Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234552 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #795 on: June 09, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »
No, I think quite a few people did that. I've heard several say it and imagine a lot more did it than said it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

maxonennis

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »
I’m glad that I did. I’m almost halfway finished now and I could see s huge difference in those first half dozen chapters.  :)
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 11, 2009, 05:44:14 PM »
This book is so amazing. I've been dying to read it but I waited for it to officially come out. I just don't like reading things on the computer. It was well worth the wait and worth every penny.

**SPOILERS** for anyone who hasn't finished yet.....

I was COMPLETELY taken in by Denth. It was great. I was right there with Vivenna going "WHAT?!" I was forming this whole different picture of him in my mind and then, wham! He turns out to be the bad guy! I love being surprised like that. I love getting so caught up in the story with the characters that I also don't pick up on stuff that they should have.

Also, the pacing! I liked how different it was. I mean, we got well over half way through the book before we got to really see and delve too deeply into the magic system, which is something that normally comes much closer to the beginning. But it worked here.

I loved Lightsong's comments and just his whole story. I loved the setting. And Nightblood? How cool is that? Brilliant. Actually, I could have just saved myself a lot of time here and said there wasn't anything about it I didn't like. I really just want to read it again. Five stars and two major thumbs up!!
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 11, 2009, 06:58:03 PM »
I was COMPLETELY taken in by Denth. It was great. I was right there with Vivenna going "WHAT?!" I was forming this whole different picture of him in my mind and then, wham! He turns out to be the bad guy! I love being surprised like that. I love getting so caught up in the story with the characters that I also don't pick up on stuff that they should have.

I actually guessed this plot twist. *Elantris Spoilers* I had guessed that Denth would pull an Ahan. It made too much sense.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 11, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »

I actually guessed this plot twist. *Elantris Spoilers* I had guessed that Denth would pull an Ahan. It made too much sense.

It seems to me that Denth and Ahan are completely difference characters.  Denth intended to be evil from the start of the book.  Ahan was just stupid.  Different motivation, different skills.  Denth is a whole lot scarier.
Nature hates being reified.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 11, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »

It seems to me that Denth and Ahan are completely difference characters.  Denth intended to be evil from the start of the book.  Ahan was just stupid.  Different motivation, different skills.  Denth is a whole lot scarier.

Motives are different, results are the same= it doesn't matter.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 12, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »

Motives are different, results are the same= it doesn't matter.

Of course it does.  Nobody felt morally obliged to kill Ahan after his betrayal.  Also the betrayal wasn't nearly as subtle.  Denth absolutely had to die.  He was too dangerous.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 12, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »
I think there's a huge difference

Ahan's betrayel was petty, it was just to prove a point to Roial. Denth's betrayl was to start a war.

Also, we didn't really care about Ahan.  Not like we grew attached to Denth.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 12, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »
*Mistborn, Elantris, & Warbreaker Spoilers*

Ahan, Denith, and Ten Soon (I don't know if that's spelled right) all served the same perpose. Each of them had different personalities and motives, but they did the same thing so it really doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:59:29 PM by maxonennis »

jahmes

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 12, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »
hello, who's ahan? and ten soon? just finish reading the adobe acrobat version... got me hooked for about 8 hours, and its my first time reading a sanderson... i must admit tho, i wonder how the WoT rendition wud turn out, now that iv read one of his books.. the humor is good, particularly Lightsong's chapters.. but... I hope he'l get Mat Cuathon right...

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 12, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »
hello, who's ahan? and ten soon? just finish reading the adobe acrobat version... got me hooked for about 8 hours, and its my first time reading a sanderson... i must admit tho, i wonder how the WoT rendition wud turn out, now that iv read one of his books.. the humor is good, particularly Lightsong's chapters.. but... I hope he'l get Mat Cuathon right...

Sorry about that, I didn't lable it. Those are Mistborn 2 and Elantris spoilers.  :-[

jahmes

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 12, 2009, 07:12:55 PM »
i see now :), i hope i can read more sandersons soon... Warbreaker was meant to be one novel, right? and sanderson wrote it in a way that if it hits, he could readily write it in a sequel and some... I have quite a number of fantasy up my memory banks... and honestly, Warbreakers is not that an impressive a story... if he could turn it to a trilogy tho... maybe the sequels could redeem the lack I find in Book 1, hehe  ;D ;D

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 12, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »
**SPOILER**

I have a theory....
I think that Clod used to be Arsteel!

He (Clod) moved with a fluidity she had rarely
seen, his skill matching the brief moment of dazzling speed that Denth had
displayed in the restaurant.
pg.337

Denth glanced at Clod. “They’re not all equal. Most Lifeless, they’re just
made out of what ever body happens to be around. If you pay good money,
you can get one who was very skillful in life.”
  pg 357

“It shouldn’t have happened,” Jewels said. “Arsteel was a brilliant duelist—
almost as good as Denth. Vasher’s never been able to beat either of them.”
pg 197

“Vasher didn’t use the sword,” Jewels said. “There was no blackness to
Arsteel’s wounds.”
pg 314

Since Jewels and Denth have seen Arsteel, they might have been able to pay someone money to make Arsteel a Lifeless for a bodyguard.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Euphrasie

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 12, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
**SPOILER**

I have a theory....
I think that Clod used to be Arsteel!

Since Jewels and Denth have seen Arsteel, they might have been able to pay someone money to make Arsteel a Lifeless for a bodyguard.

I very much agree.  I first had suspicions when Jewels is talking to him when they make the comment, "She just does that sometimes."

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 12, 2009, 11:34:20 PM »
*Mistborn, Elantris, & Warbreaker Spoilers*

Ahan, Denith, and Ten Soon (I don't know if that's spelled right) all served the same perpose. Each of them had different personalities and motives, but they did the same thing so it really doesn't matter.

******More spoilers******

Besides the bit where you have to deal with them afterwards.  Yeah, afterwards.  They weren't just a single role in each book.  They were part of the tapestry that made up the whole, and each had multiple roles to play.  You're focusing on a single role as though it were the entire character, and don't seem to understand why people don't accept this as a decent characterization.  Brandon is much better than that!