Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234530 times)

Korda

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • renderosity gallery
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #720 on: September 04, 2008, 01:33:23 AM »
I have read most books I own several times ??? but like everyone says this thread is about warbreaker.
I have just started reading it and I am enjoying it a lot (despite the misspelled words, which I actually find encouraging; there's hope for me yet!)
but one thing doesnt quite add up for me. If the godking was stillborn at birth, then returned and if the returned dont age... wouldnt he still be a pheotus?
I'm so clever I scare myself sometimes ::)
Wisdom cannot be found in a single sentence...

...You need at least two.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 04, 2008, 05:45:32 AM »
I have read most books I own several times ??? but like everyone says this thread is about warbreaker.
I have just started reading it and I am enjoying it a lot (despite the misspelled words, which I actually find encouraging; there's hope for me yet!)
but one thing doesnt quite add up for me. If the godking was stillborn at birth, then returned and if the returned dont age... wouldnt he still be a pheotus?
I THOUGHT THE SAME THING!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 04, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »
If the godking was stillborn at birth, then returned and if the returned dont age... wouldnt he still be a pheotus?

As I understand it, people who die as children and Return do grow and mature until they are at what they personally would consider an ideal age (young adult, most of them).  I imagine this would be the same for the Susebron.
He ate my horse.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #723 on: September 04, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »
I vaguely remember something about this too.  Even if they're really old when they die and Return, they would grow toward their perfection (grow younger).  That's what I remember anyhow.  Could be completely wrong.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #724 on: September 04, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »

I started Warbreaker on Monday and had it done on Wednesday. I can definitely say that something did not add up there :P

I'll post my complete opinion of Warbreaker later. Right now, I have my next class. However, I believe it will suffice to say it is completely awesome. To UtopiaGreen01, obviously you don't like Brandon enough if you aren't willing to buy his books to support him. I, for one, am very supportive. I've bought four copies of the original Mistborn (one first edition paperback, one hardback, and two second edition paperbacks), two Elantrises, two Wells of Ascension, and I will guarantee you I will purchase Warbreaker the first day it's available!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 04, 2008, 07:04:31 PM »

I started Warbreaker on Monday and had it done on Wednesday. I can definitely say that something did not add up there :P

Didn't anyone catch that the physical appearance of the Returned is one of the major plot twists?  It all made perfect sense to me at the end when I understood what was happening and how it was foreshadowed.

Long story short, the Returned get to choose what they look like; their body responds to their self-image.  With practice, they can even make it voluntary (although most don't know that).  Returned who are young grow until they choose to stop, and those who are old can do whatever they please (probably within limits, but still.)
Nature hates being reified.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 04, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »
Oh I see.  I'm only like sevenish chapters in.  I'm taking time to review and think about everything before i go on and am writing notes on every chapter as I read so I'm going rather slowly.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Korda

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • renderosity gallery
« Reply #727 on: September 05, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
I just finished chapter 30 and it does indeed say that the returned do age until they just reach maturity, then they stop. Im not too sure about the reverse aging but Im still only halfway through
Wisdom cannot be found in a single sentence...

...You need at least two.

Relient A

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 10, 2008, 01:22:19 AM »
There are a lot of pages... and I don't want to read through them for fear of spoilers. So Sorry if this is a repeat question, but is 6.1 released in anything other than .doc format? Because I don't have MS Word.
The following Statement is True.
The Previous statement is False.
(bythe way, that's a self-reliant paradox)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 10, 2008, 07:31:15 AM »
Check page 2 of Brandon's blog:

http://mistborn.livejournal.com/?skip=10
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

serandin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 10, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »
Just thought I'd mention the spell check error on page 3. Compared to once he'd once held? I assume 'ones he'd once held' is what was meant.

"Vasher had around fifty Breaths, just enough to reach the First Heightening. Having so
few made him feel poor compared to once he’d once held, but many would consider fifty Breaths
to be a great treasure."

Hope Mr. Sanderson or his editor reads these posts. :P

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 10, 2008, 06:39:11 PM »
Hope Mr. Sanderson or his editor reads these posts. :P

Nope, don't think they do anymore; as I understand it, EUOL is past the stage of taking outside comments and is relying on the editor's proofreaders to catch mistakes like that (of which there are quite a few).  We'll just have to hope they don't miss many!
He ate my horse.

Relient A

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 10, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
Thank you, Ookla, I actually remember reading that now and thinking I should download it. Heh, I feel dumb now.
The following Statement is True.
The Previous statement is False.
(bythe way, that's a self-reliant paradox)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #733 on: September 11, 2008, 03:26:39 AM »
Thank you, Ookla, I actually remember reading that now and thinking I should download it. Heh, I feel dumb now.

By the way, Reliant A, you can go to www.openoffice.org and download OpenOffice for free. It's almost exactly like Microsoft Office, only completely free. If you want a way to open .doc files, OpenOffice will do that fantastically and for the cheapest it can possibly be. :D
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 21, 2008, 06:54:12 PM »

Didn't anyone catch that the physical appearance of the Returned is one of the major plot twists?  It all made perfect sense to me at the end when I understood what was happening and how it was foreshadowed.

Long story short, the Returned get to choose what they look like; their body responds to their self-image.  With practice, they can even make it voluntary (although most don't know that).  Returned who are young grow until they choose to stop, and those who are old can do whatever they please (probably within limits, but still.)

That's kind-of the way I thought about it.  For some reason, I thought they age to their god-like returned form very quickly as well.

I'm not 100% sure though...I'll have to read it again after I am done reading MB 1 and 2 again.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain