Author Topic: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]  (Read 30328 times)

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • <3
    • View Profile
Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »
[ Spoiler included ] So what would you rather have? Feruchemy or Allomancy? Tough question, huh? I know some of you have had the privilege of reading Mistborn 2 & 3 but I'm not really asking what you think Brandon's going to develop. I'm just very curious about which magic you'd rather have...

And no fair saying you'd be like the Lord Ruler. ;)
a night light is often needed to guide my way.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 02:40:09 PM »
I'd still rather be the Lord Ruler, be that fair or not. I just wouldn't put myself in charge. That way people wouldn't try to depose me, and I could tell them the important secrets. Everything would be more stable.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 03:55:17 PM »
I think I'd go with Feruchemy.  
That way, I could keep the metals on me at all times, whereas with Allomancy, you have to burn all the metals in your stomach eventually (or bad stuff happens).  And I'd have more control of how much I would use (either a little stronger for a long time or super strong for a short time).  

And I really, really like the idea of remembering everything!
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Ladithien

• Level 1
  • part-time optimistic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 04:08:33 PM »
I'm an Allomancy girl myself.  Feruchemy is great for long term use -- it would definitely be more helpful in a situation or 'job' that has been planned out for a while.  

Allomancy has the advantage of being able to be used so long as you can find metal you can burn.  Once you run out of strength with Feruchemy, that's it -- at least from what we know -- until you store it once more.  Allomancy also has atium, which could (theoretically) allow an Allomancer to beat out a Feruchemist.

Besides, the ability to Soothe or Riot people's emotions would be so deliciously fun that I couldn't resist Allomancy.

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 05:22:45 PM »
I'm into Allomancy myself too. Feruchemy seems so brutal. I mean I know a Pewter burn would be wretched but for the most part the metals don't seem to damage the body at all. Whereas if I wanted to store up strength with Feruchemy I'd have to be weak for awhile. -.- That's not my idea of fun.

I'd have to be a Mistborn though. To be a Tineye and know that I could, if I'd been born just a bit different, be able to do more would drive me nuts.
a night light is often needed to guide my way.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 06:01:55 PM »
To be fair, in the first book, EUOL hasn't really described the rules of Feruchemy as well as he has Allomancy. For example, we know that to collect Feruchemical power, you have to spend time being weak, or tired, or whatever the case may be. But we haven't really been exposed to the process, beyond the occasional hinting with Sazed. Also, we don't know if there is a limitation on how much Feruchemical power can be released at one time, as I recall. And, we still don't know all of the Feruchemical powers. However, judged on the information we have been given, I think I would rather be a Mistborn for a few reasons. For one thing, it would be much easier to train yourself in Allomancy than Feruchemy, because you wouldn't have to have a large refractory period wherein you would have to be weak, blind, etc. You also don't have atium, emotional allomancy, or the ability to push and pull metals. That takes away the ability to "fly" and it also takes away one of the primary offensive weapons, meaning that, short of throwing things, a Feruchemist is strictly melee. This wouldn't be a pretty significant disadvantage in and of itself, but it also means that they are less mobile, so they won't always be able to get at the target they want. Beside that, you saw what Kelsier did to that last Inquisitor with metal.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 06:31:53 PM »
It's somewhat hard to choose between the two. If I were to have the powers in my life right now, and assuming I would not be some sort of soldier, there is a strong argument for both.  

Allomancy (only if a Mistborn and not just a misting): I like this because I wouldn't have to store anything up to be able to use the powers. I would just need to have metals with me (which you would need for Feruchemy too). I like that idea. In my life, I would probably use the emotional stuff a lot (like if my husband were mad at me, I'd sooth his anger and riot his love for me) and I would use steel pushing and pulling to travel, with pewter to strengthen my body to deal with the stress. Pewter would be awesome during things like giving birth, or if you hurt yourself, too.

Feruchemy: This would be awesome if you wanted to be a scholar or an expert in an area of study. This would also be great for journaling, so you wouldn't forget stuff that happens to you. So this would really be an awesome thing, but at the same time, it's not like you would just remember everything. As I understand it, it's not a video, but more like as if it were written down. So you would still have to take the time to create the entry (just as you need time to write in you journal).

So I think between the two, I would choose Allomancy. Being able to keep a great deal of knowledge with you would be cool, but I think I would use the former more on a day to day basis.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 03:11:16 AM »
Mistborn. Though if I was a Feruchemist, I'd be storing up Weight all the time. I would totally hook my arms up to some wings, turn off my weight, and fly away.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 09:07:13 AM »
In the first book, Sazed does store speed. Granted, he says that it's a difficult trait to store, but it can be done. Which means that, at least for short periods, you could be the flash. Good luck with that atium and coin shooting, because I'm going to have a knife in your neck before you can even start to burn anything. and even if you *did* burn atium, it's not going to make you fast enough to respond to me.

So if you're deciding based on combat ability, well, Allomancy doesn't have the advantage you give it to, not unless the feruchemist hasn't been preparing.

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 10:04:26 PM »
I think I'd be a Feruchemist, although Hemalurgy sounds awesome right now, mainly because, Sazed gathered enough strength to knockout an INQUISITOR! Powers of that sort would be awesome. Though I might miss the whole steel/iron burning stuff.
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 01:57:18 PM »
Sazed uses Feruchemy, not Hemalurgy.

Edit, to SE: It depends, can you release all of your built up powers at once? Also, burning seems to be pretty instantaneous, so between pewter and atium, I think that an Allomancer would still probably have the jump on a Feruchemist. Even if not, the Allomancer can just launch themselves in the air (assuming they have a coinpouch) and wait for the Feruchemist to wear their stores out, which shouldn't take long if they are using that much at one time. And, while they are waiting, they can just pelt the Feruchemist with coins and random pieces of metal that happen to be about.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 03:33:06 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 11:17:24 AM »
I know what Sazed uses, Archon.   :P ::)  But Hemalurgy still even SOUNDS cooler!  :)  ;D  

And, about what you said to E, if a Feruchemist had srength stored as well, wouldn't he just jump, or throw things? And, if he has enough stored up healing, good luck with taking him out with a pouch of coins. ;D
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 07:41:28 PM »
He could jump, but a Mistborn who can push can get as high as he wants, whereas jumping only gets you so high. He could throw things, but not metal things, and the Mistborn can just dodge, or push a coin against whatever the Feruchemist throws. Also, even if they have stored healing, the Mistborn can make them expend that so they don't use it when they finally fight hand to hand.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 09:27:41 PM »
Nerds.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 09:38:51 PM »
Archon, Kelsier says somewhere in the book that Feuchemy doesn't have the limitations alchemy doesn't have the limitations that Alchemy does, and it is either flat out said or implied that Feruchemists could drain as much out of his or her stores at one time, while you can only get a certain amount of strength by flaring Pewter, for example.

Also, the stolen journal talks of Terrismen lifting huge boulders like feathers and chucking them out of the way, not a feat doable through alchemy.  Kelsier flares pewter just to pull a ficture out of a wall--even though it was a heavy safe that was secured well, the point is it takes less strength to do that than it does to lift a boulder.

Somewhere, it might be on the forums or in the book (I'm not sure), Sanderson implies or says that Feruchemy can be used to store nearly any physical, personal trait (as long as you have the right metal), but cannot affect anything external, such as emotions.  That's really the main advantage Alchemy has.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!