Author Topic: Spanish ELANTRIS is out  (Read 4110 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Spanish ELANTRIS is out
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 03:25:06 PM »
I would say, more correctly, that none of you as obsessed enough with zombies.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 03:37:33 PM »
Zomies are overrated.

The spanish cover has some nice design, but some of the details are too gothik. I really don't like the naked man statue.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 08:07:56 PM »
Can't help but wonder what EUOL thinks about it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:08:18 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 11:40:48 PM »
Poke--->EUOL
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mister M

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 02:26:15 PM »
I'd just like to point out that OSC's cover quote was translated as "The most beautiful fantasy novel that will be written in many years." (emphasis added)

I think they might want to speak with their translator about English verb tense a bit more.  ;)
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 03:03:17 PM »
No it's just that good that nothing better is coming for many years to come.

Great marketing strategy, but for those of us who have read Mistborn... ::)
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 03:10:49 PM »
Maybe the Spanish are planning to never release another fantasy novel again?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 04:00:47 PM »
I'd just like to point out that OSC's cover quote was translated as "The most beautiful fantasy novel that will be written in many years." (emphasis added)

I think they might want to speak with their translator about English verb tense a bit more.  ;)

I noticed that too. Ha!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »
Hopefully, the rest of the verb tenses are correct, although, I've notice mixing up verb tenses is a common translating error (or at least this proves that I'm not the only person who has mixed up verb tenses when translating).
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 07:39:47 PM »
The tense is not a direct translation, but it's a correct usage in some areas (for example, the part of Mexico where I lived). The problem is that Spanish's regional dialects are too different from each other, and it's impossible to write something that means the same thing in every single Spanish-speaking area of the world.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 05:19:28 AM »
I like it.  I don't love it, but I do like it.  I'm not sure I like using a photograph, and it certainly isn't accurate, but I do think it gives the proper feel, and so it gets a thumbs up from me.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gralin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 06:44:13 AM »
I know the last post on this one was in March, but I thought I'd throw this out there anyways... a la Fellfrosch, it's not only correct usage in Mexico, but would be understood properly pretty much anywhere.

There's two reasons why, both revolving around the fact that it indeed doesn't read:
"The most beautiful fantasy novel that will be written in many years."

First, though escribirá is future tense (hence "will write"), se escribirá is not future tense, it's reflexive.  It's not a concept easy to explain in English, but to a native Spanish speaker, it makes a lot of sense.  A serviceable somewhat direct translation might be "to be written" - I honestly don't know offhand what the original quote in English was, mind you.  A proper use of reflexive tense - in this sense of usage, since there are others - could be taken as present tense or future tense, depending on the situation.

Second, this wasn't a direct translation, it's a concept translation poked into a direct translation.  The first is useless without the second thrown in... to give an easily understood example why, try directly translating jokes word-for-word, literally, from Spanish to English.  It just doesn't work.  But translate the concept into something intelligible, and voila! you just might make someone laugh.

Which brings up a suggestion for anyone getting something translated... it really pays to not only get a good translator, but getting the translation through at the very least a few good native speakers before stamping your approval on it.  I've seen books fail in Spanish, for example, that really shouldn't have... I just don't think as much attention was paid to the translation process as the original publishing process.

Whew... that said, I hope Elantris didn't suffer from translation, and I really hope Mistborn doesn't!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 02:34:43 AM »
It's not a usage I'm familiar with--if I were translating it, I would have written "se ha escrito," but I don't use Spanish very often.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!