Author Topic: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]  (Read 30321 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
Of course you'd have to spend quite some amount of time feeling and being very stupid. I suppose you don't need intellect while sleeping....

wow I just had this image of a feruchemist storing smarts while sleeping, his headphones going softly: "breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out."
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

sporkify

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2008, 03:24:07 AM »
Remember, you can't charge any metalmind other than for wakefulness when you sleep.  However, I don't need to be smart all the time.  In fact, I could use the spare time I have (Which is often in little chunks too small to do anything with) to charge them. 
Ha...Jeopardy would have to ban all metals from a person...
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2008, 08:17:05 PM »
huh, must've forgotten that.  ???
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

syrenyx

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2008, 08:19:56 PM »
the answer for me would be allomancy, assuming we're talking mistborn and not just a misting. feruchemy is seriously awesome and has its own things.... but it has drawbacks too. for one, you have to spend so much time storing atributes where in allomancy you just take it from somewhere else. plus.. you eat metal. thats awesome.
feruchemists cant really go 'flying' about cities the way allomancers do, what with steel pushing and iron pulling and so on.
feruchemists tinminds do not help their vision with darkness as much as tin does for allomancers.
and then theres atium.
all in all being an allomancer would just be more fun.

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2008, 03:10:35 AM »
the answer for me would be allomancy, assuming we're talking mistborn and not just a misting. feruchemy is seriously awesome and has its own things.... but it has drawbacks too. for one, you have to spend so much time storing atributes where in allomancy you just take it from somewhere else. plus.. you eat metal. thats awesome.
feruchemists cant really go 'flying' about cities the way allomancers do, what with steel pushing and iron pulling and so on.
feruchemists tinminds do not help their vision with darkness as much as tin does for allomancers.
and then theres atium.
all in all being an allomancer would just be more fun.

Well if you think about it where would you get all that metal? I mean if we are talking about in their world it might be helpfull then then if not you'd have to go looking for it every single time you need more.  Well I think feruchemists can fly around sort (more like old chinese style movies with the tree jumping).(plus they could totally be ninja lol). All they have to do is store weight and use some of their pewter mind to get the leap started then mid jump store more pewter. You don't lose any strength an gain weight for later use (imagines a 10 ton fall on a mistborn trying to steel push him back up hehehe). Actually feruchemists can use their metalminds at any setting. Mistborn have only 3 on, off and flare. So technically they can have better vision and senses than even a tin savant but only for a short period of time =]. Aw comon atium you had to pull that one out. Well a emptying out of a steelmind in 1 second could beat that hehe. how are you going to dodge or fight back when you can't move fast enough muahahah! Well i guess eating metal would be kinda cool....
It seems this post was totally useless.

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2008, 04:01:25 AM »
I dunno, I think Feruchemy is a lot more versatile...

I wouldn't mind being weak for extended periods because that's how I usually am so it wouldn't make much difference.  Allomancers can't heal rapidly with Gold or make themselves older or younger with Atium.  And it'd be fun to store Weight and release Strength at the same time, allowing yourself to fly around like the Hulk (he jumps far, very very far).  And you can always store an attribute any time you're not using it -- I'd only release the Strength for landings and jumps and go back to storing it while in the air.

All in all, I think the known Feruchemical powers are fairly evenly matched with the known Allomantic powers, and there are a lot more Feruchemical powers we don't even know about!

Ahem.  Hemalurgy sucks because you have to go to all that nasty trouble of killing people.  Uh...I mean...Hemalurgy is bad for ETHICAL reasons!  Yeah.  Plus, like, anyone can use Hemalurgy.  At least it seems to be a universal power -- anyone with the ability to kill something with a spike can use Hemalurgy.  Boooooring.

Loki76

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2008, 04:57:52 AM »
personaly I have to say feruchemy would be far more useful to me I think then allomancy.  reasons?

#1. I would love the ability to place a few unpleasant memories into a metalmind, then um, lose it somewhere :D  and be able to keep any memories I DONT want to lose forever.

#2. the storeing youth etc would be REALLY useful back in the days when I was younger. i.e. want to go out drinking and gambleing but only 16? no problem, store some youth and be older for a day. :D nobody questions someone who looks 40... then when one gets old, but wants to go have some fun like you were young again, all that stored youth from being young could really come in handy.....

#3 storeing weight? ok cant underestimate the ability to get heavy, OR light at any moment. same with strength. store some,  you want a mean punch, tap the strength right when you start punching, and tap stored weight.  you want to jump high? strength + store weight = fun of flying without the need to carry coins... st

Storing strength.  somewhat overrated probobly. but then probobly useful when one is trying to fall asleep and rather wound up (provided you stored mental speed as well, should be an easy way to fall asleep)

#4 storing warmth... ok, ever been way to hot? no problem.  too cold? no problem,  always comfortable. easily one of the best abilities

#5 storeing health. refer to comments about when one is young and in school, and wants to call in sick..........  *cough cough*   and same for work when you are older.  then access the stored health whenever you need it. both storing and tapping are still quite useful

#6 storeing senses. um, I cant count the number of times I wished to get rid of my sense of smell or taste. for a little while...  hard to beat this one.  probobly useful sometime to tap it. but far more useful to store it imho.

#7 storeing mental speed.  would be useful anytime I wanted to be a little more numb to listening to something I really wouldnt be listening to, and dont care about.  again, for more opportunity to store then need to tap. so again no shortage of power

overall virutaly any ability would be at LEAST as useful to store as to tap. leaving an easy and probobly neverending supply of power on demand :D  where as allomancy = weak once you run out of metals.

Loki

mistborn95

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2009, 01:29:55 AM »
Personally, I think Allomancy, if you can effectively supply all minerals, like atium, duralium, etc. Atium would work effectively against any Feruchemists, and you could use Chromium to destroy all of another Allomancer's metals if he started burning atium.

On that note, if a feruchemist could ingest Larasium, they would be invincible, and there is no known way of learning Feruchemy.

Of course, that is assuming you can't choose Hemalurgy, and learn everything

mistborn95

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2009, 01:32:50 AM »
In regards to Loki above, weight is also good for resisting an Allomantic Push, if you grab what they are pushing, as Sazed does to Marsh in Book 2 at the end.

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »
Allomancy.

The other may be just as powerful in the long run, or it may not, but Allomancy definitely seems like it would be more simple and more fun.

Show me the funny!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2009, 03:05:08 AM »
Who cares...Hoid's shard takes it all...that is if Bella doesn't get a hand gun anytime soon... :D
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Aghaene

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2009, 04:10:56 AM »
To the Allomancer's Atium argument, a Feruchemist could always tap a good deal of both mental and physical speed to compensate; knowing what will happen a half-second in the future won't matter if you can't keep up with it, even with pewter. So, for a one-time battle of equally competant opponants, a Feruchemist would probably win. (Pardon the arrogantly short explination; feel free to shoot it into the ground.)
But if one was to fight in a tournament, or in a day-in-day-out basis (i.e. mercenary or a more popular assassin), Allomancy would be the way to go for its 'easily-replenishable' attribute.

As a sidebar, would anyone be so kind as to point me to a link (or links) in this site that explains the roots of Chromium, Larasium, and the mysterious and elusive "Hoid"?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2009, 05:47:23 AM »
Well if the person is a pewter savant i doubt a keeper could keep up with them even at 20x human speed
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2009, 06:19:38 AM »
now i really think we need to see a pewter savant. but i disagree. i don't think the effect of a pewter savant could beat a feruchemist's speed.  a feruchemist could store up years worth of speed, not easily but you get the idea, a lot of power and squeeze it all out in a few seconds. you can't beat that.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2009, 06:28:34 AM »
Feruchemy. I'm not a person that gets into fights, so that pretty much rules out Allomancy. And I like the idea of storing warmth, memories, age, mental speed, physical speed/strength. It's quite appealing.