Author Topic: *spoiler* Mistborn Magic Clarification  (Read 8898 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: *spoiler* Mistborn Magic Clarification
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
The greater the time span the more energy required....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 05:42:55 AM »
I think that Atium doesn't actually store age, it stores youth, which is why when Vin found TLR in his hideout he was old.  He was storing youth.  It's part of his Feruchemy/Allomancy trick to make himself immortal.  So the change in age is one way, storing makes you older, tapping makes you younger.  This is why most Feruchemists don't really use Atium much, since to make yourself younger for a year you'd have to older for a year, thus making it not very useful except for maybe changing your appearance.
So in order to make yourself a small child (if it's even possible), you'd have to be an especially decrepit old man for just as long.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 10:53:18 AM »
Hm. At least some trickery could still be possible with youth-storing though. Say I develop my Feruchemy at age 20, and live to be 80 naturally. But say as soon as I learn that Feruchemy, I store youth heavily, making me appear 80 years old, right at the limit of my natural life. I can keep storing and storing that until I actually am 80; then I have to start calling in the reserves to keep living. That lets me live quite a ways past 80, maybe even to 140. The sacrifice is high though; I spend my entire life being extremely aged. A lesser sacrifice could get 10 or 20 more years though, which surely would appeal to some, especially scholars.
I was thinking about this formula as well

This Post has been brought to you by Dyslexia and I.

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »
I think that Atium doesn't actually store age, it stores youth, which is why when Vin found TLR in his hideout he was old.  He was storing youth.  It's part of his Feruchemy/Allomancy trick to make himself immortal.  So the change in age is one way, storing makes you older, tapping makes you younger.  This is why most Feruchemists don't really use Atium much, since to make yourself younger for a year you'd have to older for a year, thus making it not very useful except for maybe changing your appearance.
So in order to make yourself a small child (if it's even possible), you'd have to be an especially decrepit old man for just as long.
Honestly I like to think it does not affect development though I have been told otherwise but I am still skeptical.

Also it's not an even exchange rate so being 5 years older for a year will not get you a full year looking 5 years younger.   
This Post has been brought to you by Dyslexia and I.