Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234794 times)

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #735 on: October 02, 2008, 06:22:36 AM »
I'm positively stunned.
What a book!

I'll call my editor today, I have to translate it!

Yesterday I've almost missed my station, a friemd woke me up just in time :D
And today I think I'll finish the book reading it onscreen in my office - this is more than a book, this is exactly my line of handling the story - everything as I like it.
Waiting for the Sun...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 02, 2008, 06:59:16 AM »
Do you often recommend books to your editor? I'd be interested to see a thread or blog post from you about how the translated SF market works over there in Poland.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

rhondagr

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 02, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »
Hey, I just finished Warbreaker a few day’s ago and I loved it!  I understand that it is just a rough draft, and there were a few misspelled words but man, it was great.   

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 11, 2008, 02:00:52 AM »
I did it!  I finally gave in and read Warbreaker.
It was good, not as good as Mistborn, but I liked it.

MINOR SPOILER:

I think I'm gonna have to reread the ending though, it confused me a bit (The bit about the royals all being returned or something?), but the rest was very good.  I loved Lightsong, he along with Siri were my favorite characters.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

DaChef

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 11, 2008, 02:07:09 AM »
I'm new. so take it easy if i comment on stuff already discussed (50 pages is way too much to go through).

I just finished version 6.1

i loved it. i completed it in 2 days. no sleeping and that was staring at my screen through the night.

As has been said, i wished i found this book earlier. overall i loved the concept and the writing. to the point where, i WILL be buying this book when it comes out, regardless.

not only that, but i intend to find and purchase his other works. and keep up with anything he decides to work on.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 22, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »
I'm new. so take it easy if i comment on stuff already discussed (50 pages is way too much to go through).

i loved it. i completed it in 2 days. no sleeping and that was staring at my screen through the night.

As has been said, i wished i found this book earlier. overall i loved the concept and the writing. to the point where, i WILL be buying this book when it comes out, regardless.

not only that, but i intend to find and purchase his other works. and keep up with anything he decides to work on.

Brandon's plan in effect!  People do buy things they have already read!  I seriously can't wait until this is released.  My copies of Mistborn have already made it through a large group of my friends, this is next.

MINOR SPOILER:

I think I'm gonna have to reread the ending though, it confused me a bit (The bit about the royals all being returned or something?), but the rest was very good.  I loved Lightsong, he along with Siri were my favorite characters.

Forgive me, I haven't read the latest version and it's been a while since I read v 4 and 5, but I can try and take a hack at your question.  As I understood, the royals have a bit of returned blood in them.  I think that means that at one point, there was a returned that could give birth.  The hair changing thing is an ability akin to Vasher's ability to hide his 'ultra-breath.' 

Though, I may just be making stuff up.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:23:14 PM by Wielder »
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 22, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »

Brandon's plan in effect!  People do buy things they have already read!  I seriously can't wait until this is released.  My copies of Mistborn have already made it through a large group of my friends, this is next.

MINOR SPOILER:

Forgive me, I haven't read the latest version and it's been a while since I read v 4 and 5, but I can try and take a hack at your question.  As I understood, the royals have a bit of returned blood in them.  I think that means that at one point, there was a returned that could give birth.  The hair changing thing is an ability akin to Vasher's ability to hide his 'ultra-breath.' 

Though, I may just be making stuff up.   ;D

*Warbreaker spoilers*

That's how I interpreted it too.  Returned can, with practice, change their appearance.  That's why the gods look like they think gods should look like; they're doing it subconsciously.  Ones which have been around as long as Vasher have learned to do it on demand.  People who are descended from Returned (somehow) retain a small bit of this power; one side of effect of it is the ability to change hair color at whim, as well as (apparently) growing hair on demand.

Like many things in Brandon's books, once you have the key, all the other pieces fall into place without any stretching or straining.
Nature hates being reified.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 25, 2008, 04:36:07 AM »
I'm guessing this is a near-final cover design.

It's up on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765320304

Interesting it's being marketed as Sci-Fi Essential.

Oh, I see they only pick one book per month with that label. Nice!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 25, 2008, 05:18:49 AM »
You know, at first I didn't like the lack of background, but seeing it like that I actually think I do like it.

Does anyone know what font was used for the title, both here and for MB?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »
I really like the cover. Along with watching the artist paint it. It turned out really good.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #745 on: November 25, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »
I absolutely love that cover. It's flippin' sweet.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 25, 2008, 11:38:23 PM »
I absolutely love that cover. It's flippin' sweet.

Agreed!  Oh, I can't wait for the release...I may actually have to take a solid ten hour drive to Provo for this one.  (I was going to do so for HoA, but my friends were too busy to go with...)
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 26, 2008, 04:12:20 AM »
that looks very good. Amazing.

She was on a bed before, was she not? I definitely like this version much better. Very cool.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 26, 2008, 05:25:49 AM »
I love that cover. Even if I hadn't read the rough copy I would definitely buy it. :)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 26, 2008, 05:45:21 AM »
Oh, I can't wait for the release...I may actually have to take a solid ten hour drive to Provo for this one.  (I was going to do so for HoA, but my friends were too busy to go with...)

I think it's worth it... but then again, my drive was like ten minutes last time.  However, there were those who drove for eight hours straight and said it was worth it.  (If you don't believe me, ask miyabi)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"