Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234588 times)

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #855 on: July 22, 2009, 04:10:34 PM »
Ruin never gave Spook Preservation's powers, Hemalurgy just allowed Spook to steal them from someone who already had them, in a mildly corrupted fashion. The source of Hemalurgy-endowed power is the other person's soul, not Ruin or the spikes or anything else.

And while it's true fooling the spiritual codes would work for any magic, the ability to store those codes in a spike is probably Scadrial-specific. If you could store the codes for Breath in a spike, and place it in a magic-altering spot, you could probably steal Breath. (Maybe. I'm still wondering myself if Breath is perhaps the Spiritual Manifestation of Endowment, in which case strange things would happen.)

There is sort of a workaround for this though. I'm pretty sure I recall Brandon saying that to use Allomancy and Feruchemy, you needed the correct spiritual and genetic codes, but to use Hemalurgy you simply had to steal those codes from someone else. That implies that a properly endowed Hemalurgic spike would give power to anyone, including those not from Scadrial.

So to steal Breath, (or something.) You would have to Hemalurgically endow the subject with Scadrial codes, then use a Hemalurgic spike to steal the part of their soul containing their magic, then hope you can implant it right in someone else. Even that might not work, and it might require either an Atium or Lerasium spike to do so.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 23, 2009, 03:23:52 AM »
You would have to Hemalurgically endow the subject with Scadrial codes

I don't see how this follows from the rest of your post.

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
Re: Warbreaker Sample Chapters
« Reply #857 on: August 06, 2009, 07:09:23 PM »
Chapter Seven needed a revision as badly as elf needs food, so I did one.  It clarifies a lot of the language and events.

Gauntlet reference noted and enjoyed! I think I am going to like it here!

TyranAmiros

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 10, 2009, 07:18:39 AM »
Just finished my second read of the book and I'm kind of confused.  What (or how), exactly, did Lightsong heal with his final Breath?  I mean, we know Susebron regained his tongue, but for me it raises a number of questions about the metaphysics of the magic system.

First--what was there to heal precisely?  That is, can Returned--who can alter their appearances--do things like grow or atrophy their own limbs?  We know that male Returned in Hallandren can gain height and strength, so it's possible that Returned can alter themselves thusly.

And there's a bigger question--how alive are the Returned? While clearly sentient, it is not clear to what extent they are actually alive--they certainly don't need food or water any more.

So I guess the more general phrasing of my question is this: does Returned-Returned healing work the same as Returned-normal healing?  What are the physical limitations for Returned transformation? 

In this case there are three possibilities, and I'm not sure which is right:
  • The healing was an example of a Magic Feather (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicFeather)--Susebron needed confidence, but had the ability to restore his tongue without healing
  • The healing was the only way to restore the tongue
  • Lightsong actually healed something else (maybe the original death), so Susebron is no longer Returned (loony theory)

JakobLayn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 12, 2009, 01:30:27 AM »
Those are interesting theories but in the book it said that Suseborn not only healed his tongue but gave him the knowledge on how to use  breaths and commands and everything else sooo.... yeah i dont remember anything else :)
The fear to explore the unknowns in life is to deny yourself all the joys and happiness as well

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 13, 2009, 02:17:30 AM »
And also, will we ever get to see Annotations on Warbreaker? Because at this rate, we'll be finishing HoA when GS comes out....... I'm not complaining, just wondering....

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #861 on: August 13, 2009, 02:45:16 AM »
And also, will we ever get to see Annotations on Warbreaker? Because at this rate, we'll be finishing HoA when GS comes out....... I'm not complaining, just wondering....

Ookla said that Tor might release a special edition electronic version which includes all the annotations with it. Otherwise, we just wait until HoA annotations are done.

(I have no idea when this edition would be released)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Raphael

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 13, 2009, 03:12:48 AM »
:/ Oh well.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 13, 2009, 04:17:53 AM »
Warbreaker annotations might start at one per week while the Hero of Ages annotations are still going, but it wouldn't be for months and months yet. It would be nice for the Way of Kings annotations to start coming out not too long after that book is released.

Also, the special edition ebook with all the annotations is still coming, but there were problems with its first layout so it's getting fixed up.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #864 on: August 13, 2009, 05:23:15 AM »
Well, better to have it be good. I eagerly await.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

pirsquared

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 13, 2009, 05:39:05 AM »
This isn't exactly the place, but I didn't want to go on the WoT page for fear of seeing spoilers...

Do I have to read New Spring in order to understand the rest of Wheel of Time, or could I just read the rest of the series without touching it?  If I need to read it, when should I read it (after which book)?

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #866 on: August 13, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
You don't have to read it at all... but if you're starting out, you might as well read it first.  It talks about events that happen about 20 years before the Eye of the World.  It will foreshadow on a lot of events and give you some background on a couple main characters and places but it doesn't make or break the story.  It's a fun read, and it's short (compared ot the rest) so it goes quick.  The other option is to read it after book 6 (when the series starts to slow down) for a quick pick-me-up before continuing.

Hope that helps.
Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.
  - Orson Welles

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 13, 2009, 06:14:34 PM »
Many people think it's better to read New Spring in the order it was written—after Crossroads of Twilight and before Knife of Dreams. Otherwise some of the character development in the series will seem a bit overshadowed.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Raphael

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 14, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »
Many people think it's better to read New Spring in the order it was written—after Crossroads of Twilight and before Knife of Dreams. Otherwise some of the character development in the series will seem a bit overshadowed.

I agree with this. You'll appreciate the history of New Spring more if you read it between CoT and KoD. At least, I did.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 23, 2009, 03:52:14 AM »
Those are interesting theories but in the book it said that Suseborn not only healed his tongue but gave him the knowledge on how to use  breaths and commands and everything else sooo.... yeah i dont remember anything else :)

Yes, Lightsong's (I assume you meant to put Lightsong in your post) breaths added onto Susebron's breaths allowed old Susebron to attain the tenth heightening.  I think Susebron wouldn't be able to recall a form with a tongue, by the way.  If I remember correctly, Vasher mentioned something about a command being used when he goes between his returned and his non-returned form, and Susebron couldn't issue commands due to the fact that his tongue had been severed.  Lightsong healed the tongue and gave Susebron the knowledge of the tenth heightening, allowing him to do what he did at the end of the book. 

Mind you, I haven't had time to read the published version (the book is still sitting on my table since I bought it opening day), but I'm fairly sure that's the way it worked.

P.S. - I guess the last version I read was 4.2.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain