."

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 05:58:02 PM »
I changed it again. "Has almost earned" reminded me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail where Sir Robin "nearly defeated" the Chicken of Leicester (or whatever it was).

Now it says that he "resides in Orem, Utah, while he earns his Master's degree in Creative Writing" at BYU.

I think it sounds more pro-active that way.

And speaking of such, I'm signing off to do pro-active things of my own.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 02:43:24 PM »
I changed some stuff in the article - some guy came along and his editing fubared a couple lines in the Elantris section. I'd take those joke lines out SE. I also started a Gyorn page, but it needs a couple more details I think. Check out the discussion page for Gyorn to see what i missed.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 03:38:03 PM »
I expanded and reworded a little more. Then I immediately did a minor change, and it only kept my "m" note for the second change, not any of my earlier changes (it kept the changes, just not my notes)... I should have just done "preview."

(Um...if you think I made a mistake, just say so--don't say "some guy.")
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 03:43:15 PM by OoklaTheMok »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 03:50:06 PM »
Well Ookla how was entropy to be able to know it was you?  He's the only person in the history with a name resembeling his TWG name.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 03:50:17 PM »
I assumed it was that Artas guy, since the editing looked like it had been done by someone who had not read Elantris. :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 04:00:50 PM »
When he said it in this thread I didn't guess it was me, but in the "discussion" page he specifically said I was the one who messed it up.

Not a problem, since with so many people editing things, it gets confusing, but it would help avoid communication problems, Entropy, if you would just say what you mean...

But you're right, Sprig...I easily forget that "Ookla" and "Peter" are not necessarily synonyms as far as the rest of the world is concerned...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:02:48 PM by OoklaTheMok »