Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 247354 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Warbreaker Sample Chapters
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2006, 07:55:47 PM »
New Edit of Part One, with typos fixed, courtesy of joevans3:

www.brandonsanderson.com/drafts/warbreaker/AAWarbreakerPartOne-1.2.doc

Thanks, Joe!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 02:23:01 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Seeker

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 04, 2006, 10:52:10 PM »
How much is changed?  is it worth re-reading?
-Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2006, 11:02:42 AM »
Seeker,

The changes are all small, cosmetic ones.  When I post the 2.0 or the 3.0, it might be interesting to read for changes, but not this one.  I just wanted to post and say thanks to the guy who edited it for me.  

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2006, 01:44:55 PM »
The "Pahn Unity"...(goes back to check Chapter 1)...now that's interesting.  Or coincidence?

Another good chapter, I thought.  Of course, as I mentioned, Lightsong has become my favorite of the characters, but it's good to see the action picking up overall.  I do like and am thankful that there's something in Lightsong's background that is making him inquisitive: in one stroke it both contributes to the mystery of his background and helps explain his recent behavior changes.  It's a nice bit of writing craft.

One critical comment on the chapters just previous to this new one: both Siri and Vivenna in their latest chapters have conversations where they struggle with concepts in an almost straw-man sort of way, Siri with sarcasm and Vivenna with belief.  By that I mean that the arguments they make in their heads are less intelligent and sophisticated then the ones many of your readers might make.  I didn't necessarily mind either in itself -- I can believe that this world is simply less intellectually sophisticated than our modern times, it has a pre-Renaissance Europe sort of feel -- but both arguments combined, and having them placed back-to-back, felt a little awkward to me.  It's tough on the reader, especially in fantasy, having a main character that's less capable or sophisticated than the reader in any significant way.  Here you potentially have two such main characters.  Whatever the parallels of their journeys may be, I think it's thus important to manage the characters so that readers don't have that alienating "I could do better than that" feeling too often or too strongly.

It will be interesting to read this when it's finished, because it has occurred to me that the weekly format of releasing chapters doesn't help the middle part of the book, where I and apparently others felt things dragged a bit.  I do think there are some things that could be improved in later drafts (naturally, this being just the first), but it's also likely true that reading that middle section chapter-by-chapter over the course of two months makes it feel like it's dragging much more than it will when we can read that section in just a few hours and then continue on to the end of the book where at least some of the mysteries are revealed.

MattD
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 02:27:03 PM by dreamking47 »
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2006, 02:38:54 PM »
Matt,

Yes, the weekly format has that drawback.  It's something of a trouble with my writing groups too.  I'll be sure to have alpha readers look at it in whole when it's ready for that.

Could you state, more specifically, which of the arguments you feel are straw men?  I'm aware of what that means, and I think I've got the scenes you're talking about, but I'm not quite certain (on the Siri one especially) where you are finding the characters to be less sophisticated than the reader.  

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2006, 07:33:12 PM »
Matt,
Could you state, more specifically, which of the arguments you feel are straw men?  I'm aware of what that means, and I think I've got the scenes you're talking about, but I'm not quite certain (on the Siri one especially) where you are finding the characters to be less sophisticated than the reader.  

Certainly...

With Vivenna I was referring to page 14 in chapter 26, specifically the parts where Vivenna is thinking that to believe someone is wrong about something is to put yourself above them.  I thought the part before it, the conversation with Jewels, was really good, so I was disappointed that Vivenna then got mentally stuck at this point.  It seems to me that it's a simple trap that any mode of thinking offers some "out" from.  The "modern" approach of reason and rationality would state that believing someone is wrong about something is simply not putting yourself above them; you're only putting yourself above someone if you deny their ability to learn via reasoned debate the incorrectness of their belief, or deny them the same chance to convince you that they are right and you are wrong.  Some religions would assert that their precepts only apply to those who abide by the same faith, so it's okay to place yourself above non-believers.  In feudal times there was the parents vs. children argument, that commoners were like children who needed the guidance of the nobility and/or priesthood.  Etc.

So it seemed a bit of a straw man for her to be getting stuck on this question, because every society has some built-in way of answering it.  Vivenna is a Princess, after all: a monarchy must be based on some justification for putting some people above others, that she must be familiar with.  The scene thus felt like an artificial delay in Vivenna's story -- she wouldn't be grappling with this question, because she would already have a socially-supplied answer.  She would either be grappling with the justification that underlies that answer, or with the other fundamental questions she's facing.

With Siri, well, I myself have been called sarcastic more than once in the past (shocking, I know), so I guess the way she tries to define and justify sarcasm jumped out at me.  I think her definition (at the top of chapter 25, page 9) is actually backwards: sarcasm is when you say something with one meaning, often a meaning that might in other circumstances be kind, but mean it in a negative way, the opposite of its literal meaning.  When my younger brother messes up and I say, "oh, brilliant!," that's sarcasm.  It is by definition derisive: one of the roots of "sarcasm" means "to tear flesh."  When Siri says that being sarcastic is when you say "things that might be hurtful to someone, but you say them in an affectionate way, or in a playful way," really that's just irony: saying the opposite of something to achieve a particular emphasis.  Sarcasm often includes irony, but all that is ironic is not sarcastic.  Ironically, Siri's and Susebron's banter is in fact somewhat sarcastic -- even though none of it actually fits Siri's definition.

(Apologies for the lecture...don't even get me started on "sardonic!" ;) )

Anyway, I thought this was a straw man because Susebron asks Siri some pretty big questions -- "why do people not say what they mean" and "why do they make fun of each other" -- and Siri gives an overly-simple answer to the straw man: "to be playful or tease."  

Does that make sense?  Maybe it's just me, but in each of these scenes, as I was reading them I found myself thinking "that's not right," or "I could answer that better," or "come on, the answer is obvious," etc.  That the scenes occurred in back-to-back chapters made it especially noticeable.

MattD
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:38:08 PM by dreamking47 »
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

joevans3

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2006, 07:45:03 PM »
I really liked Chapter 27.  I liked the development of the art critique idea (maybe a cover image is suggested here?).  It is interesting to have a god with power that he doesn't really believe in.  

I also started to wonder if Llarimar weren't a faithful lieutenant of Lightsong in a past life, but some sort of traitor.  If an inspector were hot on your trail in some kind of corruption case, and you managed to assasinate him, it would really really stink if he resurrected the next day.  Maybe that would motivate you enough to make you try to become his priest and keep an eye on him.  But the way Llarimar is so steeped in the doctrine suggests he was a priest already, before Lightsong died.  Hmmm...

I just reskimmed the first paragraphs of Chapter 1 v. 2.0.  Is Nightblood silver or black? is just the hilt silver?  Obviously the blade  needs to be black to fit the painting, and everyone's first impression of it, but having that first description focus on the silver throws me off.

The idea of Nightblood having some mythic historical role in the Manywar is intriguing.  Obviously it would take a ton of breaths to animate a sword.  It is growing more clear that this is not often done in this world.  Also, none of the other reanimated objects seem to talk telepathically to their users.

-J

PS I just volunteered some more superficial edits for Part II.  I am the kind of person that gets bothered by typos, so I thought I would make it easier for new readers who happen to pick up the draft.  Seems to go with the open-source theme here.  Enjoy.

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2006, 09:20:03 PM »
I also started to wonder if Llarimar weren't a faithful lieutenant of Lightsong in a past life, but some sort of traitor.
[...]
The idea of Nightblood having some mythic historical role in the Manywar is intriguing.

The comment about Llarimar is fascinating because as I was reading the latest chapter I had the same thought: basically, wouldn't EUOL be getting a chuckle out of all our past speculations if Llarimar was really the guy running the show.  I don't think that's likely, based on his behavior in the past chapters, but Llarimar did seem a little weird in this chapter...not as enthusiastic about Lightsong's efforts and trying to get him back to being a "normal" god.

Re: Nightblood and the Manywar, one catch with this is the question of whether Lightsong is seeing the past or the future (if indeed he's seeing either).  It seems to me just as possible that Lightsong was seeing a possible future, the war between Hallendren and Idris, with Nightblood having a key role.

MattD

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 09, 2006, 12:58:55 AM »
Okay, after long being behind, I've caught up.

What strikes me from reading and from discussion in this forum is how adult this book is. Well, the whole sex thing. It's not something you've touched on much in previous books. The noisemaking Siri does is particularly graphic. It presents a clearer picture of what sex supposedly sounds like than I ever had until well beyond age 13.

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Susebron's sexual ignorance also strikes me. Has he not asked Siri what the heck she's been doing making those noises every night? It seems the topic would have come up immediately. I assumed he knew what she was doing, but now I can only ask why he hasn't brought this up earlier. It brings up the passiveness argument from before. I preferred a Susebron who was defiantly sitting there not procreating to one who never even got told what to do. Siri was given very specific instructions; no one told Susebron? They just assumed he knew? Or there's a specific priest who is supposed to tell him things, and the other priests think he is doing his job, but he is deliberately keeping him completely ignorant? I mean I expected that all the priests were deliberately keeping him ignorant, but then if they actually expect him to produce an heir, you'd think they'd tell him how.

Siri's story seemed to move too slowly to me. She seems to spend too many nights uncomfortable before taking action. Susebron's inaction might be explained by him thinking that all they had to do was be in the same room together, but it is also not very satisfying.

It feels like we are still very early in the book, yet I guess it's over halfway through? There seems to be a lot of inaction on all parties' parts. I really enjoyed chapter 27; Lightsong is finally doing something. This feels like the beginning of a story for him, not the halfway point. He was a somewhat entertaining character before, and it takes a while to establish the character of a lazy bum before you can make him getting off his duff out of the ordinary, but it...well, took a while.

The most interesting events seem to focus around Vasher, who doesn't get much screen time.

It's a book I would keep reading to find out how it ends, and I'm confident you've got good stuff in store, but it does seem slow. Of course, some of that could just be from getting only one chapter per week, when you don't even write that slowly.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 12:23:19 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #174 on: October 09, 2006, 02:01:40 AM »
Okay, after long being behind, I've caught up.

What strikes me from reading and from discussion in this forum is how adult this book is. Well, the whole sex thing. It's not something you've touched on much in previous books. The noisemaking Siri does is particularly graphic. It presents a clearer picture of what sex supposedly sounds like than I ever had until well beyond age 13.

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Well EUOL does have a goal to break into every market and now that he's successfully got a book sold to the Young Adult market he's going after the Adult market.  Here's hoping for finally getting a Fabo cover! (inside joke)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 02:02:03 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2006, 01:18:08 PM »

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2006, 11:30:16 PM »
I think the dialog in all the recent chapters has really taken a nice jump forward.  Partly it's that the characters are becoming more active, partly that the story is now giving your writing abilities more room to shine, and partly it's that interesting characters are finally interacting together -- so many of the previous chapters were characters talking and thinking mainly to themselves.  It's true even within the same chapter: Siri by herself, trying and failing to converse with Bluefingers, seems rather unimpressive; Siri and Lightsong together really sparkle.

I'm not sure I buy that nobody before has noticed the pattern of God Kings sacrificing themselves just when an heir is born.  That jumped out at me.  Did the Idris King not notice this before sending his daughter?  Did Vivenna not wonder about it during her studies?  Did the Monks who tutored her not realize?  It's not the kind of thing you can hide, and anyone not of the Hallendren faith would immediately think conspiracy.  It also struck me that the new-and-improved investigative Lightsong didn't pick up on this suspicious pattern.

I'm not sure whether I'm pleased with Siri's unthinking selflessness that she didn't ask what happened to the previous Vessels, or annoyed at her oversight.

Re: Ookla's (Spoookla's?) comments on sexuality...the Siri scenes didn't strike me as any more graphic than, say, a PG-13 movie, or some of Anne McCaffrey's Pern books that you alluded to earlier.  That being said, I do remember reading Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon when I was around 12 or 13 and thinking of the more sexual bits that this was clearly weird adult stuff that I didn't really understand, that made me a little uncomfortable in a pubescent sort of way.

Susebron's sexual ignorance isn't necessarily unbelievable although you do get into nature vs. nurture there in terms of instinct.  It is totally believable for me that he wouldn't confront Siri about what she was doing...initially he wouldn't have had the vocabulary, and also would have assumed that Siri knew what she was doing (that is, that what Siri was doing was how babies were made).  Also, in the beginning he's trying to decide if she's someone he can trust and confide in, and her actions probably confuse him and make him delay approaching her.  At least, that's the sense I got.

It does raise the issue that the listeners are picking up on Siri's sounds of simulated sex but not on her teaching Susebron to read.  Also, did the priests really expect Siri to seduce Susebron and not become aware of his tongueless state?  To "don't ever try to talk to him" they would need to have added, "don't ever try to kiss him or expect him to kiss you."

MattD

(Edited to add paragraphs about sexuality.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 10:40:36 AM by dreamking47 »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2006, 04:10:51 PM »
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/drafts/warbreaker/WarbreakerCh-029-1.0.doc

New chapter.  Just FYI, the last chapter marked about the halfway point in the book.

Thanks, MattD and Ookla, as always.  I like the suggestion about kissing; I think I'll also try to make it less of a 'mystery' that all the previous God Kings gave their lives away at that point.  It can be widely known, I think, but still a surprise to an outsider, if I work it right.

Also, I think the book  probably is a bit slow.  When I draft a novel, I tend to go through and cut about 15% just to keep the pacing up.  I haven't done that for this book, so that will help.  After that, I'll have to look and see if I need to speed anything up plotting-wise.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 04:11:14 PM by EUOL »

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2006, 07:23:55 PM »
Vivenna makes me laugh. She doesn't want to be spoiled and difficult, but by going with her beliefs not to, she is. I bet you're having an extra fun time on this book, Brandon.

-Swiggly
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2006, 03:01:58 PM »
That was a really good chapter.  I liked the dialogue, Vivenna's thoughts all seemed interesting and focused, and there were small subtle developments on many fronts.  I loved the line "It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- in fact, I think I'm going to add it to my signature.

My only criticism here is that there are a few times Denth mentions something mysterious and Vivenna doesn't call him on it.  Denth mentions Vasher and Vivenna doesn't ask, "just who is Vasher?"  Denth mentions Jewels not being interested in Peprin because she has someone else, and Vivenna doesn't ask about that.  In these cases, where there's no reason for Vivenna not to ask these things, I as the Reader am far too aware that you as the Author are holding things back from me.  It jerks me out of the story as a living thing that I'm participating in, and makes me aware that it's a rigged game of someone else's design.  It's not mysterious so much as it is annoying.  The true mysteries are the things the POV characters don't know and have to strive to find out, not the things that they inexplicably haven't bothered to ask about.  So I would suggest either cutting those bits of dialogue, start getting into the answers, or give Vivenna a reason for not asking or Denth a reason for not answering quite yet.

I think the book  probably is a bit slow.  When I draft a novel, I tend to go through and cut about 15% just to keep the pacing up.  I haven't done that for this book, so that will help.  After that, I'll have to look and see if I need to speed anything up plotting-wise.

I think cuts might help the pacing, but also just infusing the previous chapters with more -- of everything -- will help, too.  Show us more about the characters, their characteristics, interests, expectations and goals.  Show us more about the world.  Right now it's difficult to give specifics because I don't know what is supposed to be mysterious (things the POV characters legitimately don't know or would want to keep quiet about) versus what could just use a little more explanation or description (as above, things the characters do know but just haven't gotten around to telling us).  But I can get back to this when you reach the finish.

I had guessed that the story was more at the 2/3 or 3/4 point, so I think it bodes well that there's a whole half of the story left: the recent chapters have all shown an upward trend in terms of interesting events and dialogue.

I think I'll also try to make it less of a 'mystery' that all the previous God Kings gave their lives away at that point.  It can be widely known, I think, but still a surprise to an outsider, if I work it right.

Sure.  Also, does it need to be a surprise?  I've been hesitant to make suggestions or offer specific ideas here for many reasons (it feels presumptuous; I don't know the full story so don't know if anything I suggest would actually work; I don't know if things I might suggest would fit your writing style) which I think results in my posts being predominantly critical.  So here's one idea, that I can elaborate on if you like: how much of Susebron's condition needs to be a surprise for Siri and/or the reader in order for the story to work?

MattD
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 03:39:01 PM by dreamking47 »