Author Topic: If Mistborn was a movie. . . .  (Read 49579 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: If Mistborn was a movie. . . .
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 02:26:17 PM »
Gemm should play spook.
After all, the character was based on him.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 04:14:36 PM »
Johnny Depp as Khelsier is hilarious, and I think I like the idea of Joaquin Phoenix as the Lord Ruler better than him as Elend.  But then who should be Elend?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 04:30:30 PM »
I vote for Christopher Walken as the Lord Ruler.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 04:42:38 PM »
Gemm should play spook.

No, Gemm should get to determine who plays Spook. That can be his right. We wouldn't want Gemm's lack of acting skills to ruin the movie.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 11:54:45 PM »
I talked about this with my writing group.  What about the girl from Series of Unfortunate Events (Emily Browning) for Vin?  She's young enough and waif-like enough.  And how about Gary Oldman for Kelsier?  Tom Cruise was also suggested, but I think the problem with Tom Cruise is I can't separate his roles from himself.  When I see him in movies now, I just think of him jumping on Oprah's couch.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 05:00:39 AM »
Morgan Freeman would be great as Sazed, I think. I don't know how old Sazed was supposed to be, but he's the only actor I can think of that would match Sazed's personality well.

Edit: For Spook, Elijah Wood might make a good match.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:39:28 AM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 05:16:00 AM »
Morgan Freeman would get the right feel. As for me, Erick Avari is perhaps more physically what I imagine for Sazeed.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 04:05:18 PM »
Gemm should play spook.
No, Gemm should get to determine who plays Spook. That can be his right. We wouldn't want Gemm's lack of acting skills to ruin the movie.  ;)
You haven't even seen him act! How can you pass such judgement?!
I think Gemm could pull it off.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 05:35:56 PM »
I heartily endorse the "Gemm for Spook" campaign. Because Gemm is truly outrageous.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 11:22:26 PM »
I don't know; I think it would be pretty hilarious to see Elijah go from a high profile character as Frodo, to Spook, and be almost completly ignored, and when not, spoken of disparagingly.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 10:28:57 PM »
Should Marsh and Kelsier look similar?  I know Marsh is not in a lot of scenes but they are important ones.

Will Reen be seen in flashbacks?  If you include him in the movie and use Summer Glau for Vin then it would be great to have Sean Mahler(Simon) as Reen.

What about DeMoux?  Ham?

And for some crazy reason I think Alan Rickman should be included in the cast.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 07:43:55 AM »
I can get behind Alan Rickman being in the cast. He could be the Lord Ruler, but I also see him as playing the Lord that takes Vin in as a pretend scion to his house. (Name escapes me for the moment.)

If you don't cast Alan Rickman as the Lord Ruler, would it be too cliche to cast Gary Oldman as the old/middle-aged Lord Ruler? Or Ben Kingsley (if you have seen him in Sexy Beast, you would know why) Or....wait, why didn't I think of this before? IAN McSHANE! (He can do EVIL really really really well. He's best known for playing Al Swearengen in Deadwood or Lovejoy in the Lovejoy Mysteries.)

Kelsier - Possibly Bruce Willis. Or Hugh Jackman. Or Mandy Patinkin. (Refer to Dead Like Me for a taste of his character, Rube, as a much older guy taking a younger girl under his wing and showing her the ropes.)

Vin - Natalie Portman (Girl looks good with a shaved head and scruffy looks.) or Parminder Nagra (Bend It Like Beckham) or Kiera Knightley

Elend - Orlando Bloom or Oliver Hudson (although Oliver solely on looks, I don't know if he can act)

Breeze - Stephen Fry.  And if we can work in Hugh Laurie as one of the others on the team....so much the better.
.she.sings.from.somewhere.you.can't.see.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2006, 05:58:02 AM »
Okey dokey, here's my two cents on casting if Mistborn were to reach the silver screen:

Unsinkable VIN: Summer Glau!! Or Natalie Portman.

ELEND: Orlando Bloom (woowoo!) or, get this, Corbin Allred who played "Deacon" in Saints and Soldiers.

KELSIER, the Survivor of Hathsin: Depp, Jackman, or Adrien Brody. They're all capable of playing quirky yet darkly mesmerizing characters with energy to burn. I'd have to pass on Patinkin though. He doesn't strike me as spry or charismatic enough any more. He's also kinda too oldish imo.

Grave, formidable MARSH: How about Russell Crowe for Marsh! Crowe would be great in this part, I think. Another option could be Keifer Sutherland for Marsh. Now *he* would make an excellent Inquisitor.

Good ol' SAZED: The very versatile and dignified Eric Stoltz. Maybe Jim Caviezel or Paul Bettany even.

The efficient DOX: Peter Holden (Sargeant Gunderson from "Saints and Soldiers" among many other roles). Or Sean Astin.

The thinking Thug, HAM: Adam Baldwin (oooh yeah) or Alan Tudyk (if he bulks up a bit). ;D

Smooth-talking BREEZE: Dan Aykroyd (no, really!). But even better would be Anthony LaPaglia from "Without a Trace" and other stuff.

The ruthless LORD RULER: Willem Dafoe. But I also like the idea of Alan Rickman in this role (but not as Lord Renoux). Another excellent choice could be Michael Douglas.

Lord RENOUX: none other than Sir Ian McKellen.

Poor timid SPOOK: A skinny Haley Joel Osment. Or Rory Culkin.

Grumpy (and Gimpy) CLUBS: Anthony Hopkins or Alan Rickman(with the help of some “uglifying” makeup).

Stunning and cunning SHAN ELARIEL: Me of course. ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 07:18:33 AM by 78 Tiny Shraindeer »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 05:44:41 PM »
Breeze - Stephen Fry.  And if we can work in Hugh Laurie as one of the others on the team....so much the better.

Execellent!   But why not have Stephen Fry be Sazed and Hugh Laurie be Vin?   . . . no that wouldn't work, would it.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

WOWKING32

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »
keira knightley would make a good Vin i think. if she could pull of being 17.  as for the lord ruler i could see the the huge white guy from rocky 4.  that would be sick