Author Topic: Favorite Character in Elantris  (Read 12159 times)

RaoCar

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Elementalist
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Character in Elantris
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »
No not really. I am lost now. But...

My fav character in the book is the Seons. They may be a little to obedient but overall they are the best.
Please read my book at this site. Its not long yet. I only have one page typed...
http://tb.syntheticstream.com/Forums/PostView.aspx?postid=337263

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2005, 01:02:33 AM »
Probably should have done this when I finished the book, but I would have to say that Hrathen was my favorite. His internal dialouge really interested me, though not until a couple Triads into the book. I had my sister really question being Mormon for a while and so I could kinda realate. He was definatly the most in-depth.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2005, 12:20:23 PM »
My fav character in the book is the Seons. They may be a little to obedient but overall they are the best.

Ah, yes, the Seons!! I'm still so curious about them. I thought we'd learn how they're created by the end. So, when I finished reading the copy I had (it was an old version when it was still his thesis), I just had to bug EUOL about it. ("The Seons, dang it, tell me about the Seons!" Okay, I was more restrained than that. I said something more like "Did I miss something that's in the revised version cuz I really, really wanted to figure the Seons out too.")
So anyway, I was exceedingly happy when EUOL said that he might have a sequel regarding Light -and- Dark Seons in the works after the Mistborn trilogy is out.  :D Now -that- would be cool.
I would have to say that Hrathen was my favorite. His internal dialouge really interested me . . .

I'd definitely put in my vote for Hrathen as well. What an awesome bad guy! His inner conflict was fascinating, as was his attraction to Sarene. One reason I felt more drawn to him over Raoden is that Raoden tended to be a little more, um, self-assured than Hrathen.
Yes, the un-dead Prince got off to a *very* rough start and has internal worries of his own.
All in all, though, he comes off as so determined in his specific goals.  I felt like the problems coming at him were more external whereas Hrathen is beseiged by tons of inward turmoil in addition to outward struggles. So that's why Hrathen's POV was especially intriguing for me. I really liked how his character turned out at the end, too. Hurrah for multi-sided bad guys!!  :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:30:50 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2005, 07:04:36 PM »
(Major spoilers for anyone here that hasn't read the book. Yeah right)

Yes, his bad guy 'climax' when he saves Sarene and then Raoden was completly fulfilling. Excspecially where he decides that even if he may be betraying Wyrn and Dilaf he is still preventing bloodshed and doing something good. I also find his acceptance that Jaddeth can judge him very cool.

His attraction to Sarene was very well done in my opinion, if he had gone all mushy and started pining for her it would have totally betrayed his character. I have to say, my favorite Hrathen moment was where Dilaf stabbed him and his armor turned out to be real.

Like I've said before, he is the best character (in my humble opinion).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 07:06:53 PM by OneEyedGreenPerson »

dark prophecy

• Level 1
  • I was raised by a cup of coffee
    • View Profile
    • Wotmania
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2005, 06:14:16 AM »
Yep, I liked Hrathen. It was his change and coming to grips with who he really was that got me hooked.
Pocatello, the armpit of the universe...

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2005, 01:07:55 AM »
Elantris was the first hook, Hrathen was the second. Definately.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 01:08:27 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2006, 07:51:43 PM »
Hrathen has to be the best/main character because he has the most depth and conflict. He really comes off as trying to be a savior and a devil. I particularly like Hrathen because he is the logical/rational "bad guy" who doesn't do bad things just because he is suppose to be "evil." Hrathen really makes Elantris worth reading.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

QuickTidal

• Level 1
  • Cadre Mage, 2nd Army, 9th Squad, Bridgeburners
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2006, 09:59:04 PM »
*a guest poster here from the Steven Erikson boards*

I gotta agree that it is Hrathen. At first it is Raoden and Sarene, but later when Hrathen begins his internal struggle, and it's climax, just made him so fantastic. I mean, you knew he was gonna have to do something drastic, but you're not sure what exactly until it happens. Nicely executed.

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2006, 11:33:44 PM »
That's it! I'm feeling left out. I'm reading the book! I did read the first three chapters on the website though. Gripping. Now, that's the style I think is fun. So, I'll get back to you, but so far, the girl, definitely the girl is my favorite. Sassy!
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

styleofmyown

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2006, 09:05:44 PM »
My favorite POV was Raoden's.  I found the whole thing with Elantris very fascinating.  Sarene was a close second (and yes I thought she was very realistic).  Hrathen's POV was slowing the book down to start with.  I just wanted to read the other's stories, but about halfway through the book his story was just as interesting and exciting.  I like the internal struggle.
My favorite parts about the book were finding out about Elantris, the romance *sigh*, and the political battle for the kingdom.

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »
Hrathen was most definitely my favorite character, though I thoroughly enjoyed reading all three points of view. He was by far the deepest of the characters, and I can relate to his struggling with religion. My favorite quote of his was where he said something along the lines of "My problems are with Wyrn, not with Jaddeth." It came at just the right moment, and to me it defines his character perfectly.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

DragonRider0_0

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2006, 02:01:21 AM »
I would Have To say
1 Serene Because I feel Like I Relate To Her More then anyone else. She's Inteligent, Kind, Willing To do what has to, Idependent. In my Mind Very atractive
(hey I'm a guy)                          

2 Roaden                                    

3 Hrathen
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 07:04:46 PM by DragonRider0_0 »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2006, 03:18:26 AM »
/\/\/\//\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
/\\/
\/\/\/

/\\/\/\/\/\/

/\/\/\/\

/\/\/\\/

Consummate Vs!  I said Consummate Vs!
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2006, 09:02:44 AM »
those look like touch your toes instructional diagrams.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »
I have had this conversation with Brandon a few times, and the point we end up circling around to everytime is that we like change.  For this reason I am a big fan of Hrathen.  

Nothing frustrates me more than characters who dont learn - ever (*cough*Jordan*cough*).  I think we as humans are naturally drawn towards change and struggle.  I like to see dynamics, and i think that Hrathen shows this the most in Elantris (and of course there is a lot of this in Mistborn, which is just one of its many strengths).

I say much of this also based on reader feedback from the people who I help at my store.  There has been a shift in what readers want - they don't want LOTR clones anymore.  This is why authors like Brandon and Steven Erikson and R Scott Bakker have done so well in our store and nation-wide.  These guys arent afraid of taking risks and trying something different.  The majority of readers appreciate it!
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/