Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234616 times)

dreamking47

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #495 on: March 22, 2007, 08:00:24 PM »
I liked the latest chapter, good to see Lightsong-the-detective back in action.  His actions at the end didn't bother me, he thinks of himself as an invulnerable God.  Plus who knows, if he can bleed, maybe he also can get at least a little bit drunk....

And yay, a Denth-Blushweaver connection is made.  It's fun to get these things right every now and then.  If, um, not quite what I had expected.  :o

Question: does Lightsong have a lot of Breath, or does he just naturally have a lot of BioChroma as a Returned God?  I've always understood the Returned Gods as needing regular infusions of Breath because each Breath they gain runs out over the span of a week or thereabouts.  The idea of Lightsong having a lot of BioChroma, with which to sense life, hasn't been mentioned before I don't think.

MattD
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 10:17:35 PM by dreamking47 »
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 22, 2007, 09:18:47 PM »
The Denth-Blushweaver connection? What do you mean? The guy who Lightsong overheard talking to Denth wanted Denth's help interrogating Blushweaver, but Denth declined. Doesn't sound like a Denth-Blushweaver connection to me.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 22, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »
Good point, read that bit too quickly!

MattD
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 23, 2007, 02:03:26 AM »
It sounded more to me like Tonk was talking to Denth about tourturing, but Denth declined because he was going to go "talk" with Vasher.

I was actually rather suprised by seeing Blushweaver like that.  She was the victum, right?  So if she was behind the war, why would she be trapped?

A side note, the comment about how beautiful her nightgown is seems slightly out of place.  Why comment on the beauty of it?  Everything she wears is beautiful.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 23, 2007, 04:07:19 AM »
I was actually rather suprised by seeing Blushweaver like that.  She was the victum, right?  So if she was behind the war, why would she be trapped?

Well, either she wasn't behind the war, her allies turned on her, or it's some clever trap to deceive Lightsong...

MattD

vadia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 23, 2007, 04:32:20 AM »
Maybe BW was just not aggressive enough -- so they wanted to step up things.  [I guess we'll just have to find out]

I still have difficulties with Lightsong charging in -- his instincts are better than that -- especially when he relatively just passed the lifeless.  I thought he was good at sleuthing -- but with this point he's just a shlamiel.

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 23, 2007, 11:22:06 PM »
Denth went to torture Vasher and Tonk wanted denth to help him interrogate Blushweaver. Did he really "kill" (he said dispose of...) nightblood though?! That's sad.

I think if I heard her screaming I would assume she was in immediate danger so she would need me right then
(although I would have just gotten stabbed too...) I think they had walked a while... at least a few minutes so the lifeless would be a few minutes away... and he does think he's invincible, Or he can die but it would be his own choice? He also had a lot of skills that he didn't know about it and thought sword fighting might be one of them. I think what he did didn't seem like such a wierd thing. They are friends and he "is lightsong the bold."
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 28, 2007, 06:16:29 PM »
I don't think it was Tonk talking to Denth. More likely one of the priests still there when Lightsong attacked. It's too bad he didn't know how to use a sword. And I'm assuming that Llarimar is also being held at sword point, but it might help to mention that.

I wonder though, if Lightsong had instincts to know how to sneak, know how to interrogate and investigate, why wouldn't he have instincts on how to best deal with the soldiers? Of course, the encounter is not yet over, so anything could happen. It would be funny though, even if Lightsong's past life knew nothing about fighting, if Blushweaver's past life did, or something like that.

I think that they were torturing her because they wanted command of the Lifeless themselves, which kinda sucks, since now they have Lightsong captive, and he has the rest of the army.

But then, maybe she was sneaking in herself, and was caught... a little out of character, but since we don't know what her past life was, it's possible. More likely that her "contact" in the palace betrayed her, but it's still possible. And I suppose it's proof that Lightsong loves her that he rushed in to help without thinking about the Lifeless, plus, he'd have to search the rooms to find the ones that were his, and those rooms are big; getting from one to the other may have taken too long.

On an earlier note, I am confused as to how the fighting over stopped. In theory, once drawn, once the fighting begins, it wouldn't stop until everyone who wanted it was dead. Interesting that Denth and Tonk didn't come out until after the fighting stopped.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #503 on: March 28, 2007, 07:39:26 PM »
Chapter Fifty-three

Things start to go a little crazy from here on....

As for the conversation, among other things, it's obvious I have to clarify the use of Nightblood in the hallway up there. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Guido

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 28, 2007, 08:26:36 PM »
um... wow.   A LITTLE crazy?  What counts as "out of control" then?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #505 on: March 28, 2007, 08:44:25 PM »
Out of control would be the ending of Elantris, which is crazy, even for me.  I think I'm better at having a controlled avalanche now, as opposed to everything just toppling over and squishing the reader.  (I think)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Guido

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 28, 2007, 08:53:59 PM »
Yeah, i can see that.  Still, i have to say i'm wondering how they good guys are going to manage to win.  And where is the God-King through all of this?  You think he'd have something to say about not being allowed to see his wife.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 28, 2007, 09:04:35 PM »
So much for them being fighters... But why would a scribe know such an odd assortment of skills?

vadia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 28, 2007, 09:29:56 PM »
I didn't like the "lap lap lap" thing maybe if it were in thought symbols.

I think that the torture scene was too short.  (not enough time to make up his mind.  He's in so much shock that they'd have killed Llarimar before he fully understood that Blushweaver was dead.)

"We'll give you an hour to decide -- then we'll do the same with him (point to llarimar)."
type of thing.

Llarimar doesn't seem the heroic type, I think he'd whimper while Lightsong agonizes over his choice.

After an hour of that and the interregator whips out his knife with Lightsong's momentary hesitation and he'd blurt out the response in a New York minute.  IMNSHO.

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 29, 2007, 12:25:07 AM »
I actually really liked the lap lap lap thing. Like he was a crazy old fisherman guy who has no morals just wants to eat and not do what people tell him or something...
I really liked his dance dance dance thing too. It was really random and funny to think about. It brought me back to corpse bride.

I wasn't ready for that chapter to be over!!! I can't wait until next week!!!!
Dude, no no really, DUDE!