Author Topic: Heavy Metal  (Read 4161 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2003, 07:10:58 AM »
Whatever, I think you guys are reading a little too much into some things I said and too little into others.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2003, 07:35:08 AM »
I dunno what you think we haven't read. You said metal was emotionally stunted and meaningless. You also implied that it's main appeal was to 14-15 year olds for vacuous reasons. You didn't say anything else about heavy metal itself. What else were we supposed to read into?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2003, 08:40:18 AM »
Well it is targeted at that age group, the whole industry claims it is so Im not sure why thats a debateable point at all. Sure a lot of folks who like other types of music also like heavy metal. With a few exceptions however heavy metal is not complex, I mean lets face it the average metal guitarist is no Segovia. That being said yes some players like Joe Satriani and bands like Metallica can trancend the medium to produce something more than mass produced pap. Talent never featured into my equation, and honestly Eric for every 1 Metallica there are 500 WhiteSnakes and Wingers and Warrents. But Metallica I think has become more mainstream, less Heavy Metal and more hard Rock in the last 20 years. When I think of them I think of more classic rock bands than anything else. When I think of Metal I think Kiss. Theatrical, visceral and not very smart.
I never claimed I didn't like it though, I just dont think it has a lot of musical value. Now theatrical value is a different story. Metal has got to be the most theatrical Rock style going live, big sets, pyrotechnics, and lots of crowd interaction.... Metal is theater on a grand scale.

I personally dont include Jimmy Hendrix, the Who and the Kinks as metal. Other people do.
Maybe the fault lies in the fact that there really is no such thing as metal, or that catagorizing music doesnt really work. I dont know.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2003, 09:21:43 AM »
1) Satriani isn't metal. No. He isn't.
2) Where are you getting statements that metal is targetted mainly to 14-15 year olds?
3) For ever segovia there are 500 Britney Spears. Yes, it is the same argument. 95% (at least) in any genre is crap, so the fact that there are more bad metal bands than good ones doesn't change the potential for the medium.
4) I don't know anyone who considers the Kinks metal. For one thing, there are only 3 or 4 of their songs than even come close, and they, as I said, only come close. Sure, the shredding of "You Really Got Me" is an influence later down the line, but more on punk than metal.
5) Your "when I think of metal" is a really bad road to go down. The average person would say "When I think of D&D I think of socially incapable dorks." They won't even understand other role playing unless you make the D&D comparison. Or "when I think of science fiction I think of nerds and ridiculous premises and crappy writing." Again, yeah, in 95% of the cases, sci fi is bad. But the same is true of romance, westerns, spy novels, crime fiction, and anything else. That doesn't mean ALL sf is bad, or that sf itself is bad.

edit: I thought about this, and by the terms EUOL and I talked about, yes, Satriani is metal. He's done a few songs that are definitely metal. However, most of his songs are not metal.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 09:28:51 AM by SaintEhlers »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2003, 10:38:04 AM »
2. Every behind the music ever made about heavy metal bands. You know the ones with someone like Slash or Ozzie saying something to the effect of "our fans were like 14 and 15 year old guys and 18 year old chicks.

But they are all geeks ;D
"when I think of metal" would be a bad line to go down if the initial question hadn't been  "Really, what's the difference between metal and hard rock?  I mean, is it just in the attitude?" but since it seems to be asking what my opinion is, I answered using my opinion.

I will say however its interesting that every industry site I went to doesn't have a Heavy Metal Catagory anymore... heck they dont even have a classic rock catagory anymore.... creepy...
This raises an interesting issue however, does heavy metal even exist anymore according to the industry.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 11:08:52 AM by ElJeffe »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2003, 12:22:57 PM »
Metal rules. But the fact that my brand new PoD album hangs 2 minutes into song 6 sucks.

And it is interesting on the Metal/Classical crossover. Both me and Tom, a friend of mine, listen to both genres a lot. Though he likes the screamer songs (like a lot of Spineshank) while i don't. I always assumed i picked up classical from my parents putting Classical FM on the radio during long car journies, but maybe there is more to it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 12:23:21 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2003, 12:43:57 PM »
I don't think so pre-deterministically, though I do think such a statistical similarity means some OTHER underlying similarity between the genres.