Departments > Music

500 greatest albums

(1/12) > >>

House of Mustard:
Rolling Stone has come out with a listing of the 500 greatest albums of all time.  Not surprisingly, 4 of the top 10 are the Beatles.

http://www.rhino.com/rs500/index.lasso

Personally, however, I think that Abbey Road should top the list.  I also think there should be a heckuva lot less Bob Dylan in the top 50.

Fellfrosch:
I agree. How far down the list is Abbey Road, anyway? And when will people stop thinking Bob Dylan is amazing? You could fill both of his slots with Paul Simon. It's kind of depressing that the Beach Boys are so high on the list, but you've got to admit that they deserve it. Even if they are stupid.

Ah, Abbey Road is #14. And Nirvana is 17. I'd just like to point out, if anyone's interested, that all of these Beatles albums would make excellent christmas presents to your illustrious editor.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
first our illustrious editor will have to re-embowel himself after he ninjas get to him for that comment about Bob Dylan. You grudgingly admit that the BEACH BOYS deserve greatness in the same breath as you trash the Dylan-meister? I have two words for you:

You Suck

But seriously, you must not realize exactly how many songs, considered standards and covered repeatedly, were written by that man. Sure you probably know All Along the Watchtower was his (alone deserving greatness; yes you can say Hendrix made it great, and you'd be right, but Hendrix wouldn't have done it if it werent' for Dylan). How about half the songs the Byrds did? How about Knockin' on Heaven's door. How about the influence he and George Harrison had on each other? How about the influence he had on Eric Clapton? Should I go on?

Fellfrosch:
I don't count songs that other people made famous--if we did, we'd have to put Prince in the top ten, and that frightens me. And yes, Bob Dylan used to be amazing--I suppose I'm mostly griping about how people still think he produces quality owrk, which he hasn't done for decades.

House of Mustard:
Is that the same All Along the Watchtower that Dave Matthews sings?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version