Author Topic: Brandonsanderson.com upgrade  (Read 12012 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Brandonsanderson.com upgrade
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2006, 05:27:23 PM »
No, that's a forum signature banner.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 05:57:24 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2006, 05:54:17 PM »
*nods* Good, 'cuz I like it as it is.

So the other banner might show up here on his TWG forum then?
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2006, 05:58:23 PM »
No, because if he does we'll relentlessly make fun of him and harass him about it.  There's a reason no on has banner sigs here, we all hate them.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2006, 07:44:58 PM »
I, actually, don't hate them.  I think they make for great marketing, and it's more fun to read forums with more images.

However, they ARE abused sometimes on forums, and we decided that we'd rather not have to deal with moderating that.

I use that on other forums I visit, Shrain.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2006, 09:21:57 AM »
I find it *less* fun to read forums with more images.

Images in signatures almost universally distract from content in the posts.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2006, 01:29:04 PM »
Ohh. I wasn't thinking of them being used in -that- way. No wonder Sprigg is so violently opposed to them. hehe. I just wondered if it would supplant or supplement the TWG banner solely for Brandon's corner....

Though it would be odd not to have the TWG banner. Anyhow, I hadn't pondered it being used on other forums as a sig. (shrug) Guess that shows how few forums I visit. I'm too "intro-forumed" I suppose... Aren't you glad I manage to be so behaved on this one? ;D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2006, 02:23:18 AM »
Anyway, next week I'm hoping to have a working test version of the new menu for comments.

I may or may not get a working version of this up this weekend (I've got 3 sites I'm working on this weekend plus some homework) so I'm going to post a teaser image for everyone since I'm already 2 weeks late.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/BWSsite2b1.jpg

42 did a great job coming up with a visual display of EUOL's crazy mind.

It's missing the side bar that the current site has which a simplified version will be included in the new design, and there won't be any unlabeled stones in the final version.

Just want to tell everyone that this redesign is something that is going to sped a while on, I do want to get it done this year, but we're going slowly as to make sure we don't have as many glitches and problems we had with the current site (and still do in some cases).  So once I get a working Beta site I'll post it here for people to follow up on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:32:56 AM by Spriggan »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2006, 03:22:40 AM »
I gotta say, I find sites designed like what that image looks like to be basically unusable for me.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2006, 09:27:20 AM »
I told sprig, but not Brandon, but I have to agree with Ookla. That design invites me to go somewhere else.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2006, 08:36:13 PM »
What is it you don't like?  Remember, the side bar on the left will still be there.  So, it's basically the same site we have now, only with a graphical interface on the main page instead of the big long line of links in that main column of text.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2006, 09:56:17 PM »
So...the point is to have big links in the middle of the front page just for the people who somehow can't find the links in the column on the left? It seems like excessive redundancy to me.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2006, 09:56:18 PM »
I like it. I prefer a visual interface to lots of little links, and it would be just the front page.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

dreamking47

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2006, 11:06:23 PM »
I think as an image it's great -- very artistic, and ties nicely to the visual style of Mistborn.  The current website has an okay design but too many elements that seem disjointed (footsteps in the desert plus science fiction font?) or unclear (I don't know what the thing in the upper left is).  So I think it's good to have a unified visual style, that's more obviously linked to your publications.

The general trade-off with this sort of splash image is that it's visually impressive for new users -- it does a good job "branding" you -- but obviously offers little for repeat visitors who know what content is available and just want to get to it.  So part of the consideration should be the current and expected traffic patterns of the site, who the audience is and who you want it to be.

Some other considerations:

- How valuable are you finding the long column of text on the home page?  If it's a pain to maintain and keep fresh, then this design that eliminates it makes sense.  If you're finding it useful for announcing things like signing events and e-mail downtime, you may want to rework things to keep that space.

- Will your next released book be a Mistborn book?  If not, there's a bit of the "built in obsolescence" factor to basing your site design solely on it to keep in mind.

- Will some variant of the top menu of the current site also be present, as well as the (simplified) left-hand navigation?  I would hope so, as I think it's generally advisable to have consistent site navigation rather than forcing people to learn two different navigation methods, one for the home page and one for the rest of the site.  The difficulty with the posted image is that none but your most frequent visitors will remember where each link is; it's difficult to scan something like that quickly and easy to overlook choices.

- A minor matter of personal taste: I don't like the way the "B" and "S" are intertwined...it's just a little hard to read.  It makes the "B" look like an "R," and could also make people ignore the "S" and think your last name is "Anderson."

But as I said, I think in terms of visual style and execution it's very nice!

MattD
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2006, 08:59:07 AM »
Honestly? I'd infiinitely more prefer *content* on the front page. I hate comic sites where I have to go to one page and then click a link to see the comic. I nearly wrote a long, ranting letter to Gabe and Tycho for their recent re-code that eliminated the page that had the most recent comic on it. I even briefly considered not reading PA anymore. *that's* how frustrating it is to have to go to a page and then get past an "intro" to get to anything real.

I honestly see no need for two sets of links. And an image like that honestly doesn't look to me like it helps find anything at all.

Yeah, it looks all purty, but it's functionless. you are *not* a graphic designer, Brandon. People don't go to your page to see pretty things. They go to learn more about you and see your writing. You should deliver that right away.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2006, 11:04:38 AM »
E, you have a valid point. However, it doesn't resolve the problem that originally caused the redesign. BS.com is rapidly developing content, more than what can comfortably fit on the front page. Few readers are interested in everything that Brandon is doing on the site. Most are only interested in a few things. So we need a way for visitors to filter what they choose to see.

Having two sets of links is redundant, but more effective in helping a diverse population use the site. Apparently, some visitors have had problems with the text links and menu system currently on the site.

Also, maintaining relevant text on the front page has proven to be a hassle.

Also a consideration. For selling books, new visitors matter more than repeat visitors since repeat visitors have probably already bought his books.

There is still some organization of the page that has to happen. A lot of the stone will be clear away, and we need to organize the stones some more.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.