Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234585 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Warbreaker Sample Chapters
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »
No, actually, I think that the article misses the point of the Creative Commons.

A CC copyright license is intended to be something that GIVES UP copyright privileges.  You simply have to say "Copyright Brandon Sanderson" to make something copyrighted.  However, if you want people to be free to download, copy, and distribute your work, you use the Creative Commons copyright--which lets you give away some rights, but not others.  

It's not a silly thing, and it's actually quite important.  If I write Copyright Brandon Sanderson people CAN NOT distribute the piece without breaking the law.  If I put it under the creative commons, then I'm allowing them to--but only under certain circumstances.  

The pcmag guy has no idea what he's talking about.  The CC is for people who want to give their work away for free, and get rid of some of the implied copyright they're given whether they want it or not by the copyright office.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »
But you can write Copyright brandon sanderson then say what the terms are for distribution (and hence it's not illegal), creative commons is a fix for a problem that doesn't exist.

And yet with CC you're stuck with it no matter what so even after it's published people still have the rights to distribute it since you cannot rescind CC.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 05:27:09 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2006, 05:55:56 PM »
If you give terms for distribution, you're doing exactly what the CC did.  All they are, Sprig, is terms for distribution.

I don't take exception to your disagreeing with CC because of its limitations.  It's the fact that you call it silly, using a poorly-researched opinion article as your support, when other newspapers--the Washington post, for instance--have lauded the move.  It was not created by people who know nothing about copyright law.  It was founded by a professor of law at Stanford, for heaven's sake!

If you want to release something for free, yet want to retain some of your legal rights, it's the simplest and easiest way.  Sure, you could come up with your own allowances for distribution, but they would be much more difficult to uphold in court.  Plus, why re-invent the wheel?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
CC is reinventing the wheel, and how is it simpler to go through all the CC registration and adding their text and code over typing out your own.  And I doubt your own created distribution text would stand up any worse the CC would.

No one has yet to list a reason why using CC over regular copyright is better.  All the stuff on the web make it sound better but once you get down to it if there's no difference why do you need CC besides to inflate some Stanford Professor's ego or do you now like to hang around the internet trying to claim you're cool like all the other people mindlessly using it?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 06:29:47 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2006, 06:52:21 PM »
How is it easier to add theirs as opposed to typing my own?  Sprig, it's simple.  I DON'T HAVE TO TYPE MY OWN.  I can let people smarter than I am in these areas deal with it, and I can just slap the CC license on and not have to worry.  Yes, it's lazy--in the same way that buying my burger is lazy compared to killing my own cow, grinding the meat, and cooking it on my own.

CC has been tested in courts, has proven wildly popular with people who have been offering their work for free, and gives me peace of mind.  Plus, I look at it this way.

On one side:

Spriggan, suggesting that you ignore the lawyers whom you pay to pay attention to things like this--and calling you mindless for listening to their advice.

On the other side:

Tor/St. Martin's Legal Department, your editor, and the president of the company all suggesting that it would be more legally sound to go with the cc license.  

Hum....

Regardless, this is a thread to deal with comments on the chapters of WARBREAKER, not a place to argue about the copyright issues.  Sprig, I'd be happy to continue the conversation if you wish to make a new thread.  

Otherwise, let there be new Warbreaker!  I will post another chapter soon--either tonight or tomorrow.  Huzzah!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »
And, after a bit of a diversion, we have:

www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/WarbreakerCh19-1.0.doc

Chapter Nineteen!

For future reference, I'll be posting these one a week on Wednesdays for the next few weeks.  I've recently gotten the MISTBORN 2 manuscript back from Tor for editing, and the ALCATRAZ manuscript is on its way from Scholastic.  That means I'll have very little time for WARBREAKER in the next couple of weeks.  You'll get at least one new chapter a week, however.  

demented_yam

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2006, 01:26:22 AM »
I just got to the part before the cut to Lightsong's half of the chapter.

Hilarious!!!  ;D :D ;D

[edit]finished the chapter.

Lightsong is definitely shaping up well.  His reluctance to get involved in his own religionis particularly interesting, and I think this is the first hit you've given us to his past, which i really want to hear more of.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 01:31:21 AM by demented_yam »

Dominique Demille

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2006, 04:13:59 PM »
Ah if only all published writing were as good as your rough drafts Brandon, I would never lack for anything to read. There are a few things that I would like to comment on though. I was a little put off by Vasher opening the world. It jumped right into it, but left me a bit confused. So far he is the least developed of any of the characters I believe, and so even at this point I can't say I like him being the opener.

I agree with the previous poster who said you lose something by introducing people to a world vibrant with color and then taking them to a world of drab. Or perhaps the drab just isn't fixated upon enough. I think the flower should draw more disapproval and perhaps anger than it does, with perhaps some more explanation as to why the disapproval is so strong.

Also, if you intend to cut Mab out entirely, you need to make her seem like a less important character than she does at the beginning. I don't like this option, so perhaps I can present another. Siri is supposed to be alone, but I think Mab would create another excellent contrast to Vevenna, if the cook could find her way to the princess. I would hate to lose such a good character as Mab.

Again, there needs to be more Vasher. He doesn't make sense right now. I don't see his place in the story at all. So far he is the only one not in any way linked to the others, except that he was watching Vivenna at court, which in and of itself is confusing. I'm sure it will all be explained in due time, and perhaps it is just my frustration with only getting to read one wonderful chapter at a time that I feel the explanation is a little slow in the making. At the very least, perhaps its time to see more of Vasher?

Loryn

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2006, 11:01:47 PM »
I agree that Vasher is not in the story very much so far.  But I do like the thought of Breath.  Very clever.  

And what does happen to Mab?  She just disappears.

Other than that I think that it is a great story!  

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2006, 12:17:32 AM »
I think I agree with Loryn; I miss mab :'(, Anywayz, when can we expect to find out why the heck Vasher was watching Vivena? I'm expecting some answers on Wednesday, of course.
I also sympathize with the people saying that Vasher's view point at the Prolouge throws a wrench in later chapters. However, many writers seem to like using a certain viewpoint for only a chapter, including me so...
I should probably stop typing before I massacre a whole page.
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"

BarbaraJ

• Level 1
  • Let's get dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2006, 11:33:40 AM »
Hi!  I just wanted to say I've been reading Warbreaker and am loving it.  The concept is great and the characters are all compelling.

I don't think there's too little Vasher yet.  There are so many mysterious things still, he is one more part of the mystery.  The prologue let us know that *something* big is going on, and there's enough other stuff going on now, I'm ready to wait to find out what.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2006, 12:34:19 PM »
Thank you, all, for the comments.  It is very useful for me to sit here, like a fly on the wall, watching as you discuss the book.  

However, I would like to respond to Mab.  I'm sorry to have to cut her.  I'm pretty sure that, in the rewrite, I'll have to take her out of all of the book save for the first Siri chapter.

There are a couple of reasons I did this.  The main one is that I was just having too much trouble trying to work her into the story.  Where would she and the guards stay in the palace?  What purpose would they serve?  How would I juggle the people Siri needs to grow to know with the ones she already does know?

In the end, I realized that I just had too many characters fighting for space in the Siri chapters--particularly since she spends a good portion of her chapters locked up in the God King's bed chamber.  Mab was fun, but she was distracting from the real plot.  In addition, she acted as kind of a 'safety net' for Siri--something familiar to hold onto.  Because of that, she had to be cut.  The emotional impact of Siri's story depends upon her feeling isolated at the beginning.  (Which, by the way, is why I also added the concept of her having to spend a week sequestered in the palace following her wedding.)

Hope that helps!  Also, I hope it doesn't ruin the story too much to see my behind-the-scenes theorizing about the writing process.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2006, 04:54:29 PM »
As promised, here's the new chapter:

www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/WarbreakerCh20-1.0.doc

I sometimes worry that I go a little TOO far with the dialogue in this book.  The latter books of MISTBORN didn't have as much humor as I often like to use, since it didn't feel appropriate for the tone of the book.  So, as a reaction, I think that WARBREAKER has an unusually large number of quick-tongued characters who say amusing things.

Any thoughts?

Shir Hashirim

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2006, 05:43:59 PM »
I like it.  It's not overly odd or cliche and I have yet to roll my eyes, so I think it's all good.  It reminds me a little of Aaron Allston's work with the X-wing novels and how he had his characters interact.  Maybe some people don't like it, but that's their problem. I find it rather enjoyable.
Knowing the mysterious, the imaginary, seems to me as vital as breathing, for without it, how can we further our society?

demented_yam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2006, 09:34:09 PM »
One thing about thie latest chapter:

Part of their plans involves raiding caravans so that they can't support a possible war.

This is probably the worst way to go about preventing a war that I can imagine.

Even if the raids on the caravan are not linked directly with them, the rulers of the city could easily do so anyway.

raiding caravans leaves the priests open to blaming it on the 'rebels', and that will just anger the citizens of the city further.

"We raid merchant caravans," Denth said. "Hit them at the right time, try and burn things up, cost them a bunch.  That ought to confuse people in the city quite a bit, make it more difficult for the priests to gain momentum for the war."

all the priests have to do is blame the loss of supplies on their enemies, and they can push the people into a war with this as an excuse.

"Priests run a lot of the trade in the city," Tonk Fah added.  "They have all the money, so they tend to own the supplies.  Burn away a lot of the things they intended to use for warfare supplies, and maybe they'll be more hesitant to attack."

It won't make them hesitant to attack, it will make them more willing.  if they start losing supplies, they will just be more desparate to end the threat sooner.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 09:35:20 PM by demented_yam »