Author Topic: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]  (Read 30361 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2009, 05:56:25 PM »
Speed is nothing if you have no control and a pewter savant has an hell lot more control because of the expeirence required just to become one...and yes i used an before an h and most people forget that in traditional (proper) english you do that...well my teacher took points off if you didn't so i assume as much :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2009, 01:38:12 AM »
While it's true a Pewter Savant could probably take on a Feruchemist tapping 120% speed, could they do so at 200%? 300%? Pewter alone cannot stop a determined Feruchemist with sufficient stores. However, Allomancers do not have to rely entirely on Pewter. One big advantage Allomancers have over Feruchemists is the ability to push and pull on metals.

Feruchemical stores are relatively large chunks of metal, and while Weight could be stored or tapped to throw off the Allomancer, it would make it incredibly difficult to attack while tapping. The Feruchemist would need to tap a lot of extra Speed and Strength just to get moving at a normal speed, much more if they're trying to outrun someone burning Pewter. On top of that, Steelpushes get stronger the closer you are to an object, and more weight means more force. If the Feruchemist taps Weight, a flared Steelpush on their Metalminds will be enough to remain out of range until the stores are depleted, and storing Weight opens the opportunity for the Allomancer to Push the Feruchemist out of range.

And Champion Kaz, you only use "an" before a word starting with "H" if the "H" in question is silent. A/An choices are made entirely on phonetic sounds, so any word that starts with a consonant phonetic is associated with "a", and any word with a vowel phonetic is associated with "an". Was the word you used something like "honorable" or "honest"?
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2009, 05:41:58 AM »
Should have asked for the explanation when i got the 5 points deducted for using it improperly...i am properly chastened
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Aghaene

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2009, 06:17:52 AM »
And don't forget, I did mention mental speed (zincmind), which would allow the Feruchemist super-tapping physical speed to take better control of it, probably even better than a pewter-savant, with enough.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2009, 07:23:57 AM »
i agree with you, aghaene. but unfortunately there is some debate as to whether mental speed works that way. i too believe it does and would allow a feruchemist great control of their body even at incredible speeds. how it would work otherwise i don't know, but there are some who believe it does
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2009, 03:36:05 PM »
When did co-ordination become how fast you can think? i know human calculators who trip on their own feet and stupid people with great reflexes and body control...so how are the 2 related again?

Aghaene

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2009, 02:53:59 AM »
By allowing the neural pathways that coordinate bodily control form several times faster than normal. All a Feruchemist would need would be to fight with super-tapping mental and physical speed two or three times beforehand and then the neural pathways will be built, allowing the Feruchemist the aforementioned control.

AllWrong

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2009, 07:27:28 AM »
Feruchemy.  All those things I read and can't remember?  Not anymore!  ;D

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2009, 05:28:44 PM »
if you can specifically target different parts of your brain to speed up then it is possable but i still don't see it happening with out a training regimen and lots of expierence
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:30:45 PM by Champion Kaz »

Aghaene

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2009, 02:58:39 AM »
Training regimen, yes. But the whole purpose of using the zincmind beforehand would be so that the Feruchemist wouldn't need to have lots of experience.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2009, 05:20:27 AM »
That's illogical think it through...no matter how fast you can process body memory is essential and if you are unused to the processing speed you are just as likely to be awestruck and shutdown

Aghaene

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2009, 06:45:14 AM »
If a Feruchemist's brain could not get used to the processing speed in any practical amount of time there would be no point in having a zincmind.
And body memory is obviously not that essential or the increased size/strength that Sazed tapped would have thrown him off when he was fighting the koloss hordes and Marsh.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
He does more than rationalize it it's the truth the core of human interaction IS manipulation.... soothers and rioters just have a leg up on everyone else.... not to mention a good soother and rioter must be able to empathize with people so they know which emotions to change... just like someone who wants to persuade you to do whatever they want.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »
I think that emotional allomancers don't have any special abilities when it comes to empathy, which is why a good one is so hard to come by. Breeze says something to that effect in the first book when he's training Vin, I believe. They have to practice a lot. Just like all of the other mistings with their powers, detection/sensory allomancy excluded.

Mental speed seems to make people see things in slow motion, so it's basically a time-flow alteration as far as your mind is concerned. Your mind thinks that it's going the same speed, hence no mind overload. Physical speed is the external part of that, allowing you to move at the speed your mind is going. You can do them independently, but being really fast without a quick mind seems dangerous, and mental acuity alone will only help you so much. Since metals come in internal/external pairs, there's physical speed, physical strength, mental speed (perceptual time dilation), and mental strength (intelligence). Those four seem to be the most important Feruchemical skills for combat, with weight manipulation being a possible addition to the list.

I could be way off.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2009, 06:03:12 AM »
for the most part, i don't think ur off sortitus. the only problem i have with what u said is that if u look at the table in the backs of the books, the internal/external pairing law only seems to hold true for allomancy. however i do think that is what zinc essentially does. it "speeds up your thoughts" so depending on how much u tap at a time, u could possibly reach supercomputer levels of information processing. if u were to tap the same levels of physical speed u would really be moving and thinking at the ratio as normal. i believe that this would give u the same coordination as u normally would have.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.