Author Topic: Green Day  (Read 18407 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Green Day
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 09:22:33 AM »
For example?

Not to get off topic, but I love Thoreau.

How about starting with his vastly over-rated Walden? The point of hte book is that anyone can buck off society and go live on their own sweat and labor.

Nevermind that I'm living on the property of my very rich friend and spend about as much time there as I do at home.

It just doesn't follow if you do more than look at the touchy feely sentiment of the words.

But like I said, his writing style is brilliant. His use of words and sounds in combination is worth reading, even if his ideas are foolish. And, well, he does give a great defense of the approach to literature comparatists use, so I have to give him props for that.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2006, 12:48:08 PM »
But what does he say about pie?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2006, 12:51:22 PM »
And so your evidence that his ideas are sophomoric is...?

I'm fine if you say that it's not a philosophy you ascribe to, but to say he's poorly informed and immature (sophomoric) is something else entirely.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2006, 01:06:07 PM »
did you *read* my post?

The point of his book is that anyone can do something and he's going to demonstrate it. And then he goes to demonstrate nothing like his point. Isn't that sophomoric?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2006, 01:13:20 PM »
I have to admit, Mustard, that he did give some pretty recognizable evidence about why he thinks he's sophomoric.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2006, 01:35:29 PM »
First, your explanation of his premise seems wrong -- he wasn't arguing that people should flee society.  His premise was that people were too caught up in society.  He used his time in the woods to illustrate getting out of society -- not offer an example of what everyone needed to do.

It's not a manual that teaches you how to live the life of a hermit -- it's philosophy.  It's not a wilderness survival textbook.  The incidental facts about how much time he spent in the woods are irrelevant -- the important part is whether or not he found alternative ways to view civilization.  Honestly, I don't know how someone can get caught up on whether or not he actually spent every day in woods or whether his mom did his laundry.

www.robisonwells.com

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 01:43:15 PM »
He was just lazy. Pursuing a philosophy out of a desire to be able to do nothing except write.

Wait. Is that a bad thing?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 01:43:56 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2006, 01:48:08 PM »
no. He specifically posits in Walden that one can, and should, live less connected to society. He goes into the woods to demonstrate that everyone has the ability to do it.

The problem with that position is that in order for him to make this new life less connected to society he borrows land from his wealthy friend to do it, then doesn't have to survive very long in the wilderness by himself because of his constant visits to said friend (visits he mentions in his own work).  He cuts very few ties and he gets by based on his connections. How is that living deliberately without the baggage of modern society?

So yeah, if I knew a guy who had a nice house on some lakefront property I could go out there and write some poetic words about how the animals act too. But I'm not going to claim that everyone can cut some of their dependence on modern society that way.

I never said that it was supposed to be some sort of survival guide. I'm saying that the actual practice of his philosophical experiment doesn't jive well at all with the philosophical point he was making.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2006, 01:49:47 PM »
Thanks... now we have two ads for Walden University you two. And no one has brought us pie.

Or cake!
They could bring us cake!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2006, 01:55:32 PM »
Speak for yourself. I got pie for lunch on my boss.

Anyway, I don't intend to talk about Thoreau anymore. I made a throwaway comment about my opinion of him. I don't intend to try and convert anyone to my point of view. I just want it on record that I'm not just vilifying him because I dislike his philosophy. My opinion of him is based on how he formed his philosophy and communicated it.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2006, 02:06:01 PM »
While you make good points, I still can't see throwing away his good philosphical ideas merely because his experiment was flawed.  But then again, I never thought that the experiment was there to prove anything -- merely to give it the ideas a concrete illustration  (no different, in my mind, from any supernatural myths from religion or philosophy -- they're necessarily not true or literal, but they help you understand the ideas.)  (Not that I'm putting Walden in an equal status with religion.)

However, realizing that this is not an argument that either of us can win, since we can't agree on very premise, I'll bow out before it gets heated.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2006, 07:05:01 PM »
Speaking of things getting heated--I want my pie!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2006, 07:36:37 PM »
warm apple pie is good.

so is shoofly pie.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2006, 12:59:48 AM »
Homemade apple pie rules the roost, followed closely by homemade pumpkin pie, then homemade pistacio pie.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2006, 10:05:15 AM »
when come back, bring pie.

Dangit, I'm making a store run today now.