Author Topic: 500 greatest albums  (Read 15809 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: 500 greatest albums
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2003, 02:13:50 PM »
eh, "favorite albums" isn't terribly helpful to me.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2003, 02:16:54 PM »
Oh, argh this will be hard, but I'll survive.  Mind you this is the list of my personal favorite albums of all time, as in I think the album as a whole is a masterpiece.

1.  Moby- Play
2.  Live - V
3.  Gorillaz -  Gorillaz
4.  Remy Shand - The Way I feel
5.  Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
6.  INXS - Kick
7.  Enigma - MCMXC ( although Screen Behind the Mirror is up there)
8.  Propellerheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
9.  No Doubt - Return of Saturn
10. TMBG - No!

Oh- I left soundtracks of here though.  There are few soundtracks I think should be venerated
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2003, 02:17:34 PM »
Dan, post whatever you want.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2003, 05:57:19 PM »
Publicity machine? Do you even know who Al Stewart is? Or Travis for that matter? ::)

But, yeah. What she said.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2003, 06:07:03 PM »
Hum.  I think I missed Moby--Play should be on my list.  And, I was going for greatest albums, not necessarily favorites.  The difference being that certain albums, as a whole, feel like a work of art.  Bat out of Hell is an example--while only one of the songs really stands out to me, the entire album is a masterpiece.

Oh, and on the greatest hits thing, that's why I was curious about the whole 'studio album' distinction.  There's also, in my opinion, a difference between a 'greatest hits' album and a 'live' album.  S&M is a live symphonic version of Metallica's best songs--but it is a cohesive album, not simply a compilation from many different sources.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 06:09:31 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2003, 06:18:22 PM »
There are a whole a mess of greatest hits albums on the top 500, so don't worry about it.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2003, 06:37:23 PM »
MoD, I was referring to John Mayer, Norah Jones, No Doubt, Vertical Horizon, and Barenaked Ladies. That's half your list.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2003, 01:51:14 AM »
I agree with you Fell on all counts, except Norah Jones.  That is some legitimately high quality music.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2003, 12:34:02 PM »
/me shrugs

Okay, fair enough. However, I dispute the insinuation that just because they were publized means they didn't make good music.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2003, 01:09:51 PM »
yeah, I personally don't think the "publicity machine" aspersion is a valid complaint. Both BNL and Mayer do some nice work, regardless of how advertised they are. Perhaps they're just advertised so much because they're popular, so the company wants to increase their sales even more.

This is why I usually don't talk about music. It's REALLY hard for me not to crap on everyone else's choices. I'm very opinionated on it, and I think a lot of other people's opinions are poorly made and frankly, poop.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2003, 01:23:41 PM »
That's ok Saint, I tend to react that way too.

That's why we should just talk about the music that we *do* agree is good.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2003, 02:22:40 PM »
I also tend to get very snippy about declarations of musical greatness (as you can tell). I apologize if I have offended. My complaint is not that the groups on MoDs list are bad, just that they're nowhere near a "best of all time" list (in my opinion). I suppose I just get suspicious when I see so much recent music, and my first assumption is "oh, this person just picks whatever's popular right now instead of really thinking about it," which is an unfair assumption to make. But hey, Stunt is awesome and Norah Jones is great, so I'll shut up and let people have their opinions.

While we're on the subject, here's my top ten list:
1: Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, by the Beatles. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
2: Abbey Road, by the Beatles. Oddly, this is the only Beatles album I own. My others have all been loaned out and lost.
3: Nevermind, by Nirvana. Completely revolutionary. Maybe I'm just thankful that it finally killed the 80s.
4: Simon and Garfunkel, Greatest Hits. Not a single song on this album is less than a classic.
5: Rubber Soul, by the Beatles. No, I'm not just picking every Beatles album I know. It's really that good.
6: Revolver, by the Beatles. Okay, maybe I have some bias Beatleward.
7: Thriller, by Michael Jackson. Thriller could get on this list as a single, but the album also has Beat It and Billie Jean.
8: Graceland, by Paul Simon. Possibly the best poet of the modern world, let alone the best songwriter.
9: Hot Rocks 1964-1971, by the Rolling Stones. The best of the Stones during their very best years. Even if you don't think you know any Stones songs, I bet you could sing along with half the tracks in this set.
10: The Joshua Tree, by U2. I'm not even a huge fan of U2, but I know good music when I hear it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2003, 02:24:32 PM »
And I'll make Play, by Moby, number 11. Just to show that we all agree on something--Moby's awesome.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2003, 04:14:14 PM »
No offense taken. And your right, I didn't try and find "greatest albums". I just tried to put albums on there that I don't get tired of if I've listened to them 20 times (which is my definition of a great album). I'm too lazy to try and mentally go through the 300 some albulms I have ever heard in my life and try to classify what is truely "great".

And personally, I think Allan Sherman is more enjoyable than the Beatles, but I think that's the anti-establishment in me.

Yes. Moby is wonderful.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2003, 01:02:28 PM »
I can't believe I forgot Renaissance and the Moody Blues.