Author Topic: Agents and Editors  (Read 16087 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Agents and Editors
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 09:05:40 PM »
ELANTRIS was actually about 18 months from signing, 26 months from the day that I got the call saying that they wanted to buy the book.  Negotiations with the agent went from about April-November.  It was published in May of not the next year, but the year after that.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 02:47:30 PM »
Listening to the podcast "The Secret" by NYT bestseller Mike Stackpole one more reason you may want to finish the book is that with a finished product you can know who to send it too.

He asks the writer to pose this question to themselves and their proofreaders. Which author already published is this book most in the style of?

When you know who its like, send the manuscript to that publishing house. Why? They already know how to market it, and can even put ads for your book in the next Robert Jordan, David Eddings (or whatever book) Heck they may even get them to look at it an submit a blurb. Plus its something that they look for (built in audience and all)

Then get yourself an agent... its apparently a lot easier when you say, TOR and I are in negotiation for a book I submitted than I have this book I'd like to send in.

You should listen to the Podcast ...
you can find it at this link here

http://stormwolf.com/podcasts/index.html
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 08:31:20 PM »
Ah hah! That's where I read it. You find a publisher who prints your kinda stuff. This finding an agent and a publisher for my sci-fi/ fantasy is something I'm VERY interested in, seeing as I've been looking into it for years (and sending out with very little luck). I actually did the same thing with my romantic comedy, checked out who liked uh...maybe I shouldn't post that, oh, I'll do it, the shallow stuff (as opposed to um, deep).
Anyhoo, I'll just have to hit the bookstores and try it again with the sci-fi.
The only problem is I'm very unfamiliar with a lot of the sci-fi authors. To be perfectly honest, I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy when I was a kid (loved Dragon Lance...I think it was the battle scenes and Tasselhof, though it took me forever to realize he wasn't just a teenage idol airhead--c'mon, I was in fifth grade and I started in the middle of the trilogy--I didn't get that concept either. When a particular someone died, my brother had to dry my tears and tell me there were more books and MAYBE, JUST MAYBE that particular someone didn't really die).
And now I just watch the sci-fi/ fantasy movies. Let's just say I stole my older brother's books and then when he left for college, I wasn't talented enough to find a good book on my own...and then I just read the assigned books in school from there. Perhaps admitting that is death, except that never really stopped my imagination or kept me away from my notebooks.
To make a long story short (or shall we say, I made it way longer than it needed to be), if anyone wants to take a look at my website (and like I said before, ignore that the background of the sci fi is in pink--one of my friends helping me out with it thinks he's hilarious...and he might have a point), it's www.stephaniefowers.com and if you want to look at the blurbs and tell me who writes a similar story, maybe I can look them up and figure out who's their agent (that's a hard one), but at least figure out their publisher and go from there. And if not, just take a look at it because it's fun. Let's just say I definitely have my favorites in there. And please ignore my blurbs for my romantic comedy (because you might think I'm serious AND I'm really just a jokester, but some people get so offended nowadays.)
I'll be checking out the bookstores. Thanks again and let me help you in any way I can too. My gmail account is posted on that site too, Steph
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 09:22:09 PM »
Good ol' Tasselhof, what a way to die too.  Think they brought him back to life latter on though, which is a shame, since I'm kind of a "once they die, they should be dead" type of guy.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

guitarbabe

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 12:54:22 AM »
Yeah, well, I had no idea they could bring people back to life, that's why I was so upset! But then I guess I really didn't grow up on soap operas either.

www.stephaniefowers.com

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 01:39:30 AM »
Nice website, guitarbabe.  Saan ang mission mo sa Pilipinas?  Nagserve ako sa Quezon City.  Congrats sa pagpupublishing ng romance novel mo!

guitarbabe

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 02:00:20 AM »
Salamat! Nagmission ako sa Cabanatuan. Natawag Ilangapo gnayon (siguro). Gwabe (sp?) talaga on tagalog ko gnayon (mga limang taon nang bumalik ako), cave man na ako, pero ayos lang. Kailangan magpractice ulit.

TRANSLATION: Thank you. I served my mission in Cabanatuan, though I think it's called Ilangapo now. My Tagalog is so bad right now. It's been five years since I've returned and now I'm a cave man, oh well. I need the practice.

www.stephaniefowers.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 02:58:53 AM »
wow, you two spell worse then I do.  I couldn't even read what you wrote.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 03:13:56 AM »
LOL. Sprig, that just made my night.  ;D

Guitarbabe, another good source of marketing research is the Writer's Market book. Suprisingly, though, they don't have one geared just to SciFi/Fan, but I bet there is a section in the book. I am familiar with the Children's Writers and Illustrator's Market book, published by the same people, and it is very helpful. All my creative writing classes said these market books are a must have. If you can't afford it, or don't feel like buying a new one each year, check out the local library. I know the HBLL has a publishing lab and they are making more of an effort to have books like this.

Hope that helps some.  :)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 03:53:03 AM »
Wljkewjp slkdljsk sdlperpowekr, so werweopiurewoiu (might be spelled wrong) skdjdk.  "Rumor" banana?

Translation:  I got back in '98, so I've been home a little while now, too.  I thought they had stopped sending American sisters to the Philippines.  "Rumor" lang ba ito?

To keep the thread on topic: Agents are a good idea.  One of the best ways to find one is to go the conventions like WorldCon and World Fantasy and then ask the pros lots of questions.  A contingent of Timewasters people are going to WorldCon in August.  I'm sure there's plenty of room more.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 04:05:30 AM »
The more the merrier. This is getting to be a tradition.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2006, 04:27:48 AM »
From how I understand it the Sci-fi/fantasy market is much more competitive then the LDS fiction market and some editors won't even read your stuff unless you have an agent.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2006, 08:57:23 AM »
We're going to become the focus site for LDS fiction chat.
Good bye game and SF focus!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2006, 09:02:51 AM »
Quick SE, start locking any non-nerd related threads!

Next think we know EUOL will be writing romance novels...oh wait he already is. ;D

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2006, 09:09:57 AM »
DANG! We've already lost one of our stalwarts!