Author Topic: If Mistborn was a movie. . . .  (Read 49774 times)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: If Mistborn was a movie. . . .
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2008, 05:46:29 PM »
Viggo Mortensen would be perfect for Elend

Cillian Murphy (Scarecrow from the new Batman movies and the star of 28 days Later) would be a great Kelsier

Katie Holmes could make a good Vin I think, but we need someone who looks like they have more emotional scars, like Courtney Cole-Fendley

Eric Roberts for Lord Ruler

Robbie Coltrane for Dox

Oliver Phelps for  Spook

Siddig or Quinto are decent choices for Sazed, I think, though, the person playing Sazed needs to me more "timeless" and better able to play off a eunuch charachter, someone in their mid 40s, early 50s, someone who can pull off "pensive, yet excitable"

Shan would need to be played by Rebecca Romjin, hands down.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2008, 08:09:38 PM »
As much fun as it is to assign big name stars to this, I think I would much rather have a cast of unknowns. (Though I REALLY like the idea of Morgan Freeman as Sazed)

It is much easier for something that is as powerful as Mistborn to have characters whose past work does not influence our interpretation of Brandon's characters.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2008, 03:56:36 AM »
Why are people suggesting actors for Elend who are too dang old? Or are you going back in time to when they were young?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
hmmm, good point book - Viggo is a bit on in years...  the Eledn actor should be, probably around early to mid 20s. Maybe Tom Welling?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »
Joseph Paur would make a good clubs.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2008, 05:01:54 AM »
I think it should be more on the unknowns, myself. Maybe one or two big names, but the budget would go up dramatically every name you added.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2008, 06:59:19 AM »
I like the idea of uknowns, for the most part. Lord of the Rings used an unstained cast and the imagery and personailties they portrayed were strong and pure - and I think the same thing could come along here.  Having Morgan Freeman as Sazed would be awesome and slightly ironic (anyone who's finished MB3 should get why...), and maybe Aaron Eckhart as kelsier... Danny DeVito as Dox - ROFL. Jk.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2008, 08:10:32 AM »
Hmm....let's see.....

Kelsier: Nathan Fillion. He can pull off the suave hero and even looks the part already. A perfect choice, IMO. (Browncoat for life)

Vin: Nicki Aycox. Just dye her hair black and she's a shoo in. Plus she's not too famous.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0043704/

Sazed: Tough call on this one. Morgan Freeman is an excellent choice. If Neal McDonough was a little taller he'd get my vote.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0568180/

Elend:Hmmm... I can't think of anyone at the moment. James McAvoy seems like a decent pick though.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2008, 11:38:54 PM »
Lord of the Rings used an unstained cast and the imagery and personailties they portrayed were strong and pure - and I think the same thing could come along here. 

Lord of the Rings had a quite veteran cast, actually. Liv Tyler, Ian McClellan, Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchart, Sean Astin, john Rhys-Davies, Hugo Weaving, Sean Bean...   not exactly a cast of unknowns, and thats just from the 1st movie.

Dalenthas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2008, 03:06:23 PM »
Lord of the Rings used an unstained cast and the imagery and personailties they portrayed were strong and pure - and I think the same thing could come along here. 

Lord of the Rings had a quite veteran cast, actually. Liv Tyler, Ian McClellan, Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchart, Sean Astin, john Rhys-Davies, Hugo Weaving, Sean Bean...   not exactly a cast of unknowns, and thats just from the 1st movie.

Elijah Wood has been in quite a few things before LotR too...

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
Being "in" things and being a headliner of an actor are two different things. There is a major difference in the amount of press that Angelina Jolie gets from the amount that Elijah Wood gets (for example).

A cast of unknowns doesn't mean green actors. When I saw the LotR for the first time, the only actors I really KNEW were Ian McKellin and John Rhys-Davies. I'd seen Liv Tyler once before, same with Cate Blanchett. However, none were overwhelming action stars, or anything where the type of character they played was so engrained in the social consciousness that it informed the reading of the movie.

Yes, Christopher Lee played a villain, and anyone who knew his work would not be surprised, but Ian Mckellin has been all over the map, so he is not one you can pin down.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2008, 08:26:31 PM »
Still, most if not all of the people mentioned for Mistborn charachters would fit your mold of "a cast of unknowns" then.

Even thouogh I respectfully disagree with you concerning the fact that you still think LotR was full of unknowns. Personally, I knew, and had seen several movies with, most of the main charachters.

Good point about Elijah Wood - he was the star of "Deep Impact", which was a blockbuster and played pretty much the same charachter as he did in LotR. Liv Tyler had starred in an asteroid movie of her own: "Armageddon" - And she played the exact same charachter in LotR as she did there. John Rhys-Davies had played pretty much the same charachter in everything he has ever done, and LotR was no exception.

the key is casting people with the right style as well as look for the part. Peter Jackson is excellent at that, so he would be my pick for director.

Krackitty

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »
Oooo! Yay, speculating about who would be in a Mistborn movie!

Hi, I'm new here. I've visited Brandon's site a few times before and read his blogs and other things, but never signed up for the forums.

I would LOVE to see this made into a movie. I remember being so amazed when I read the first book that I could literally see the "flying" and fight scenes in my head. I've read some reviews that said it was confusing for some people, but I just don't see how. I think he did an excellent job with the action imagery. I've lost count of how many times I've skimmed over action scenes in books because they were either too tedious, or just plain boring. Never have that problem with Brandon Sanderson's books.

I'd say Kate Beckinsale would a great Vin, but she's too old. (Not that she's old, but I don't think she call pull off 16 in the first movie).

Do you think maybe Morgan Freeman's voice would be too deep for a eunuch? ;-P

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »
If it was me doing the casting for a Mistborn movie I'd think I would go with Mila Jovovich for Vin. I think she has been good in all the stuff she has been in and she has a penchant for action flicks. She also has done a good job making the otherworldy fight scenes seem as real as possible. Which she will definately need to do again in a Mistborn movie.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2008, 09:39:22 PM »
Spook: Adam Sevani !