Local Authors > Robison E. Wells

Deseret Book vs. Seagull Book

<< < (2/9) > >>

Skar:
Firemeboy, forgive me for being cynical but...

Did you not realize that honest business practices do not apply to organizations affiliated with THE CHURCH.  Such things as apply only to mortal organizations.

Sometime I'll have to tell you about the Signature Card scam at BYU.

Firemeboy:
:)

Skar, you are right.  I forget that DB is the one true and living bookstore.  And all other bookstores are an abomination before Sheri Dew.  All you have to do is walk into a DB and smell the bread, and you know that they must be the true bookstore.

This practice isn't a dirty, underhanded tactic.  It's more like proselyting.  They're simply trying to save the poor souls who shop at the bookstore of the devil.

:)

The reason this perturbs me is that if this does affect Seagull, then Covenant will also be affected.  And if Covenant is affected, then my second book will likely never see the light of day.

Of course there is always Bookcraft...  

Oh wait.

stacer:
Here's my problem with this idiotic idea: Sure, any Utahn who doesn't find what they're looking for in one store can go to another. But what if a customer in Seattle wants a book published by Covenant? The only game in town is the Deseret Book up by the temple. That means that person either has to online/mail order, or they don't get the book, because the products are so dissimilar as to be completely irrelevant. If I want to buy a Robison Wells book, a nonfiction DB title isn't going to do the trick.

This is what happens when publishers and bookstores collide. A bookstore should have a completely different agenda than a publisher, and a publisher shouldn't run a bookstore.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
you crazy Utahns.
There are people who buy church books based on brand? Because, out here, I have *never* heard that view espoused. Maybe we're just cut off from the main body of the Church to realize our salvation is in the hands of a publisher. Or maybe we just realize that when the Lord said to gain wisdom out of the best books he didn't mean that those books were only written by members of the Church.

42:
I see this actually cutting down on the potential success of Mormon fiction writers if all they can do is sell through either Deseret Book or Seagull and not take advantage of both.

Unless, mainstream publishers decide they want to start selling explicitely Mormon fiction. Which I don't see happening anytime in the near future.

Course, this could backfire on DB, with fewer authors submitting manuscripts to them since they would have a smaller venue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version