Author Topic: Agents and Editors  (Read 16084 times)

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
Re: Agents and Editors
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2006, 07:08:47 PM »
If I can get it off work, I'll definitely be going to World Fantasy.  And the anime rooms was a joke (referring to goofing off) and not a way of convincing anyone to go or not go.  World Fantasy this year had a lot of Young Adult panels, too, with people who actually knew what they were talking about (unlike the Nasfic YA panels).  I don't know if that's an every-year thing, but it would be right up your alley, Fish.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 07:09:23 PM by CtrlZed »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2006, 07:30:03 PM »
Wow, no one told me that. Perhaps *I* should go to WF. And be on a panel. :)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2006, 07:53:53 PM »
I'll have to consider it.  I really want to go to both, actually, but it's going to depend on the money thing, because I need to go to BYU's YA con this summer more than any of the others, so that one takes monetary precedence.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2006, 08:29:59 PM »
Hey, is the BYU YA con (I totally had to look up that lingo), is that in the summer? Someone told me there might be one next month? Is that just wishful thinking? We were talking about writer's conferences at this Schooled Magazine meeting and a guy totally thought there was one in March.

I DO know for sure that there's an LDStorymakers writing conference in March (I get to be a flunky and pass out fliers or something).
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2006, 08:43:45 PM »
BYU's science fiction and fantasy symposium is next month: http://www.ltue.org/
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2006, 08:58:43 PM »
Oh wow! You guys really know everything, don't you? I'm totally going.
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »
If you're into YA, Guitarbabe, then you might also have heard about the conference (not con) that BYU's having in a week or two.  Some big YA authors are going to be there--I think it's more of a symposium than a conference, really.  They have a week long writing conference in the summer that's totally worth it.  Dave Wolverton will be doing the Fantasy group this year.  $400 for the week, and there's usually at least one agent and one editor there, as well as many YA authors who know what they're talking about.

MsFish--is that the one you'll be going to?  Which section?  And yes, I plan on going to both WorldCon and World Fantasy this year.  I feel like after the response I got last time, I'd be dum not to.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2006, 12:00:11 AM »
Guitarbabe, another good source of marketing research is the Writer's Market book. Suprisingly, though, they don't have one geared just to SciFi/Fan

Actually, there is. They don't update it all that often though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2006, 01:46:31 AM »
Parker, where can we find details on the upcoming YA writing conference?
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2006, 04:04:46 AM »
Hm, is the upcoming YA conference/symposium (not the one in the summer) new? It wasn't around when I was there, I think. Very cool that they're focusing on it.

I've thought about coming down for LTUE, and did go so far as to ask if work might find the possibility of paying for my airfare down, but I'm thinking it probably won't happen. Actually, looking at CONduit's schedule (if I were to pop down for a local con--I have an author who lives in Spanish), it might be a little more interesting. Shannon Hale's going to be at that, too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 04:05:21 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2006, 07:44:59 AM »
It's been around for at least 2 years, many of the out of town speakers stay at the Cotten Tree.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2006, 04:59:54 PM »
The upcoming Children's/YA con that guitarbabe has heard about may be the one I've gone to the past two years in March. It is not at BYU--it's at UVSC. It is called the Forum on Children's Literature, and it is for teachers, writers, illustrators, and librarians. The link is here. I have attended twice and found it to be very good. If you are a student, it is the best deal around--I think it's like only $35 for both days, and you get fed. If you're not, it's a little over $100 I believe. Still probably worth it--because you get to meet an editor and local writers, plus the special guests--but still not as good of a deal as when you're a student (which is why I got to go the last two years no problem).

I found this event to be more organized and helpful than Nasvic (the con we went to last September). The nice thing is that they had an editor from a good Children's/YA press each year--Candlewick two years ago and I think HarperCollins last year, I'd have to check my notes--and both times the editors said, "Since you are at this con, anything you send to me you can mark as 'requested material'"--and they said this whether you talked to them or not in person, they just announced it to everyone. And the break-out classes are NOT panels, so people actually plan and put together good, helpful information. I recommend it.

If you can only do one, though, do BYU's YA Conference in the summer--the writing one. I went two years ago, and it was very good. Some people on the board went last year and didn't find the workshopping part as helpful, but you still get to meet two editors and an agent, and the afternoon break-out classes have lots of information usually. Besides, you never know when Chris Crowe might perform Britney Spears again--he did it two years ago when I went! Definitely worth the $400.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2006, 05:02:07 PM »

Actually, there is. They don't update it all that often though.

Where do you find it? I did a basic search on Amazon and came up only with the Children's and the General.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2006, 06:04:59 PM »
Ah, then, okay. I know about that one. That's the one I went to my last year there, and wished I'd known about it longer. I concur with Chimera's assessment of it--it's a very, very good conference, and it's sponsored by SCBWI.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2006, 07:24:25 PM »
I just called the registration people for UVSC's Forum on Children's Literature (see above long post from me), and because I am defering for a semester and still technically a student, I can get the discount and get the whole deal for $35. Being a perpetual student has it's perks, I guess.  ;)

I am seriously considering coming up and going to it. 35 bucks for a good con, you can't beat that. And the middle of March is probably a good time to go apartment hunting in Salt Lake, making my final decisions about where I'm going to live. So I may visit in March! Yay!

I'm also considering coming up for LTUE, but don't get your hopes up. It kind of depends on gas prices or if some friends want to carpool to Provo.