Author Topic: If Mistborn was a movie. . . .  (Read 49578 times)

Jwh

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: If Mistborn was a movie. . . .
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 09:49:53 PM »
The difficult thing about Kels seems to be that he is both charismatic and needs to be able to perform physical acts.  Johnny Depp seems to be more the charismatic and Christan Bale, more the physical.  Can we just mix the two and create some sort of super actor.  I liked the idea of Gary oldman....

As for vin, Kiera Knightly seems pretty good she may be getting a bit old now, but she seems better than any I can think of.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 10:17:24 PM »
Johnny Depp can be physical. The first thing I can remember him being in is 21 Jump Street, but the Pirate's movies, and the movie where he played the psycho writer, sorry the name escapes me at the moment, those are pretty physical and he has done well with those. Not quite up to Christian Bale's standards, but no slouch by any means.

I think I like Natalie Portman over Kiera Knightley for Vin, but that is just a personal preference. The reason I might take Kiera over Natalie though, would be the fact that she is so physical an actress. See King Arthur and the Pirate's movies, she does much of her own fighting and stunts in these movies.

DavidB

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 06:46:13 AM »
The fact that all the good actresses are older than Vin is supposed to be is not that big a deal.

I think Nicholas Cage would make a good Kelsier. He's got the master thief thing down, and nobody would confuse him for Vin's love interest.

Edit: fixed broken link.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 06:47:49 AM by DavidB »

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 10:39:26 AM »
Very true. I don't think anyone could confuse him for a love interest if you used Kiera Knightly, or Natalie Portman.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »
I will denounce any Sanderson movie starring Cage. Really guys, he's not that good.
I want to suggest a young Kevin Kline for Kelsier. Even though he's too old now, Pirates of Penzance showed that he really had what it took for this.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 07:29:36 PM »
I really like the Morgan Freeman for Sazed idea.

As for Kel, I think that it would be interesting to see Wentworth Miller give it a shot.  He might not be the best choice, but he's the best I could come up with.  He could easily do the physical aspects of the part, as well as pull off the scheming and leadership areas.  The charismatic part of the roll would be where the gamble lies.

I think Jennifer Garner could maybe pull off Shan.

Though really, if it was my choice, there wouldn't be any actors to play any of the rolls.  It would be fun to see it on the big screen, but I really think it would be much too difficult to pull off right now.  If you combine the action scenes with all that happens in the plot, it would be too much.  I'd hate to see such a great series chopped up, mixed around and shoved into the big screen format.

I know there are a few larger works that are being made into a series, or mini series, which I think might work for this kind of novel, but we'll just have to wait and see how those turn out.

vadia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 07:10:43 AM »
I think that Summer Glau probably could pull off Vin, most of the others I don't think could do enough of the stunts -- Though maybe it could be done in an oriental film (it has the right type of feel with the pushing and pulling)

Jackie chan could pull off Kelser -- I'd imagine that he'd do amazing stunts -- though he may not be charismatic enough -- I haven't seen him in non-english.

If not Patrick Stewart could probably pull off Sazed quite well.

These parts would be hard to fill without losing a lot with regard to stunts (And the movie would need about an hour of stunts and 5 hours total)

candylion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 07:51:46 PM »
If Christian Bale were to play Kelsier, then imagine him in American Psycho when he's about to kill Jared Leto's character.

"Is that a raincoat?"

"Why yes it is!"

That kind of crazy, but not as murderous, but maybe so, just suppressed and reserved only more nobles.

Summer Glau would be a passable Vin, but I imagine this book with an exotic and eastern feel, and if you cast it like another British movie, then it would be like every other fantasy story...I've had enough with British actors in fantasy movies. Although the accent is fine, get some diversity.

Elend would have to be a young, dashing type. I have to read the book descriptions again to get an idea for Dox, Ham, and Breeze...one of them is portly. But for some odd reason Jeremy Irons popped into my head for Clubs, just because of his indifferent and sullen behavior.

Yeden has to be downright idiotic and annoying, and even bitter.

Then again, current actors could never measure up to the characters, maybe they should just find someone new for some of the parts.
IS TAKING COMMISSIONS!...I <3 any art so click on and send me a message. I'll probably draw it.

fattylumpkin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • www.artbykimkincaid.com
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2007, 04:47:57 AM »
The one person I could see playing Kelsier is Nathan Fillion...Mal of Serenity and Firefly.  He can be both humorous and dangerous, with the charisma and intelligence needed to hold the team together. He even has that crooked smile that's so disarming.
"Belief isn't simply a thing for fair times and bright days, I think. What is belief~what is faith~if you don't continue in it after failure?"
~Sazed, Mistborn

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
Oh, I love the idea of Nathan Fillion!  I think that's the best Kel suggestion I've heard so far.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »
You know, I think we may have a winner.  Assuming he could pull of suave and wry instead of rough-edged and wry (as Mal was.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Ararana

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27:51 AM »
Haha, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks Nathan Fillion would make a great Kell!

I just finished MB1 last night (this being my first post here), and let me just say these books are freakin' amazing! Right up there with Robert Jordan's work IMO.

But anywho, my vote for Nathan Fillion. I can just see him hitting the wink Kell gives everyone right on the bullseye.

urbmd

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 01:20:09 AM »
You are absolutely right.  Nathan Fillian from Firefly would be a great Kelsier.  Mal's  personality was how I envisioned Kel, and the appearance would work.

Summer Glau was how I pictured Vin all through the books.

Now I need to think up an Elend.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2008, 02:15:48 AM »
Nathan Fillion is now my favorite for Kelsier. candylion's comment about Yeden got me to thinking, though, and I remembered that I pictured Yeden as looking a lot like this.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0740264/
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2008, 06:48:03 AM »
I like the Nathan Fillion idea. Since IMO Kel's character would need to be pretty hot. You know, like in an Aragorn sort of way...

I liked Summer Glau for Vin.

Orlando Bloom did a pretty good job of being the quiet back of the scene guy in the beginning of the first Pirates... Or is he just to good looking for Elend? not that Elend shouldn't be, but I see Kel as the better looking of the two. 'Course I'm really into the 'dark, dangerous guy' in the story.

Aragorn
Sirius Black
Silk
Kel (actually I think I might like Marsh more... pre-infiltration)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:49:58 AM by charity »