Author Topic: covers and sheryl crow  (Read 1450 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
covers and sheryl crow
« on: August 08, 2004, 11:02:41 AM »
Two unrelated subjects. I listened to the radio this morning for about half an hour. I don't listen to the radio much.

anyway, the metal station out of Baltimore was playing some band. ANd the song was familiar. I couldn't place it. Until suddenly it hit me. They're covering "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel! Who covers Peter Gabriel? it was kind of surreal. Some parts were interesting, though not super cool. on the whole, the missed the Gabriel atmosphere that makes him so cool. THe singer was just WRONG for it.

ANyway, I, in an odd mood, turned the station when Pink FLoyd came on. I love PF, but i guess I just wasn't in the mood for it. Sheryl Crow's new song was on. Now, maybe it's just me, but her first album reminded me a lot of Bob Dylan. The next made me think of Tom Petty. even C'mon C'mon had some interesting bits-- "Steve McQueen" for example. But this new one... what I hear from it, combined with the generally lower quality of her third album, makes me think she's just blending in with the other female vocalists. She used to be bad (not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good), but now she's turning... girly. so frustrating.