Author Topic: Weird stuff in the news  (Read 7785 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Weird stuff in the news
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 02:03:30 PM »
As someone who plays a lot of violent games, I've got a bit to add. It is stress relieving, it is entertaining, when done well it can evoke emotions (Halo 2 and Half life 2 were particularly good at making you feel like a hero who was looked up to by people). But to say that by playing a game your going to go insane and froth at the mouth is just BS. Watching a movie will have the exact same effect - Troy, for example, reminded me of playing Halo 2. Because of the emotions it made flare up.

Many things will anger you. Playing a game will, generally, relieve that anger (unless it's a MMORPG and your dealing with idiotic teammates >_>). It's just the same principle as someone who gets a punching bag and exercises on it when they have a bad day at work. Some people have got it into their minds that running over someone on a TV screen is the worst thing a person can do.

These people are the same kind as those who opposed Rock Music back in the 60's. Who opposed blacks getting the vote. Who now oppose homosexuals getting treated like the decent human beings they are and getting fair and equal treatment. They get so caught up in their narrow, petty mindset of 'our values', they refuse to believe that just because they don't understand or enjoy something doesn't make it automatically evil. Those kind of people evoke more anger in me than any number of games or films or songs will do.

And now, a smiley. :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2005, 02:56:40 PM »
These people are the same kind as those who opposed Rock Music back in the 60's. Who opposed blacks getting the vote. Who now oppose homosexuals

I think you're going a little far with this, personally.

I've never heard of anyone getting killed because they played a violent video game.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2005, 08:30:48 PM »
It doesn't matter whether they have been killed or not. I would be surprised if someone were killed because they played violent games, because it would only undermine their point. However, they still attack, in their own way. They attack at ideals, and, thereby, at freedoms.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2005, 01:39:07 PM »
Yah? Well your mom is a girl!

Sorry, just had to do that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 01:40:47 PM by OneEyedGreenPerson »
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2005, 02:11:25 AM »
the statue of liberty isn't as much a symbol of american society and ideals as it is a pretty statue lots of peole know)

...anyway my point was that it IS (supposed to be) a symbol of American society and ideals, and I doubt very many people in the U.S. who know about it at all don't know that it is a symbol of American society and ideals, and I doubt that pretty much anyone who believes it is a pretty statue doesn't know that it is a symbol of American society and ideals.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2005, 06:20:21 AM »
I tend to think that trivalizing symbols is a dangerous thing to do. It kind of ignores all the non-verbal communication that goes on in the world. Something that profoundly affects people wether they are aware of it or not.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »
Something that profoundly affects people wether they are aware of it or not.

Like video games and the movies. Just like that article was pitching, if not as direly as they would like us to believe.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2005, 11:28:13 AM »
Video games haven't affected me in the slightest. I go out every weekend and blow ducks away with my .45 just like everyone else.
Though, I am a little worried that nobody I talk to hates mushrooms as much as I do.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2005, 11:37:08 AM »
Who wouldn't? What with their mind control spores and their distinct lack of recognition of personal space.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2005, 07:35:51 PM »
Who writes these headlines?

"Vibrating chickens set stage for cyberhugs"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10243378/
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2005, 09:11:41 AM »
Why? Because you want the job?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2005, 02:50:40 PM »
Of course I do! I write ridiculous sentences all the time, I'd love to get paid for it!
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2006, 09:46:44 AM »
Stupid!

Please note that I don't like refering to people as being stupid, but being that stubborn and disobedient makes one deserving of the label.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2006, 10:05:51 AM »
I don't mind calling stupid where stupid is warranted. What that guy is pretty much dictionary definition stupid.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2006, 12:24:16 PM »
My husband is a resident up at the U, and tells stories about patients on dialysis who will go out for a smoke break. That is stupid. They could drop dead where they stand it's so dangerous (OK, maybe I exaggerate, but still...). Can't keep from smoking to save their own lives.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:24:59 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/