Author Topic: Your Article in Deep Magic  (Read 2664 times)

Shylydrya

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Seeker
    • View Profile
Your Article in Deep Magic
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:17:54 PM »
Hi, Brandon!  I just read your article in Deep Magic.  I wanted to tell you that I found it very inspiring.   :)  

I've been trying to write a book for ages, but I can't seem to settle down and do it.  Rather, I keep flitting from one project to another, never quite accomplishing much of anything.   :P  Someday, though!  hehe.

But anyway...I think I'll be toddling off to the bookstore to look for Elantris soon.  Thank you again for the wonderful article!
I'm a n00b.  Be gentle with me!

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Your Article in Deep Magic
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 05:38:45 PM »
Which article is this?

Shylydrya

• Level 1
  • The Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:43:22 PM »
Here's a link to the site.  

http://www.deep-magic.net/

It's in the May 2006 issue.   It's called "Narrative Soup" Or How I Turn Ideas Into Books.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 09:05:08 PM »
Ha!  You totally beat me to it, Shylydrya.  I just made a topic to talk about this, then refresh my browser to see that you'd already made one!  

I'm glad that the article helped you.  I get this question a lot, as most authors do, and so when Deep Magic asked me for an article, I figured that this was a good time to tackle the topic.  

My suggestion: Try and combine several of those projects into one super novel, then force yourself to work on it until it's done!

I hope you can find ELANTRIS.  The paperback comes out in about a month, so a lot of the hardbacks have been returned.  Try Borders, and--of course--Amazon still has it.  Otherwise you might have to wait for the paperback.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 10:49:08 PM »
I read your sample chapters on your website, and that's all of MISTBORN I've read (unlike others around here). That being said, you give kind of a spoiler in your article about the identity of Lord Ruler.

I was not amused.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »
It's not really a spoiler, since it should be pretty obvious to the reader from very early in the novel.  And there is a lot I didn't reveal.  The things I mention in the article are basic mythology for the world, known to pretty much every character.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 11:13:37 PM »
OK. That's fine. I guess. Just, having read the first three chapters and not gotten that information yet, it sorta jumped out at me.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 02:17:17 AM »
very interesting article Brandon!  I found it very informative, and gave me some great insights to the awesome story.

as far as Lord Ruler spoilers...dont feel dissapointed.  You think you understand, but it goes so much more deeper than what mentioned in Book1.  Thats all I will say.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shylydrya

• Level 1
  • The Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »
Woops!  Didn't mean to steal your thunder, Brandon.  <blush>  I was just very excited about the article and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it.  hehe.

You were correct about Elantris.   :(   Barnes and Nobles didn't have it.  I'm going to check with Borders and see if they have it.  If not, I'll ring the local library and check them...and if that fails, I'll get it from Amazon.  I just don't want to wait for shipping!  Patience is not one of my virtues.   :-[

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 03:00:37 PM »
Then get same day delivery from Amazon, they offer it in lots of places if you order before like 1 or 2pm.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shylydrya

• Level 1
  • The Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 03:23:58 PM »
Yay for Borders!  Picking it up tonight.   :)

JuanCafe

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 04:54:41 PM »
I just finished reading the article. It was marvelous. MARVELOUS. Kathleen Dalton Woodbury has been running multi-part article of mine in her pub on similar ideas. But this was so clear on the three types of ideas and things "sticking" to each other. I found a number of great insights. I just wanted more. More talk of character arcs, of setting ideas, and plot structures. More examples. Brandon, have you written anything else in this vein?

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 12:26:39 PM »
Sounds like Brandon needs to write a How to Write Fiction book.

GLE

• Level 3
  • blah blah blah blah blah.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 06:14:50 PM »
 ;D I agree! go for it Brandon. well... after you finish your other books of course. but only if you want to... no pressure. hahahaha ;D