Author Topic: Heavy Metal  (Read 3556 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Heavy Metal
« on: December 12, 2003, 05:36:43 PM »
SE and my discussion about the origins of the genre has got me thinking.  Really, what's the difference between metal and hard rock?  I mean, is it just in the attitude?  What separates Metallica from, say, Foo Fighters (whom I've often heard refered to as 'Hard Rock')?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 05:46:39 PM »
And then what separates metal from industrial? My husband claims it's distortion that makes industrial, but I don't think it's that easy.

I would say metal is ... heavier on guitars?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 06:07:02 PM »
My only practical knowledge of Industrial comes from NIN.  Though I avoid Trent Resnor whenever possible, I have (unfortunately) been forced to listen to some NIN.  Therefore, I view Industrial as a kind of evil techno/rock mix.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 06:23:41 PM »
NIN, (according to industrial fans) is not in any way a good sample of what industrial music is like.  It is mainstream also (gasp horror) and is considered by to be about as industrial as something like the Spin Doctors would be considered hard rock.

Try some Chemlab or some Pop Will Eat Itself, both of which I have been very impressed with.  My husband's favorite band is Sister Machine Gun, which is ok, but is not musical enough for me (I need music that I can sing along with).  You might like some of it, I think PWEI is brilliant music.  Could easily lend you some CDs since I married into a whole lot of music...

But techno/rock is a good description of it I think.  But it's not necessarily evil, it's just dear Trent that's evil.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 06:27:54 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 07:03:44 PM »
what about Rob Zombie? Is he industrial?

I've always thought of Industrial as like the heavy metal of techno.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 07:06:28 PM »
No, Rob Zombie is just heavy metal.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 07:10:52 PM »
so what's the definition then? he's got lots of programmed repetitive sequences featured, it's much more beat driven than say, Megadeath or Metallica. What's the definition of industrial?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 07:28:52 PM »
Not Rob Zombie.

Here's what allmusic.com has to say about it.  I respect their opinons on almost all things musical.

The most abrasive and aggressive fusion of rock and electronic music, industrial was initially a blend of avant-garde electronics experiments (tape music, musique concrète, white noise, synthesizers, sequencers, etc.) and punk provocation. As industrial evolved, its avant-garde influences became far less important than its pounding, relentless, jackhammer beats, which helped transform it into a darker alternative to the hedonism of mainstream dance music.

Industrial's trademark sound was harsh and menacing, but its rage was subordinate to the intentionally mechanical, numbingly repetitive qualities of the music, which fit the lyrics' themes of alienation and dehumanization quite well. In the early '90s, Ministry and Nine Inch Nails took their variations on industrial to wider alt-rock and metal audiences, but a substantial number of industrial artists chose to remain underground. The first group of industrial bands; England's Throbbing Gristle and Cabaret Voltaire, and Germany's Einsturzende Neubauten; were initially as much about beyond-edgy performance art as they were music. The second generation of industrial artists; including Skinny Puppy, Front 242, and Nitzer Ebb; added pummeling dance beats to their predecessors' confrontational sounds, for a substyle often referred to as electronic body music (centered aroundlabels like Wax Trax). Meanwhile, bands like Ministry and KMFDM added metal-guitar riffs, which helped Ministry break through to a wider audience in the late '80s and early '90s; similarly, Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor added more traditional song structures, and made his own persona the focal point, giving the music a rare human presence and becoming a star in the process. This more widely appealing strain of industrial continued to influence alternative metal throughout the '90s. Still, after industrial metal began to fade, a near-exclusively electronic form of industrial dance continued to thrive as an uncompromisingly underground style, with many artists coming from the U.S. and Germany.

Part of it is the 'underground' quality, which is why a lot of industrial fans deny NIN.  Much the same as the way punk fanatics will deny anything that has gone mainstream.

Contrastingly, this is what they say about heavy metal

Of all rock & roll's myriad forms, heavy metal is the most extreme in terms of volume, machismo, and theatricality. There are numerous stylistic variations on heavy metal's core sound, but they're all tied together by a reliance on loud, distorted guitars (usually playing repeated riffs) and simple, pounding rhythms. Heavy metal has been controversial nearly throughout its existence; critics traditionally dismissed the music as riddled with over-the-top adolescent theatrics, and conservative groups have often protested what they perceive as evil lyrical content. Still, despite, or perhaps because of, those difficulties, heavy metal has become one of the most consistently popular forms of rock music ever created, able to adapt to the times yet keep its core appeal intact. For all its status as America's rebellion soundtrack of choice, heavy metal was largely a British creation. The first seeds of heavy metal were sown in the British blues movement of the '60s, specifically among bands who found it hard to adjust to the natural swing of American blues. The rhythms became more squared-off, and the amplified electric instruments became more important, especially with the innovations of artists like the Kinks, the Who, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and the Jeff Beck Group. Arguably the first true metal band, however, was Led Zeppelin.

Thrashers like Metallica and Megadeth built rabid cult followings that pushed them into the mainstream around the same time that grunge wiped pop-metal off the charts. Mainstream metal in the '90s centered around a new hybrid called alternative metal, which (in its most commercially potent form) combined grinding thrash and grunge influences with hip-hop and industrial flourishes, though it broke with metal's past in downplaying the importance of memorable riffs. Meanwhile, the underground grew harsher and bleaker, producing two similar, thrash-derived styles known as death metal and black metal, which produced some of the most abrasive, intense, hyperspeed music and graphic shock tactics the metal world had yet witnessed.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 07:31:33 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 12:06:48 AM »
eh. Sorry, the Ramones are still punk, even if they do get played a lot on alternative radio. You're saying that the ONLY thing separating Rob Zombie and NIN from industrial is the fact that they're popular, Which means technically (as in the technical nuances of the music) they're identical. It's like saying that Star Trek isn't SF because it's not written like Gernsback would have done it, or even Asimov.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 01:56:39 AM »
No, I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that  NIN is industrial but it's not what industrial music is really like.

And Rob Zombie isn't industrial at all- it has nothing to do with his popularity.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 09:22:39 AM »
On the whole Heavy metal is kind of like the Gangsta rap of Rock and Roll, its super hormone charged emotionally stunted, usless meaningless music. (which is not to say it isn't good, or even to say it doesn't have value on a visceral leval) It deals with themes a 14 or 15 year old boy's going to find intensely cool for no real reason other than to be intensly cool.

But I dont know if your examples are really that good.
Do you mean to describe Metaliica as the Metal band or the Foo Fighters?
In my mind neither are, although metallica has a little better claim to that title than FU.

And what about Grunge? It may be dead, but some examples like Nirvanna spawned a whole new generation of cover bands that arn't Rock or Metal, but something in between.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2003, 03:07:53 PM »
I have to agree with SE, fuzzy: the description you posted of Industrial music would include Rob Zombie, if taken literally.

And as for Jeffe's description of Metal, I have to disagree. It sounds too much like my mother-in-law's "it's not real music" argument.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003, 03:20:43 PM »
Yeah, there are many many heavy metal bands that are INCREDIBLY talented and show it in their music. That's hardly a waste of time. I don't know why you think Metallica isn't heavy metal either, they essentially redefined the genre, but while that means they are different, it also means that at the core they're IN that genre. It's like saying the Beatles aren't rock because they changed what rock meant.

Also, you should note that your concept of 14 or 15 year old boys liking metal (implying that they're the primary target audience) is pretty off. Heavy metal listeners are more likely to also like concert music (classical, baroque, opera, etc) than most other types of music. Concert music listeners and heavy metal listeners have a huge crossover demographic, which is why it's actually surprising that something like S&M hasn't been done a LOT by now. I don't have numbers on the demographics, but I'd wager there are much more metal heads in their 20s and 30s than in their early teens (speaking proportionately, as well as total). THis is not to say that metal doesnt' appeal to young teens, but labeling that the primary market or demographic shows a misunderstanding of what heavy metal does both stylistically and technically.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2003, 03:26:39 PM »
I think it's the emphasis on the oppressive guitar beats that differentiates metal from hard rock.  That's why I'd put Metallica in but Foo Fighters and Creed not in.  However, by that distinction, certain songs would be metal when others wouldn't.

A good example would be Evanescence (part of what started this thread, as I was arguing with Sprig about Evanescane vs Foo Fighters.)  Anyway, Evanescence has a couple songs on their album I'd call metal, but many I wouldn't.  By the same token, many of the metallica balads wouldn't be metal--only their harder songs.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2003, 03:34:38 PM »
I don't have a problem with some songs by a band being metal and others not. In fact, that's what makes sense. You play some ballads, you play some metal, you play some punk, whatever. You could define a band being metal or not by the predominance (or lack thereof) of metal songs in their repretoir, or even by the songs that make them notable. Though I'm a fan of a third method: You're a metal band if you compose metal. That means you can be metal and punk and whatever else, all at the same time. Like mozart composed some opera, so he was an operettist (or whatever the handy term is). But he wasn't exclusively one, as he did much else.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 03:36:55 PM by SaintEhlers »