Author Topic: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]  (Read 35970 times)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2009, 06:36:26 AM »
Has Brandon specified a pattern for Feruchemical powers? I was just saying that if metals follow the same general pattern that was how it would likely be. Then again, Brandon's magic is always just a little off how I think it should work.... :P
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2009, 06:51:11 AM »
i understand and agree with what u were saying. just though i'd point out that he hasn't really specified a pattern for the assignment of feruchemical or hemalurgic powers. personally i'm waiting for the hopefully eventual feruchemy and hemalurgy posters. though that means the allomancy one would actually have to be released first *cough cough*
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Aghaene

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2009, 04:08:04 AM »
Sounds accurate to me, Sortitus. It's mostly the point I was trying to get across.

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2010, 08:42:07 AM »
Feruchemy

The best part of storing memory would be the ability to read your favorite books over and over again like it’s the first time. Elmandr and Reaves could watch Scrubs again.
This Post has been brought to you by Dyslexia and I.

Dr. Joe

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »
Feruchemy

The best part of storing memory would be the ability to read your favorite books over and over again like it’s the first time. Elmandr and Reaves could watch Scrubs again.

That is ingenious!

One of the best parts of Brandon's magic systems in Mistborn is the fun and off-beat applications.

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2010, 07:15:38 PM »
Feruchemy (For kids)

1. A six year old could become and adult and never look back (If the mechanic behind the process effects the body's development and not just toll time takes on a body) for it would cost no energy and they would gain strength and speed that comes with a fully developed body.

2. If development is part of the Feruchemy age mechanic then a large burst of energy could passably take someone using Feruchemy past the point of infancy so they can be slipped under a door or threw a metal great. ( :oThats kind of disturbing) 
This Post has been brought to you by Dyslexia and I.

Shadmere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2010, 05:21:34 AM »
That's a tough one.  Allomancy allows for a higher sustained level of awesome, but there's just something about Ferchemy . . .

I'd love to be able to store nearly as much as I want.  For small periods, a well-prepared Feruchemist could overpower any Thug.  I wouldn't be able to fly like a Mistborn, but drawing strength and storing weight would allow something very similar.  And the copperminds are just . . . wow.   The ability to store knowledge like that would be incredibly tempting.  Yeah,  I'd pick Feruchemy I think. 

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2010, 05:30:51 AM »
And die against a duralimin (how do you spell aluminium's counter-point again?) powered coin push!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shadmere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2010, 05:52:24 AM »
That's why you store up enough speed to dodge anything. ;)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2010, 06:35:40 AM »
Enough to go super-sonic?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Shadmere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2010, 06:45:03 AM »
. . . yes?

Haha.  Yeah, that would be hard.  Probably would take a few months of speed used up in a few seconds to dodge one duralumin-enhanced volley.

A Mistborn really does have superiority in most any fight, though a prepared Feruchemist would probably be able to take most any Misting.  The tradeoff is in the copperminds, more than anything.  Great at fighting, with an amazing mental capacity?  Or excellent at fighting.

Daenya

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
Personally, I'd go for Feruchemy.  I just love the idea of being able to use your idle time to store up attributes.  Watching TV, you don't need strength or speed, so you store them.  Sitting on the train in the morning, you don't need to see, so you can store it for when you need super sight.

Besides, I'm short sighted, so anything that would let me go without contacts for a bit, even though my eyesight would be worse while I'm storing it, would totally be worth it!

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2010, 04:38:01 PM »
A Mistborn really does have superiority in most any fight, though a prepared Feruchemist would probably be able to take most any Misting.
Depends on how long the feruchemist has been storing up power and how much he's willing to spend on the one fight.  Spending a year's worth of strength and speed in a few seconds, I'm pretty sure a feruchemist could rip off a duralumin/pewter burning mistborn's head before the mistborn could even react, despite the boost from a duralumin-fueled pewter flare, even if he did it right in the middle of the flare.

This, plus the ability to get his feruchemic power from an allomantic source, is the true secret of the Lord Ruler's power.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:40:21 PM by douglas »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
His fighting power predominately comes from being one of the original mistborn. And a duralimin fueled pewter mistborn is going to be a, to fast, agile, and resistant to "rip off their head" (pewter boost sense of balance and is easier to adjust to it's than boosting speed in feruchemy) so no duralimin tips the balance so far in a mistborns favor that their is no longer a competition. I mean a duralimin fueled coin push is faster than a normal bullet, and a bullet is faster than sound.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »
I think you're missing a crucial point here: while duralumin boosts power very high, it still hits a limit.  Feruchemy has no limit other than the amount of power you have available and are willing to spend.  Pewter = strength X.  Pewter+duralumin = strength 50X.  Feruchemy with enough power = strength 10000X, though that much power is hard to get.

In the beginning of Hero of Ages, when Vin and Elend are fighting an Inquisitor in the midst of a Koloss army, there is one instant where the Inquisitor moves ridiculously fast, to the point where Vin is absolutely certain that not even duralumin could explain it.  This Inquisitor has an extra spike that we, the readers, know grants the feruchemical ability of speed (I don't remember which metal that is).  Combine that degree of power with speed, strength, and mental speed all at once, and you have something not even a duralumin-fueled mistborn can match, for as long as the power holds out.  A feruchemist tapping enough speed could, in fact, move his own body faster than a duralumin-pushed coin.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:42:18 PM by douglas »