Author Topic: Mistborn: Final Empire TYPO page  (Read 7174 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Mistborn: Final Empire TYPO page
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »
Another grand list, Ookla.  Thank you so much.

I'm aware of the pause thing.  It's one of my pet things, along with the large number of ellipses and dashes.  Interesting analysis, however.

And, you simply cannot be calculated.  Take that as you will.  I meant it to be ambiguously cool.  We Mistborn are like that.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 09:33:21 AM »
p 111 has what isn't really a typo but is a sequential error. At the top of the page, Breeze "downed the rest of his wine." A couple lines of dialog later he speaks as sipping his wine, even though he hadn't had any poured in the meantime.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 01:22:19 PM »
I was just looking over the acknowledgments page, and I had to laugh.  You mispelled my name. It's "Kaylynn" not "Kaylynne".  Oh well, that's closer than some of the spellings I've gotten.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 10:46:29 PM »
Yay! I finally found one, and I wasn't even looking for it this time.

Page 535-10 "its rebels were slaughtering the palace solders." Should be soldiers, and its spelled correctly on the very next line.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 07:14:48 AM »
*bows in humility before Ookla*

That is amazing. It is really all  I can think of to  say about this turn of events really. I guess I just correct the little ones in my head, I didn't even notice them until you pointed them out.

As for the use of the words "paused" or "pauses", I don't find it as distracting as the over use of the apostrophe to link two names into one, or the ..... that many writers will use to break the monotony of a conversation, or to break up a run on sentence that really should have a period in it somewhere.

But, I am not in the industry, and I don't know for sure how these things effect people who read and look for these things professionally. I guess everyone is a little bit different in what distracts them in their reading, or what they can accept from an author that they really like.

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 07:44:38 PM »
Will all these typos, etc get fixed before the paperback is out?  I've only spotted a few but I think that's because I get so involved in the story I just keep reading and fix them in my head.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »
Turn of events? ;)

pengwenn--the Elantris typos from its typo thread got fixed for the third printing of the hardback. Brandon hasn't mentioned if Mistborn's getting a hardback reprint--its first printing probably had more copies, which would make that less likely. If not, they'll likely get fixed for the paperback.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 10:01:58 PM »
I don't have the book with me right now to look this up, but I thought I remember the phrase "steelpull" during the first big action scene (I can look it up when I get home).  Shouldn't this be "Ironpull"?

Also, for the authors here.  Do typo's typically get fixed after the initial printings?  For a first printing hardback, I understand that there could be some, but I've read a few "mass market paperbacks" of a book originally printed close to 10 years ago that have had typos.  I am not one to notice every little mistake, but when I do notice them it kind of temporarily pulls me out of the story, which naturally I find disturbing.   For lots of those more popular books, how long could they sit on shelves after printing?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 10:37:24 PM »
Any typos that they have time to fix get fixed, Brandon collects them and sends them to his editor who's able to get what he can done.  For older books it's probably not worth the time/effort to fix them.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.