Author Topic: cool covers or remixes  (Read 9106 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: cool covers or remixes
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2004, 03:42:55 AM »
well that's something you'll have to deal with Fuzzy, but stealing is stealing no matter how you try and rationalize it.  When I die, this isn't somehting I'm going to have to worry about. Downloading music isn't bad, as long as you pay for it.

Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2004, 07:32:09 AM »
we make things illegal so we can either make money by fines or get people out of the way by putting them in jail. Increasing penalties usually does not change crime rates unless we make the punishment so harsh people start to believe it's violating the "cruel and unusual" charge.

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2004, 07:39:00 AM »
My friend just burned me a copy. I'm pretty sure he ordered it from that website. He's not very big on the file sharing thing.

My reasons to stop downloading music are that most the bands I was downloading from were bands on Indie labels, and they normally sell their cd's for like 5 bucks. I figured that for the most part, they need the income from cd's to keep going,
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2004, 07:53:33 AM »
we make things illegal so we can either make money by fines or get people out of the way by putting them in jail. Increasing penalties usually does not change crime rates unless we make the punishment so harsh people start to believe it's violating the "cruel and unusual" charge.

wow, I don't even know where to start.  But just saying your full of it realy dosen't do it here.  But I don't have a lot of time for a reply so I'll just say, with all due respect ,SE, you're ethier ignorent or delusonal.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2004, 10:24:01 AM »
perhaps it doesn't cut it because it really doesn't contribute to the argument. In that it neither upholds your own argument or does anything to attack the other argument, but instead reduces the discussion to trading insults.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2004, 10:30:07 AM »
70% of people parolled or released from prison will be back in prison in less than 2 years. Thats a fact. A sad fact, but a fact. So if punishment is meant to curtail the behavior that put them in in the first place then its failing miserably.
Sprig (about to pull out a debate grenade here) is the death penalty a real deterant? Does it stop people from commiting capital crimes?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2004, 10:57:11 AM »
additional evidence: Prohibition. It didn't work. We provided penalties for consumption and sale of alcohol. it just gave rise to all new sorts of crime areas.
The war on drugs: penalties get stiffer and the drug rate has not significantly dropped. In fact, in many areas it's risen.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2004, 11:47:04 AM »
well that's something you'll have to deal with Fuzzy, but stealing is stealing no matter how you try and rationalize it.  When I die, this isn't somehting I'm going to have to worry about. Downloading music isn't bad, as long as you pay for it.

Aww, that's sweet Sprig. I haven't been told I was going to hell since high school.  I don't have much to say in response to this that doesn't rely on personal insults, so I'll just leave it at that:  Awww.  It's so sweet of you to be worried about the state of my soul.  That's really a much better motivation than being worried that I'm potentially depriving multi-millionaires of a few bucks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 11:58:38 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2004, 12:20:23 PM »
I too do not respond well to being told Im going to hell, or being "evil"
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2004, 04:13:22 PM »
Fuzzy, that Droplift project sounds fun. Wouldn't you just love to be in the store to watch a cashier try to figure out how to charge for it?

Spring, I'm interested in your opinions on how such crimes can be tracked and proven, if the government is really doing such a bad job.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2004, 04:42:13 PM »
I'm sorry, but no- downloading music isn't the same as shoplifting, Sprig

I'm going to try and agree with my brother without being as offensive as he is.  (Knowing him, that shouldn't be too hard....)

Anyway, I do see the two as the same.  Both have been proscribed by law as 'illegal.'  I think that's kind of what SE was saying--we define it as illegal and give it a punishment, so that's why you shouldn't do it.

What is the difference between taking the CD from the store and burning a copy?  Well, I guess you're ripping off fewer people--since your aren't really violating the store's rights.  I guess in that sense it really would be 'less-illegal' to download music than to shoplift a CD.

Is it different to take money from rich people than it would be to take it from a regular person?  Fuzzy seems to imply that she thinks it is.  Some think that it's okay to steal from the rich, since they have enough already.  This thinking does have a grand and noble tradition in western society, and perhaps it has some moral groundwork, but I personally still believe it's wrong.  

The thing is, people should have the right under our laws to say whether or not you can have access to something they've produced.  I agree that the musicians are stupid, and think that I would buy more CD's through previewing them.  However, I didn't make the music--the artists did.  And if they want to tell you not to download it, I think it is more ethical to respect their opinion and their legal rights.

That's why I say go download indy music and let the big guys learn that they should work with us, not against us.  

Now, this doesn't even cover the 'grey album' issue, since it is an established fact that our laws allow reinterpretation of existing art to stand as its own artistic creation.  It is legal, for instance, to take pictures from magazines and cut them up and make a new piece of art out of them.  It is also legal to sit down and draw some piece of art, and then have that drawing be your own legal and copyrighted creation.   I consider the overclocked remixes to fall under this category.

Last I heard, the Grey Album was suffering from 'cease and desist' orders from the original copyright owners, but the case itself had not gone to court.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 04:46:33 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2004, 05:20:14 PM »
yeah, note, I'm not arguing about the legality of it. Though that's major ball of wax. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the idea of the strictness of some laws (not necessarily the ones at issue here) and how moral "civil disobedience" is. Not what I wanted to talk about here, but I thought I'd mention why I'm NOT talking about legality.

What I'm saying is that punishment for crimes is just that. Punishment. You do the crime, you do the time. It's a very poor deterrant (There's an $200 fine for speeding on Sydenstricker Rd in my area, that's on TOP of normal speeding fines... the Speed limit is 30, and I'm never below 40, and usually closer to 50. It's done little to disuade me from speeding) and an even poorer re-educator.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2004, 05:27:58 PM »
EUOL - note that I did NOT say that downloading music was not illegal.

What I said was that it was not the same thing as shoplifiting, which everyone but Sprig seems to agree with.

And again, I say to you - if I am not going to buy the CD either way, which I'm not, who exactly am I stealing from?

And if downloading indy artists is ok, why is it not ok to download songs by say, Moby, who doesn't object to file sharing?  If I'm not depriving anyone of money, then it must be intellectual property that I'm stealing - and if they person who created the music doesn't care, how am I in the wrong?

I'm with Saint: yes, downloading music is illegal, but no more "wrong" than speeding on the interstate.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 06:25:42 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2004, 08:07:19 PM »
I never said you or anyone else Fuzzy are going to hell for downloading music.  I just said I don't want that on my consence when I die.  Two different things.  I was stateing it as a non-religious comment on how I personaly couldn't handle going though life feeling like I've been steeling from people.  That's why I stoped downloading music and sofware, because when I do something I know is wrong, no matter how I rationalized it, I'll feel horible about it even years later.  I'm the last person who would have the right to pull the "holyer then though" card on someone else.  Haveing said that it is my beliefs that lead me to the conclusion that stealing is stealing, weither it's 5 cents or $5,000,000.  And that's why I say that downloading illegal music is theft.

It is intresting to see you in a furvor over this shoplifting thing, here you are trying to defend your illegal activites by saying it's not that bad.  That you're not hurting anyone except a large corperation that wont miss the money.  laws aren't selective, you cannot say stealing from someone who can afford to rebuy the item is different then stealing from someone who cannot.  What about stealing from someone who may not notice/miss the item?  By your reasoning a person could go out and murder some homeless bumb, and that's different then killing someone who socity might miss.  No one will miss the homeless person, so that makes it ok?

As for Moby (limpbisket is another artiest that has the same thoughts on fileshareing), if he has the legal right,  to say you can download my music then its fine.  That would depend on his contract with his music label.  Because usealy the music company holds that right.

Finaly the grey album.  EUOL, music and movies are a different medium then others in that the copy rights for those mediums prohibit such things.  there is a law called the fair use law, you've probaly all heard of this, that allows you to do certain things with the music/video but it can only be for your own personal, private use.  Once you take that song you mixed and give it to someone else, or let someone else listen to it you've violated the copyright. Sad thing is that some of the copyright holders said if the DJ would have asked to use the songs they could have worked something out, maybe even a release for the album.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2004, 08:55:06 PM »
yeah, note, I'm not arguing about the legality of it. Though that's major ball of wax. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the idea of the strictness of some laws (not necessarily the ones at issue here) and how moral "civil disobedience" is. Not what I wanted to talk about here, but I thought I'd mention why I'm NOT talking about legality.  

Actually, SE, I didn't even get to your side of the argument--I waxed too philosophical about other things.  I meant to note to you that I think Sprig misinterpreted you, as you were drawing the argument in a different direction.  (Ie, you wanted to talk about punishment as a deterrent.  Sprig wanted to argue ethics.)

As for your Civil Disobedience thing, I too have had questions about this issue.  Many LDS people, as conservatives, have been very adamant that we shouldn't engage in it.  However, the church itself has been pretty lenient on people who get arrested for engaging in Civil Disobedience.  It's an interesting question.

And again, I say to you - if I am not going to buy the CD either way, which I'm not, who exactly am I stealing from?

I'm sorry, Fuzzy, but I don't accept this as a valid argument.  It doesn't mater that you don't intend to purchase the CD either way--it matters that the law has defined what you are doing as illegal, and it is immoral to break the law.  In a larger, and more important scope, you could apply your rational to other non-tangible forms of stealing.  

Would you say it isn't wrong to sneak into a movie theater and watch a movie?  Lets say the movie wasn't sold out, and you would never have bought a ticket.  Therefore, the theater isn't 'losing' anything by your sneaking in.  Would you claim that you haven't done anything immoral by watching that movie?  

The way our society works is you get goods or services in exchange for resources.  As a consumer, if you don't want to pay for something, you simply go without.  There is no middle ground of 'I wasn't going to pay for it anyway, so for me the rules shouldn't apply.'

I'm with Saint: yes, downloading music is illegal, but no more "wrong" than speeding on the interstate.  

I have something to add here, but I'll preface it by noting that I'm not a hundred percent sure on this, so if someone can find something conclusive, I'd like to see it.

Speeding is not illegal.  Going a certain number of miles above the speed limit IS usually illegal.  But speeding itself has been, what they call in legal circles, 'de-criminalized.'  This means that while you can be fined for speeding, you get no criminal record for it, and it's not a misdemeanor.

Downloading music, however, IS illegal since it breaks a specific law--meaning copyright law.  As of right now, I don't think downloading music is a 'de-criminalized' activity.  It has been ruled on and determined an infraction of the law.

So, the speeding metaphor is actually invalid.  

And if downloading indy artists is ok, why is it not ok to download songs by say, Moby, who doesn't object to file sharing?  If I'm not depriving anyone of money, then it must be intellectual property that I'm stealing - and if they person who created the music doesn't care, how am I in the wrong?  

This is actually part of what's screwed up about the music industry.  Moby doesn't own the copyright for his songs--the music company does.  In literature, the author owns the copyright, and that allows him or her to (eventually) post the material on-line for free.  (Scott Card does this, as do the fine fellows over at the Baen Free Library.)  

I, personally, would consider downloading these songs 'less-immoral' than downloading songs by others.  However, it is still illegal--and it's the morality of breaking the law that, perhaps, should worry you.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch