Author Topic: Mistborn reactions - SPOILERS  (Read 20020 times)

Linternet

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn reactions - SPOILERS
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2006, 02:32:54 PM »
ELANTRIS SPOILERS

Kelsier is a lot easier (at least for me) to relate to than Raoden and his reaction to his circumstances seemed more plausible but I think they were at least equally tested.

Torture, slavery, and witnessing the murder of your spouse does seem a bit more traumatic than simply being thrown into a ghetto.  However, dealing with injuries that do not diminish and starvation past the point that a normal man would have died proves the equalizer in my view.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 02:33:43 PM by Linternet »

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2006, 07:54:42 PM »
I believe that, by the sheer amount of testing Kelsier goes through, even if it does give him only one reason to live, that he is a stronger character. Of course, he never dealt with rebuilding an entire civilization of zombie-ish people who were in eternal torment... ???
I think that, really, it just depends on the reader. Those that see better into Raodens conflicts will, I believe, sympathize with him, or vise-versa. Lets ask EUOL
who HE thinks is stronger.
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »
Wow.  That's a tough question.  Here's how I view the two characters:

Raoden is a person much like myself, a simple optimist who really hasn't had to be tested in a lot of areas.  He's thrown into a terrible situation, and comes out with his optimism strained, but unbroken.

Kelsier is a man of passion.  Unlike Raoden, who is even-minded and steady no matter what happens to him, Kelsier is a man pushed by a rage inside of him that he rarely shows.  In later books, Vin talks a lot about the harsh danger she saw in him.  I wouldn't call Kelsier an optimist in the same way as Raoden.  Kelsier is determined.  

You all make very good points on both sides.  Asking me to choose which was stronger, however, is like asking a father to choose between his children.  I will say, however, that I don't think the two of them would have gotten along very well.  Kelsier would have been to flippant for Raoden, while Raoden would have seemed holier-than-thou to Kelsier.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2006, 08:37:07 PM »
It's awesome that people can pull different things from the same characters in the same stories.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »
It's awesome that people can pull different things from the same characters in the same stories.

Ya it's how religious wars are started.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2006, 08:41:18 PM »
And religious wars are where Ninja Monkey Assassin Priests excel!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2006, 10:12:37 PM »
I don't think the two of them would have gotten along very well.  Kelsier would have been too flippant for Raoden, while Raoden would have seemed holier-than-thou to Kelsier.

Fight! Fight!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2006, 03:48:33 AM »
This book was awesome, I read it a while back, as soon as it came back, and then I read it again, and again, and again. The political intrigue! The magic system! Oh the drama!.

Now, I wish I lived in Utah.

Why oh why must I be stranded in the middle of the pacific ocean? :'(

I have to say. Kelsier was a shock. I never expected that to happen.

And here I was, confident that nothing could be better than Elantris. You've outdone yourself. I cannot wait until the second book comes out. Words cannot express how terribly agonizing the wait will be, for one such as I in such an excruciating illness. I cannot stop.

Books are my terrible terrible weakness.

How did you like Hawaii? I find it quite horrible. After you've lived here for eight years, it gets quite dull and austre.

That just reminded me. Warbreaker is awesome too. Odd magic system in the Idris royalty, but intriguing nonetheless.
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2006, 04:35:02 AM »
Surprises for me:

+ Kelsier dying. Did not expect that.

+ I was pretty certain our Lord Ruler wasn't the same guy in the book about halfway through. Why I didn't twig straight to Rashek, I have no clue.

Various speculations:

+ I kept expecting somebody from within the group to betray the group, Breeze being my first pick. That it never happened, quite pleased me. (I don't count Yadon's (?) ill-advised battle as betrayal so much as sheer stupidity.)

A plus job on the magic system....I found it entertaining, and I kept speculating on various potential uses.

.she.sings.from.somewhere.you.can't.see.

Ruthie

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2006, 11:16:13 AM »
I got the impression that Kelsier kept a positive, funny attitude throughout the book not so much because he was an optimist as he was hiding his rage behind humor.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2006, 12:27:34 PM »
Ruthie,

You've got it exactly.

Swiggly,

I liked Hawaii as a place to visit, but I knew--even while I was there--that I would feel like you do if I stayed there too long.  I like being able to get to conventions and to visit friends without having to fly five hours before even getting to the mainland.

I did, however, leave some signed copies of my books in your state.  It was at a Borders bookstore, on Kawaii, I believe...

As for the books, I appreciate your enthusiasm.  I'm sorry you have to wait so long, but at least it won't be as bad as waiting for Rowling or Martin to finish a book.  Mine will be out next year, I promise.  

(And, the Idris magic system is connected to the rest of WARBREAKER in a way you may not be expecting.  Watch for clues.)

PixelFish,

+ I kept expecting somebody from within the group to betray the group, Breeze being my first pick. That it never happened, quite pleased me. (I don't count Yadon's (?) ill-advised battle as betrayal so much as sheer stupidity.)

That's exactly why I didn't have a betrayal.  I wanted, through the form of the book, to prove to Vin the very things that Kelsier was teaching.  Sometimes, there ISN'T a traitor.  He really did collect a sound crew of trustworthy men.  I'm glad you appreciated this.

For Book Two, however, all bets are off....
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »
I got the impression that Kelsier kept a positive, funny attitude throughout the book not so much because he was an optimist as he was hiding his rage behind humor.

That doesn't make it any less impressive, in my opinion.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2006, 05:58:27 PM »
Me neither. But I don't think that Ruthie's observation was a criticism in any way, just a spot on analysis. ;) Though I wouldn't say he was hiding his rage behind his optimism but, rather, fueling his optimism *with* that intense anger. I greatly enjoyed that Kell has a darkly complex motivation for his optimism. I mean, he had this "never-say-die" optimism even when he died! Who can beat that, I ask you?
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Rocnerd

• Level 1
  • MOΛΩN ΛABÉ
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »
Hey all.  
I just registered because I wanted to say that I really enjoyed Mistborn.  I finished it the other day, too soon since the Hurricane that wasn't kept me inside all day yesterday and me with nothing to read.  Anyway, great story, loved the allomancy, didn't see Kelsier dying, had a hunch about Marsh though.  I am looking forward to the Ascension book.  

I read Elantris last year some time and when I recognized your name on Mistborn just grabbed it.  Elantris was good, but this (for me) was far better.  Thanks for the good read.  

Ledgem

• Level 1
  • Bow to ledgem, god of darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2006, 01:48:56 AM »
I don't know why I didn't think rashek was the lord ruler for some reason... Once read the journal entries I thought the the "hero" became tainted by "the deepness" and it really wasn't him who was acting evil as the lord ruler but he was being controled. I also thought that when vin met the vile overlord he would show some kind of train of goodness or something since I was thinking he was tainted. I was pleasently suprised ^_^

The magic system is great, Ive still been trying to think of my own, but it still sounds too generic... Burning metals is such a cool thing, though I would find it odd to EAT metal... unless those beads of atium were a soft metal... arg...

Someone said a few things about the land being forzen due to the ash, but the sun is really big and red, wouldn't that imply that it's a LOT worse then our normal sun? The hint at the sun being closer makes it sound like the lord ruler managed to pull the sun closer. One Idea I have too is that the mist is the deepness but made so it doesn't "consume everything" like what I thought was implied by it being so evil and all.

I liked Kell... I'll miss him... when reading the first character he reminded me of was Toshi Umawaza from the Magic: the gathering Kamigawa cycle (which,for a wizards of the coast book, was pretty good). I like that sort of hero... Not so much an anti-hero as Toshi but still a similar attitude.

I can't wait for the sequal... Halfway through reading I was so exited on how good it was that I was fearing the end. It takes a REALLY good book for me to spend free time at home entirely for several days reading. Im so glad theres a sequal, if there wasn't I'd be annoyed that such a good book was over and I would have to search for a new one (which so far has taken me FAR too long to do, months to years between good can't-put-down books). Thankfully I have Elantris to read next time I go to chapters, but the wait for book two will still be hard as hell.

One question EUOL, Ive been thinking of becoming a writer (so many Ideas I need to put in some form besides memory) but everytime I want to write, it's like I don't actually want to do the writting part... Even when I do I seem to not continue it due to not "feeling" like writting... Also, when I think of how you and other authors write the all those things so perfectly I feel like I could never put things in ways that would make sense like that... Of course im only 16 and never attempted to write anything big ever before, I still think I SHOULD be able to do these things or I could never become a writter at all... Hope this doesn't sound annoying...
"There is always another secret" Kelsier, Survivor of hathsin
Bow to ledgem, God of darkness