Author Topic: 53-3 annotation  (Read 2835 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
53-3 annotation
« on: February 08, 2006, 01:05:03 AM »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 02:30:01 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: 53-3 annotation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 03:16:03 AM »
ya, he may want to add spoiler tags to some parts of it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 03:57:56 AM »
The website warns that there's spoilers in the annotations, doesn't it?
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 06:57:40 AM »
No the site doesn't, though I've been meaning on adding such a warning, EUOL adds any warnings himself.  If there are spoiler tags in the text then clicking on the show spoiler button will reveal them.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 12:45:29 PM »
I don't think it's a spoiler.  It just does what he wants it too.  It gives the reader who has read the annotation the very real idea that SOMEONE IMPORTANT will die in Mistborn.  Which knowledge adds tension, which is good.  It adds to the experience of reading the book.  Calling it a spoiler, either here or in the annotation would just give a hint as to who it is.  Which he doesn't want.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 01:20:46 PM »
Sure, I agree with Skar in terms of tension. If readers feel like their beloved characters are in actual danger, then the writer has really done his or her job.

I like Brandon's explanation of why, realistically, you shouldn't protect your characters from all harm--even death.

BUT I think that this annotation taken in combination with the hints in the book itself about a certain character's demise are perhaps too much foreshadowing, thus becoming a potential spoiler as Ookla worried. If it were me, I'd probably not be so specific (i.e., not include a telling phrase such as "try and overthrow an evil dictator is a dangerous decision").
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 01:22:25 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »
That is me referring to overthrowing Iadon/Telrii from ELANTRIS, referring to viewpoint characters in ELANTRIS.  Relationship to any other books by myself is coincidental.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 02:29:35 PM »
But you said "viewpoint character"...

*shrug*
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!