Author Topic: Official Release of AMoL in Denmark  (Read 2700 times)

Cynewulf

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official Release of AMoL in Denmark
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 01:03:17 AM »
Now I think you are just arguing for the sake of the argument. You seem to insinuate that readers of Robert Jordan's work are too stupid to understand how the whole of a final novel can be split into two volumes, and I disagree. You seemingly believe that people who have followed The Wheel for long enough to have read the preceding novels will not buy the new ones unless they are explicitly labelled "Twelve" and "Thirteen", while I believe they will understand the situation and read the book, even if it is labelled "Volume One of the Twelfth Book of The Wheel of Time". I think you underestimate the intellect of the readership, and whether or not they post regularly on the internet is more or less irrelevant. The quality of Jordan's writing has guaranteed that millions will purchase anything that has his name and the snake-wheel emblem on it.

Bookstore Guy, was that aimed at me? Because I agree with everything you said.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 01:51:25 AM »
Now I think you are just arguing for the sake of the argument.
Well, I'm not. I'm trying to explain the reasoning from a publisher's marketing department point of view. If I'm not doing a good job of it, I apologize.

Either way, we'll know in 6 weeks.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Cynewulf

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »
Certainly. And there is no need to apologise, at all. The insight is appreciated, although I may tend to believe that in the case of AMoL, "conventional" marketing may not apply to the degree it usually does, as the base of readers is already very strong.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »
Cynewolf - to a degree you are correct. Conventional marketing may not be NEEDED. The reader base is very large. However, a lot of what Ookla says makes a ton of sense. While many readers realistically might not be confused, why take the chance? I say this mostly from a business and marketing PoV. If you can guarantee that people won't be confused, then you should take that chance - especially with the state of the current book industry.

And no, my previous comment wasn't directed solely at you. It was more of a general comment so people didn't say, "ah crap, maybe no Jordan book this year?" Pacifying the masses, my friend. Pacifying the masses.

Though I do wonder which marketing convention they will ultimately use. I can see either way.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 01:25:26 AM »
From a writing/author point of view, I say all bets are off.  The book will be sent to publish when Harriet says it will and will actually be released as soon as physically possible after that.  Not a moment sooner.  As far as titles go... again, it really is Harriet's call.  Who knows what Robert Jordan would have wanted better than her?

We'll see.  Whether it is sooner or later does not concern me.  I want it done RIGHT, even if that means slowly.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?