Author Topic: If Mistborn was a movie. . . .  (Read 49743 times)

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: If Mistborn was a movie. . . .
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2009, 08:54:06 PM »
Which will, from then on, be cited as the sole reason the entire movie failed.

lemonpsi

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2009, 09:49:12 PM »

I agree, that would be one of the hardest parts... Allomancy is, in the first book, basically nine different powers. And most of them would be incredibly difficult to portray visually. Pewter doesn't have any visual effect, except perhaps in their posture. Iron and steel would probably be the easiest. They might almost have to just have Kelsier explain to Vin, "our powers are based on metals. By burning metals in our stomach, we can strengthen our bodies, influence others' emotions, and push or pull on metals around us." Then they could have some beautiful visuals of super-enhanced jumps by pushing coins into the ground. They wouldn't have time to explain everything--what gold does, the subtleties of bronze, and so on.

Actually, I think Allomancy can be done via colour association. We can have faint auras on the characters when they burn metals. Something like pewter, I envision a purple aura, which doesn't necessarily need to be on the entire time (for the purpose for the movie), but you get an flash of purple when someone is attack or regaining balance etc.

In terms of pushing and pulling, the blue lines would be needed clearly. However, they can single out directions after the Misting chooses a line.

Penny for your thoughts. FYI - I've only read the first book so I don't know if there is more to Allomancy or not.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
This has probably already been brought up, but I think the problem with a Mistborn movie is that all the CGI animated fight scenes would completely overshadow the story (which is pretty good).
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »
I think in order to give the story real credit--length wise, and plot-wise--it would almost have to be a mini-series...but then I think of how well the Sword of Truth mini-series has been going and I think "definitely not" for this. Even a 3-hour long movie wouldn't stay true to the feel of the book, what with both the action AND the story.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2009, 03:40:03 AM »
Well, definitely bits of it would have to be cut. It would be impossible to show everything in the movie; entire plot points might need to be taken out.
Beyond that, however, I firmly believe that a film should be the director's vision, not the author's. Certainly directors should do their best to stay true to the spirit of the book but should also be given free reign. That is the way the best films are made.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2009, 09:11:51 PM »
Vin- Kiera Knightly or Kristen Stewart... only because I always pictured Vin to look a little like her.
Kelsier- Nathan Fillion
Breeze- Russel Crowe
Ham- Daniel Craig
Clubs- Sir Ian Mckellen
Spook- Freddie Highmore
Dox- Paul Giammati
Marsh- Matt Damon
Sazed- Morgan Freeman
TLR- Stewart Townsend
Camon- Paul Bettany
Reen- Rupert Grint

whatchu sink?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:59:45 AM by Valkynphyre »
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Geomantrix

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:10 AM »
Vin could either go in the Summer Glau or Kiera Knightley direction, Glau being more like Vin and Knightly being more like Valette.  Too bad Helena Bonham Carter is not a kid anymore, she could have nailed it both ways.

I can't really think of who would be a good Kelsier.  Tom Cruise has the charisma, but his physique is pretty wrong.  John Travolta is a little too old.  But no accident I'm thinking of the scientologists.  Karl Urban is another thought.  I liked the Nathan Fillion suggestion as well, though it would be weird if he were opposite Glau.

I thought of Elend as a younger Johnny Depp, thinking of a guy who could pull off reading at a ball.  I'm not really up on who would be age appropriate currently. 

Michael Cera as Spook.

Edit:  I just realized who the cover art looks like:  Jennifer Connelly.  But I'm not sure she could pass for 16, and not sure about her acting range either.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:27:01 AM by Geomantrix »

JLVin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2009, 04:26:39 AM »
KELL: John Lennox

He was my theatre professor last semester and he actually told me about Mistborn. He'd be absolutely perfect.  ;D He worked on the indie movie The Model Father and DOG - www.doghorrormovie.com - for some reason I keep reading Mistborn and I keep seeing him as Kell....

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2009, 06:12:33 AM »
I haven't read the thread but I would like to point out that a Mistborn movie would be much darker than the book.  The constant falling ash, the lack of green plants, the sun and sky being the wrong color, all of that would be there constantly instead of mentioned in passing as in the book.  It's easier to forget about the environments described in a book, not so much when you are seeing them.

punker_rocker

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2009, 06:41:03 PM »
Well, I don't really think either of the actresses mentioned would make a good Vin.  Both are too old and too tall.  I dont have any suggestions though, haha.

Skywalkered

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2009, 10:35:18 AM »
For Vin... Emily Browning anyone?
Her face might be a little too feminine for the role but she's small and could pull off Valette pretty good.
(Emily browning: Series of unfortunate events)
I LOVE the Nathan Fillion suggestion. he knows how to play a role like Kell's from playing Mal on Firefly.
Life can be a fairy tale. My life is an Autobiography on the worst seller list.

Oleo

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2009, 01:12:19 AM »
Director: Tim Burton

giggle, giggle, giggle...

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2009, 01:42:16 AM »
i know its not all he does, but when i read that i thought: Mistborn! The Claymation Musical!

Fail.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Skywalkered

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2009, 12:45:13 PM »
What about for director...:  Guillermo del Toro!
he'd do wonders for the inquisitors and Koloss and Kandra.
Life can be a fairy tale. My life is an Autobiography on the worst seller list.

Valamist

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2009, 12:26:24 AM »
What about for director...:  Guillermo del Toro!
he'd do wonders for the inquisitors and Koloss and Kandra.

Oh I so agree! Whould love to see his take on the Terris culture too. Only he and Tim could bring the Mistborn world alive I think  :)

Im not really sure about casting for the main charaters, however I think Kiera Knightley & John Deep whould make a brilliant team as Kel and Vin. One thing I am sure of though, Cett must be played by Brian Blessed!