Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234723 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2007, 06:40:40 AM »
Well initally, she was just trying to make sure that she didn't get killed by offend Subron, and then after she realized that wasn't going to happen, her focus went to not getting killed because she gives birth to a heir.  Right now her main focus is on trying to stay alive.  She doesn't really know that her sister is even in the city, and the only thing she knows about the war is that they're discussing it, and I think she's going to stumble across a way to stop the war in trying to save their lives.  (least wise, that's what I'm hoping for.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #346 on: January 17, 2007, 08:25:23 PM »
New chapter is here:  Chapter Forty Two

Great discussion this time around. 

I think I may indeed have to do something to get Vivenna to at least think about contacting Siri.  MattD’s explanation of why it wouldn't work is a good one, but she should at least think about it--then I can decide whether her psychology will talk herself out of it, or whether Denth will stop it. Nice catch, all.

As for Vivenna...well, you'll have to see where this goes.  I don't include characters in books just to teach them lessons.  I include them because the characters interest me.  I intended for Vivenna to be more competent, but once I placed her in Hallandren, I just couldn't justify it.  Her part in the plot right now, as I see it, has been to give us eyes to watch what is unfolding.  Someone caught up in all of it, someone who has a large stake in it.  But, also, some other things.  Chapter forty-three gives us some explanations, many of which you guys have already guessed. 

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2007, 09:52:46 PM »
Great chapter!!!  I was laughing the entire way through... and now I can't wait to see what Lightsong will do, both with the commands, as well as his petition's.  He always felt guilty for not helping, so maybe he'll stop his guilt by doing what Allmother did... I would love to see how he would be both good and bad at helping at the same time... maybe giving suggestions that at the time of suggesting them sound completely insane, but turn out really good (a guy with a stutter comes asking for it to be cured, and Lightsong tells him to tell stories, and in the end the guy ends up doing Opera singing because when he sings he looses his stutter type thing).
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 18, 2007, 07:27:52 AM »
I really liked this chapter, especially Allmother. I think that she quite nicely halts any way that Lightsong could have gotten out of DOING something, if , and when, a war finally breaks out. Well done :)

I hope to see much more improvement in Vivenna, and am extremely encouraged by your response to our questions and discussions about her plight. I anxiously await this chapter every week, with school being so hectic and homework heavy this quarter, it is the only "fun" reading that I get to do. So, thank you for that. :D

Tjaeden

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 18, 2007, 06:44:25 PM »
Again, Lightsong gives a 10/10 performance.  The look into Allmother's petitioners was amazing.  It put a refreshing spin on how the religion could work, and at how the people would still have faith in their "gods."  However, the forshadowing of the unrest puts the entire scene in a dark mood, and was perfectly done.  The humor of Lightsong and Allmother, I see, is only a nervous cover.  She is deadly serious - which I think is good to see in a new God character - and a wonderful contrast to Lightsong.

*spoiler*

Allmother sharing her Lifeless codes with Lightsong is the best thing that could have happened to his character.  He is still burdened with responsibility and power, and I could practically feel him sigh.  This action (combined with the aged description with Allmother, she won't last long , I bet) pretty much cancels out Lightsong giving his Breath away to save anyone, who is not crucial to winning the war (as defined by Lightsong).

After Denth turning on Vivenna, this is the best turn in the story so far.
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

Master Bombadil

• Level 2
  • Ghost King of Saia
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 19, 2007, 05:58:15 AM »
Great chapter, I didn't stop laughing the whole time.  Excellent way to force Lightsong into some responsibility.

No, Allmother is not going to last long, with her aged appearance, caring for the people and reference to a need to spread out the commands.

I think Lightsong is more interested in stopping the war than winning it, and now I definitely think he is going to give up his breath for Susebron.

Hopefully, we will also be learning more about Calmseer.  She is important in some way we don't know about yet.
I am not bragging.  I am understating.

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 19, 2007, 08:31:55 PM »
I agree.  Bravo!  Fantastic Chapter!  *applause* 

I love that we truly see Lightsong's direct distrust of Blushweaver.  He has been toying with her for so long avoiding her overtures etc.  I love it.  I can about see Blushweaver's reaction if she find's out he has Allmother's commands.  Such a twist in the back when she finds he never intended to give them to her. 

By far I have to say Lightsong is my favorite character, Siri is a close second.

Master Bombadil

• Level 2
  • Ghost King of Saia
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2007, 04:45:12 AM »
I just had another of my brilliant ideas (please, no eye rolling) about how Susebron could use his breath or give it away.

In normal Awakening, when you speak you combine two elements: language and perfect pitch.  The Artisan's script is another language, so that element is already present, but perhaps perfect coloration could be substituted for perfect pitch.

Also, where an Awakener using their voice must be holding something of color, would one using the Artisans' script need to be listening to a sound?
I am not bragging.  I am understating.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2007, 05:36:21 AM »
I think... you may have just hit on how he is going to be able to use his breaths.  Since part of the script is color, using the perfect color would work.  Now I can't wait to see if you're right.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2007, 06:13:15 AM »
Very nice theory. :D

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #355 on: January 24, 2007, 09:18:49 PM »
New chapter is here:  Chapter Forty Three

Discussion has already covered some of the things that come up here, but I'm glad to finally get to this chapter so that we can clear some things up. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 25, 2007, 02:17:37 AM »
YAY! VASHER IS THE GOOD GUY. So... I guess Blushweaver is the goddess who is trying to get the war started?? I really don't see why they would want to have a war either. I guess she obviosly doesn't like Siri but that's not really a reason to start a war, right? Or maybe she's just bored and wants some purpose in the court. She feels useless or something.

I felt the end to the chapter to be a little corny. “Let’s get to work, then,” seemed a bit on the corny side... also, would she really just instantly trust Vasher? I know he saved her and all but he had kidnapped her and treated her very poorly before and threatened to kill her if she ran away. Just because the other guys became the bad guys doesn't always mean that the bad guys become the good guys... well I guess they usually do in fiction but would she really just assume this? I think she kinda needed more time to decide to trust him... maybe?

Any thoughts?!
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 25, 2007, 02:23:57 AM »
Thank goodness she really isn't that stupid, and not too proud to admit her mistakes, not only to herself, but to others as well.

Sorry if that didn't make sense, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that chapter. I am also glad that Vasher is as I felt him to be, not a bad guy, just bad with people. :) I understand that failing, I have it from time to time, but not quite as fully as he does.

This is feeling like things are going to be moving a bit quickly from this point on, and I love it when Brandon's books get to that point. Very good chapter I thought.

As for trusting Vasher right off, he had a week to kill her while she was recovering, and did not do so. In the mind of a rational person, as Vivenna supposedly is, this would mean that he didn't intend to kill her at all. It would not only have been much easier, but he didn't have to give her the proper command to get her Breath back either. He could have left her as a Drab. Both good points if arguing for the trusting issue.

DavidB

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 25, 2007, 02:36:12 AM »
I'm about halfway through this chapter...so far so good, except:

The sword in Denth’s hand was obviously enough to ward the girl away. 
("I always was my own worst enemy," he remarked, as he tossed away his latex Vasher-mask.)

Also,
  • The sentence, "Was that a group of thugs, wishing to sell her to Denth." should end in a question mark.
    "responding to her mood for the first time since her shock at seeing peprin dead" -- Peprin might appreciate a capital P.
  • Did you call them "thug lords" before? Because for some reason, the term struck me as intrinsically funny when I read it in this chapter.
  • "Vivenna had to fight to keep herself from jumping at every sound, looking over her shoulder to see if someone were following her. " -- Should be "was"...I think.
  • "young woman of indeterminable age " -- This feels sort of self-contradictory: If her age is indeterminate, how do we know she's young?
  • "Someone slipped a few broken Lifeless into the group, with orders to kill, so that the thing would turn bad!" -- needs closing quote marks.

I note that, considering Vivenna has just realized Denth was lying to her, she's awfully quick to believe in Vasher's version of events.

...also, I was slightly disappointed that the sword didn't get to say anything this chapter.

DavidB

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 25, 2007, 02:50:30 AM »
Dawn --

You're right that Vasher obviously doesn't want to kill Vivenna. Then again, neither did Denth.

Instead, Vasher wants to use Vivenna to convince the Idrisese (or whatever) to do something (or not, as the case may be)...just like Denth did.

It is conceivable that getting the Idrisese to submit to the Halladrens is no more in their best interests than trying to start a war with them was. (The only reason it could be is Vasher's assurance that the war is still avoidable -- which might or might not be true.) It's also possible that the only reason Vasher let Vivenna know the command to get her breath back was because she wouldn't have been a very convincing princess if she were still sick.

So it's still possible that both Vasher and Denth are bad guys (though of course, Vasher hasn't yet  clinched the issue by kicking the dog, or parrot, as the case may be). I'm not saying that this is likely, but considering Vivenna's recent experiences, she'd probably at least consider it. (Someone once said, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on, er, shame on you.")