Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234519 times)

dreamking47

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #510 on: March 29, 2007, 05:00:06 PM »
So like I was saying last week, the Blushweaver-Denth connection is made.  :P

MattD
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 29, 2007, 06:01:50 PM »
Well, at least a Blushweaver-God King Priesthood-Denth connection. ;)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 29, 2007, 06:30:22 PM »
And the God King's Priests show their ugly colors. But are they really working for the war, or do they just want to have the command phrases so no one else can start the war without them? I know it is kind of far-fetched, and I really don't know how it would work out, but it was just another random conspiracy theory ;)

Vivenna seems to be learning more than she lets on, and finally taking that hard look at herself that I have been hoping for, as have some others I think. Granted it was a kind of short lived look, but there was so much going on that I don't think EUOL could have spent more time on it without tipping the balance of the chapter. Which I thought was really good by the way :)

Lightsong as a scribe.....I guess I can see it, and if he was a scribe for a loan shark, if I am remembering that right, he would have had a naturally inquisitive nature, and would be used to following and sneaking around in places he shouldn't be to report back to his boss. That part of his nature seems to have a purpose, but as for the rest of it.... I just don't know about it. I love Scoot finally losing it on him though, I have been anxiously waiting for that to happen. The man has the patience of a Saint, but honestly, there has to be a breaking point and I guess they reached it with the dungeon.

Siri, well, there really isn't too much to say about that this time. Her part was really brief, but at least she realizes that something is going on and tries to make herself heard. Good girl on her part not just following meek as a lamb, and still having some fight left in her.

With all of that being said, I am anxiously awaiting next week :)

candylion

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 29, 2007, 11:27:59 PM »
Lightsong...a scribe. Hahaha. -laughs-
IS TAKING COMMISSIONS!...I <3 any art so click on and send me a message. I'll probably draw it.

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 01, 2007, 06:46:02 PM »
Well, at least a Blushweaver-God King Priesthood-Denth connection. ;)

Oh, pshaw: I never said Blushweaver and Denth were dating, just that I thought they must be part of the same warmongering faction.  And if you look back, I speculated that there would likely be some third group involved as well, because none of those we knew about seemed to have sufficient motivation.  That, BTW, is still true.

MattD
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 01, 2007, 10:32:56 PM »
no motivation except for the northern passages and general fear. They are being mislead of course with the fear thing. It seems like people have gotten worked up over nothing and they think war is the only way. I'm pretty sure we will find some more reasons as the book ends, but I think the motivation for most of them are lies and things blown out of proportion.
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 04, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
So one thing I'm waiting for; when do we get to find out who the Second Intruder is? And what did Vasher find out in those tunnels? That all happened back in chapters 26-27, and I'm just hoping we start seeing those loose ends get tied. I mean, with Vasher left tied up in the Palace, which is obviously available through the tunnels, Why didn't he explore and find the way into the city proper, and use that to rescue Siri instead of entering through the outside, and being more predictable to Denth? Who is the Other Intruder, and are they still somewhere in the tunnels? If the God-King supposedly has a set of master codes to the lifeless, why would his priests need to get them from Lightsong? And if the Priests wanted to interrogate Blushweaver, why'd they just kill her? And if Lightsong was only a scribe, and always getting them (he and Llarimar) into serious trouble, what is it about Lightsong that Llarimar admired, to make him one of the best men he knew?

On another note, in Idris, if the King often visited the Returned there, why wouldn't it be expected for them to use their breath to heal someone else, since that's what the Gods in Hallandren do. I mean, being a Returned isn't a sin to them, just the taking of other's breaths to stay alive. So, if they were sent back by Austre for a reason, it must be to heal someone else. In theory.

Of course, it's entirely possible (and likely) that my questions will be answered in the next few chapters, but that's what I'm thinking right now.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #517 on: April 04, 2007, 07:34:59 PM »
Chapter Fifty-four

New chapter is up  for you fine folks, though I don't know when I'll be able to blog it.  Important phone call coming any moment now.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 04, 2007, 08:40:13 PM »
And so some of the questions do get answered. Very cool. Talk about plot twists. That makes both of the Sisters getting betrayed by the One Person they each thought they could trust (Denth and Havarseth)

Varatridees (Denth) and Tridees are quite similar names for very different people. Or are they really so unconnected?

Although, have we met the Niece yet? Lightsong's Niece? Stennimar might have more significance to us if we'd heard the name before. Was he someone important to the historical plot before? Not that he needs to have a significance, but if Lightsong had heard the name before, from someone, or some writing, or something, it might... Make a difference in the feel... I don't know... A suggestion... One perhaps needing some salt...

I still want to know who the other intruder is.

Just had another thought... Who was the girl in the painting? My guess is that if it isn't the Past (Shashara?), then it's the future – Vivenna, who Nightblood likes, while she hates it. What a wonderful relationship. Now if she were able to draw him without throwing up, she is the likeliest of all to let Nightblood know what evil is. Though it would likely be miserable for her, not to mention traumatic, corrupting, or even lethal to her. Toxic at least. That would mean either dealing with the nausea or losing control of the sword and go on a killing spree. My vote's on the nausea.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:53:42 PM by Qarlin »

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 04, 2007, 11:02:48 PM »
And so some of the questions do get answered. Very cool. Talk about plot twists. That makes both of the Sisters getting betrayed by the One Person they each thought they could trust (Denth and Havarseth)

Yes, and both pull the same trick of stating their method plainly, out in the open where nobody will notice it.  Nice!

The Lightsong-Llarimar relationship was also very cool; I was wondering the same questions as Qarlin after the last chapter, but this pretty much clears them up.

What does bug me somewhat though is that in past chapters, while it was mentioned that Pahn Kahl existed before the Hallandren arrived, it always seemed to be referred to as a separate kingdom somewhere nearby, not as "just another province, part of the kingdom of [its] conquerors."  Granted we've been hearing the history from the victors, but more evidence, however subtle, in previous chapters of their conquered, "second-class" status would make this work better as a twist.

What I'm trying to figure out now is whether what we're seeing now was the plan, or if the plan was to go ahead and start the war while still orchestrating things behind the scenes, and something happened to change it.

MattD

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 05, 2007, 12:38:25 AM »
I am not sure about the original plan, but I think that the one in this chapter is fascinating.

I love the Lightsong/Scoot relationship. That is so much better than I had hoped for, but it feels so right with the plot so far. It explains questions that I had about the way Scoot always treated Lightsong with reverence and respect, even when I thought he was undeserving in the beginning.

Siri is finally seeing the way things are in the palace, and I don't think I am really too surprised by Bluefingers betrayal. As for having the Pahn Kahl seem more like second class citizens, I don't think that is neccessary. I think that is sufficiently done, mostly during the earlier chapters, but I thought that it was well done. I never thought of them as being too much more than slaves really. Maybe that was just me.

I loved this chapter, especially the insight it gives us into all of the craziness going on. I know it doesn't explain everything, but it does explain a lot and I am anxiously awaiting the next chapter :)

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #521 on: April 06, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
First I thought Lightsong was dead, and then he wasn't. You're a very suspenseful person, Mr. Sanderson. I have to say, when you're posting one chapter a week and I can't delve into the next chapter of my book with overflowing curiosity and on the verge of tears and I go downstairs or call someone and yell at them about something they don't know about.

I bet your wife gets to look at the new chapters. How many more is it now? four?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:54:07 AM by Swiggly »
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 10, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »
...the last chapter is released the last week of my college career. YAY!
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #523 on: April 11, 2007, 06:59:37 PM »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 12, 2007, 04:11:33 AM »
Hopefully you'll take this as the compliment that I it mean as, but I've been noticing that the prose in these 3rd drafts is flowing much more smoothly than in some of the earlier chapters/drafts.  It's going to be fun to go back and see how you've revised the earlier chapters, once the whole thing has been posted.

Two notes:

First, a minor nitpick: wasn't Lightsong stabbed in the shoulder not that long ago, causing pain that was "greater than, literally, he’d ever known in his short life?"  That seems to have been forgotten in the past 2-3 chapters.  No mention of shoulder pain, and in this chapter, his robes are "dirtied from crawling through the tunnel, then sitting in his cage" -- but not from bleeding.  Easy enough to fix.

Second,

(Usually it is followed by the "it doesn't matter because there's nothing you can do now that I've captured you, so let me reveal all my plans" device -- hopefully we avoid that here.)

:'(

MattD