Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 247475 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2006, 09:51:46 PM »
No, she didn't.  I think you're right about the freaking out about her hearing it, but I think he's more shocked that she knew how to use it, and realized that's what it was.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2006, 03:00:49 AM »
MattD:  Good catch.  I noticed that one myself, and was toying with what to do about it.  I think I'd rather Vivenna overhear the phrase covertly somehow, to give this scene more punch.  It's either that, or make Denth less surprised.  What do you guys think?

New chapter: 
Chapter Thirty Eight

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2006, 03:22:52 AM »
I think that she should hear Jewels use it, as I think  she did, and not say anything about it, and nobody noticed in the first place, if I remember correctly. So, it should be kind of an easy fix with that.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2006, 04:55:09 AM »
I think you should have it be the same, but have his comment be less of "you let her hear".  Still have him be suprised.  I would think he would be more shocked that she was willing to use a lifeless.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2006, 05:22:31 AM »
Has anyone thought about the idea of one of the band that works with Vivenna was the one that followed Vasher into Mercystar's palace?  I was just thinking about that... maybe a double agent...

thoughts?

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2006, 06:02:19 PM »
I had thought of that, but it would be very difficult to do, unless it was Jewels or Clod. Someone with any breath would be felt by Vasher, but he has the same problem as others so with feeling Lifeless and those without their Breath. They kind of just don't show up on the radar. The others have their Breath so he would have felt them, and if they were following Vasher I don't think that they were working with him, just seeing what he was up to. Just my opinion though, I guess we will have to wait a bit to see what Brandon has planned for that bit :)

As for Lightsong, I still have the feeling that there is something there that we are missing.....more specifically I guess, that I am missing something. But I love the Lightsong chapters for their self-deprecating humor, and the fact that he has some of the most fascinating dreams. Like you are going to get a glimpse, but it eludes you.....but you keep looking just in case....Very nice.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2006, 10:01:57 PM »
I know what you're saying about missing something.  I think that last dream had to do with his old life... and how he died (but that's my thought.)

And remember, we didn't see what happened after Vasher let the squarl escape, and we don't kn0w how far behind the other one was?  What if they had breaths, followed,  and got in a fight in the tunnels?  Lightsong hasn't gone down there after all...

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 22, 2006, 05:21:47 PM »
Just a few thoughts/hypothesis...

I actually like Denth's surprise at Vivenna hearing the Command and like to see it kept.  She has used her breath once and knows that there are commands period it is not that big of a leap that as intelligent (thought naive) as Vivenna is that she could begin to make that connection. 

As far as Lightsong goes.... well the similarities of the beginning of the war some what 300 years before and his memories well could he have been one of the ships captains back then?  I know too long but they are Returned would it be reasonable to consider that the Returned give their lives for one and then is reborn in another body to eventually die (doing whatever heroic thing that they do, whatever purpose it is that drives them to Return) and become a Returned again?  They don't remember anything (typically) death is a harsh thing to endure and thus causing a shock to the body to prevent the memory but Lightsong now dwells so much on this he is putting peices together towards that obviously.

Or we drop that whole concept and he is a Seer as they think he is and he is seeing a second coming of such a horrid war and will see that until something takes a sharp turn to negate/change what he is seeing.  The future is flexible is it not?

Kel
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:18:39 PM by Pterath »

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 22, 2006, 08:47:48 PM »
Yes, the future is a flexible thing. That being said.... I don't think that Lightsong is a seer in the traditional sense of the word. I think that he is from outside of Hallendren, and as such could be seeing things that have happened elsewhere. As a crewman or a captain of a ship he would have had the opportunity to be in a battle, as the seas can be very dangerous, and he would have had the opportunity to be near Hallendren, or even in it, when he was killed and then Returned. Pure speculation on my part, but it makes a certain kind of sense to me in the grand scheme of things.

Dominique Demille

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2006, 10:03:25 PM »
Sorry for the silence, I've not been able to think of much way to contribute. However, I would like to cast my vote on the matter currently discussed. Although its been said, I would prefer if Vivenna heard the code on accident, and no one were knew until she used it. The fury of not realizing she'd heard it until too late would definitely make for a bit more interesting escape, especially when combining it with the fact that she's stepping down from her high and mighty pedestal.

I'm not too good at the whole mystery solving thing, so I'll just have to wait and see what's going on with both Vasher (dying to know) and Lightsong. Who is he? What will he find in the tunnels? Who followed Vasher? And what plans did Vasher have that the Princess is ruining? Tune in next week, and the week after, and the week after....  ;D Great story so far. I'm thoroughly impressed especially considering its only your second draft.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 22, 2006, 10:07:08 PM »
I think that the death time is exactly as it's been stated, which is five years ago.  How else could Llarimar who knew him in life still be alive if he was the original God King or 300 years old?  No, he's exactly as he seems to be in that sense.  However, I can't help but feel there really is SOMETHING we're missing about him...

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 23, 2006, 07:30:34 AM »
I feel the same way about him, and Vasher as well.

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 23, 2006, 04:28:13 PM »
Agreed on Vasher.

Lightsong is a puzzle but I feel very much like he will choose to give his breath to save another but I don't think it will be one of his petitioners.  Though i could be wrong.

As for the the God King he is not 300 yrs old,  only 50, with a the prospect of a child being born stillborn and the God King dying so closely after seems to me to mean he gives his breath to save the life of his child.  The problem is HOW if he cannot speak?  But Denth and Vivenna has given us some clues to how seeing how instinctively she was able to use her breath.  He gave her hints that she could focus strongly to give the command direction before speaking it, perhaps Susebron can do that and not have to speak it with as much breath as he holds? 

Just speculation...

Kel

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 23, 2006, 08:47:47 PM »
That idea about Lightsong not giving it to a petitioner is going to prove very accurate.  The question is which of the group is he going to give it to?  I would love to see Susebron lose his breaths, and then Lightsong give his to the king... but then again I'm kind of a hopeless romantic and don't want to see Siri live without him if she is falling for him.

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 23, 2006, 11:48:08 PM »
I whole heartedly agree with saving Susebron, not even for just Siri's sake but for his own. 

Thing is here we are going into section four.  Doesn't even seem like there is time for a child to be born with the quick pace thus far. Especially, since Siri and Susebron haven't tangoed.

Kel