Author Topic: Okay, I'm hooked.  (Read 7840 times)

cvgurau

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • um, hello, my name is . . . . is this thing on?
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm hooked.
« on: November 05, 2006, 06:17:48 AM »
I just finished Elantris.  

I was stunned.  Stunned.

The book started out a little interesting (the mystery of Elantris, Raoden's plight, etc), but it became a page-turner around the end of Part One, when Hrathen was thrown into Elantris (who saw that coming?   :o  I mean, really!).  After that, I couldn't put it down.  I finished it in one six-hour marathon that ended just before sunrise, and I fell asleep with a grin on my face, remembering characters that felt as real to me as people I know (only moreso, because I actually liked Raoden, Serene, et. al.  ;))

Now I'm making my way through Mistborn (imagine my dismay at learning it was part of a trilogy.  You mean I have to wait to see how it ends? :(), and it's the same great storytelling.  Sanderson creates compelling characters you learn to care for very quickly, and you don't stop.  

I only wish I wrote stories this well.   :-/

Ah, well.  Time will tell, no?  Perhaps if I spent more time in front of a word processor, less time doing . . . whatever, I'd be closer to finishing a story I've been working on for almost five years, now.   :-[

I look forward to more great reads from Mr. Sanderson. :D

PS--I've looked, but I can't seem to find it anywhere; now, what does "EUOL" stand for?  :-/
If you write only when inspiration strikes, you'll never finish anything. -- Bob Mayer

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, I'm hooked.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 11:43:38 AM »
Evil Undead Overlord

You can learn more about this site in theFAQ.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 07:40:50 PM »
"Stunned" is a fairly common reaction upon finishing a Brandon book. He lulls you into complacency at the beginning, then slowly starts piling things on more and more until you think it cannot possibly get any more intense, and then BAM BAM BAM it suddenly accelerates and leaves you out of breath at the end.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:31:52 PM »
Welcome and thank you, cvgurau.  

Just keep writing!  Honestly, practice is the best way to learn to write novels.

Oh, and don't worry TOO much about Mistborn.  Book one was written to stand alone as well as a book possibly can in a trilogy.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Wizard_Typist

• Level 1
  • Simple Minds, Simple Pleasures
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:44:37 PM »
Yes, I was thouroughly impressed with Elantris as well.  I finished it quickly, and have even made some of my own Aons (sad, huh?)
I have also finished Mistborn (twice) and I can't wait until the next book comes out, either!  My biggest wish is to be a Mistborn myself.  I keep thinking of all kinds of things that would be fun as an allomancer.  I mean, in the world of today where nearly everything has metal in it, from cars to wristwatches, an allomancer that could Pull or Push would have a field day!
Also, the thing I like about Brandon Sanderson is when he ends a book, he ends it.  He builds and builds up to a climax and it all falls down in the end.  It's fantastic!
If I had to choose between Shadow and Food, Shadow would win.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 03:56:12 PM »
I have also finished Mistborn (twice) and I can't wait until the next book comes out, either!  My biggest wish is to be a Mistborn myself.

You could keep wishing.... or just do what I did, transforming myself into an amazingly rich Mistborn* aristocrat with a little craftiness and the help of a fellow TWGer.  ;) (*name withheld to avoid spoiler for the unread).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:58:26 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 09:06:29 AM »
I also really liked the way that Brandon finished Elantris. No loose ends, no real pressing "what happens now" questions that some authors can leave you with at the end of a book. I have Mistborn on my "to read" pile, but that is growing while I have been in school. I will have almost a month away from school starting in December so I am hoping to catch up.

Gnarly

• Level 1
  • Mugen...mugen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 07:52:42 PM »
I'm with cvgurau, just finished Mistborn and hooboy.  Brilliant world building.  Incredible attempt at a stand alone in a trilogy.  Leaves a sense of completion while letting the reader know there is more to be had but not leaving us hanging and panting for conclusion.

Fabulous "magical" system.  The use of metals was unique in a fictional world of maybe too many finger wagglers.  :D

I'm practically throwing this book at all my happy book-o-philes.  (not literally of course because that would hurt)
*site reserved for something moderately clever*

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 04:00:07 AM »
Definitely have to agree here.  EUOL has me hook, line and sinker.  I had to chase my kids off or find distractions for them so I could read.   :D

Kel

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
Definitely have to agree here.  EUOL has me hook, line and sinker.  I had to chase my kids off or find distractions for them so I could read.   :D

Kel

Hey, why doncha introduce yourself? I always like trading mom talk about the best way to indoctrinate teach my children the finer points of sci-fi/fantasy.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 02:25:29 AM »
Mmmm. Corrupting children. My favorite pastime. Is it time yet for a nerd moms group?

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 06:21:11 PM »
Hi! I am a mother of two, Emillie age 7 and Tyler age 3.5 (going on 30).  I am a 35 yr old Stay at Home Mom. 

My latest tool is employing my grandmother's no tattling rule. (Something I abhor, tattling that is.) Unless someones going to get seriously hurt if you tattle then both will be subject to punishment.  Current choice of punishment now is TO in their bedroom, Gran's was to sit us on chairs and not let us touch or speak until the alloted time expired.   My cousin and I had hours and hours logged on those hard wooden chairs before we figured out not to tattle.

But they have both lost TV because... well you probably don't want that part of the story (gross) --really don't ask. Anywho... They do not get it back til the first of the year and lost it at the beginning of this month.  I have to say they have had alot more time to read and my daughter has been reading to my son the Captain Underpants chapter books.  I cannot remember the author at the moment.

Kelly

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 06:40:53 PM »
I'm a SAHM, too. I have three: Amber (8), Carter (almost 4), Spencer (2.5). Carter is obsessed with Obi-Wan, Spiderman, and anything involving swords. Spencer just runs around and destroys things. Amber has been reading the Secret Unicorn and Magic Treehouse books.

I also use time outs. Extensively. My two boys like to pound on each other a little too often/hard, so sometimes they need to cool off. I don't care who started it. They both get time out. They're still young, so they're still learning.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 07:09:43 PM »
Heh. Apparently I'm outclassed. ^_^

I'm a working single mom with three boys ages 8, 6 (almost 7), and 5. My boys love anything Star Wars, Lego, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Avatar: The Last Airbender. Since my boys pick fights as a pastime (which is apparently something inherent in that Y chromosome), I've found that the most effective way to get them to stop is TO in their room and grounding them from GameCube/Playstation. They *hate* being grounded.

cvgurau

• Level 1
  • um, hello, my name is . . . . is this thing on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 11:55:42 PM »
I could never consider a working mother of 3 outclassed in any way.

You go, girl.  ;)
If you write only when inspiration strikes, you'll never finish anything. -- Bob Mayer