Author Topic: Green Day  (Read 17183 times)

German_Hamburger

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love hamburgers. Especially German ones.
    • View Profile
Green Day
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:07:31 PM »
Great band. Excellant songs

Nurse (been demoted) German_hamburger
Nick
7s
K.E.G.S

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Green Day
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 07:39:59 PM »
Perhaps you should have an actual topic for discussion when you start a new thread.  A thread is very boring when it says "Great band" and then everyone posts "i agree" and "me too" underneath.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 07:44:31 PM »
Green Day sucks (how's that Fuzzy?).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 07:44:45 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:57:02 PM »
Much better, Sprig.  I greatly appreciate it.  I'd have said it myself, but you know me. I'm afraid that Billie Joe Whatshisface might  come seek revenge.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:08:12 PM »
A thread is very boring when it says "Great band" and then everyone posts "i agree" and "me too" underneath.

I agree.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 10:05:27 PM »

I agree.

Me too.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

German_Hamburger

• Level 3
  • I love hamburgers. Especially German ones.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 05:28:39 AM »
Feel free to post whatever you like about green day and then specify a reason why. Anyone know any strange facts about em then post em.
Nick
7s
K.E.G.S

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »
Well I know me and my brother stopped listening to System of A Down because of way too much anti american crap they were saying.  Then with Green Day's new album they said that they went anti american so I don't really listen to them anymore since they decided not to.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 10:05:11 PM »
I personally have never liked Green Day, I just don't care for Punk I'm a pure Rock guy.  I will admit that American Idiot is their best album but I don't care for for how negative it is, I like my entertainment to entertain me not make me depressed.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 02:47:42 AM »
American Idiot is definitely their best, I've never much liked them before. I don't share a lot of their anti-American views, but I appreciate the fact that we're finally getting some good protest songs out of this generation; we haven't any quality on that front since Vietnam, and it was starting to worry me that our media had become so detached from life that it could no longer summon appropriate outrage over political issues.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 07:44:10 AM »
As it has been said before, Green Day is great, they play the three chords they know really well.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »
It's my impression that they are not anti-American, but anti-the-current-administration. Perhaps someone could point out something that I've been missing?
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 04:55:53 PM »
Well Green Day is strongly opposed to the current administration. But they were also rather opposed to the previous administration. At least that is what I gathered from the one hour special I saw on VH1 at 3 am.

Generally speaking, Green Day belongs to a counter-culture movement. Something they freely acknowledge.

Wether or not that makes them anti-American is a matter of some debate. From what I gather Green Day is stongly supportive of individuality. The idea of individuality is a very American ideal. In fact, American care more about individuality than any other society on Earth.

This is somewhat problematic as societies are built on conformity. In fact, the survival of all people on the Earth is dependent on conformity. All people have strong psychological and biological needs to conform and belong to a group. Just about everything we use on a daily basis is thanks to conformity. Little things like language and all forms of communication.

The conflict arises that Green Day is supportive of ideals that are in a very real sense threatening to many groups in Americans. Thus they can be percieved as anti-American. In Green Day's mind they could be seeing themselves as being very American simple because they belong to a very different group.

This is the kind of stuff that Socio-Cultural Anthropologists, Sociologists, and Social-Psychologists live for. (Don't ask me to explaing the difference between them.) Overall, the modern Western world is experiencing a large amount of fracturization as societies, groups, and cultures get blended about.

Historically, the end result is lots of war and bloodshed.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 10:10:07 PM »
Not that I disagree with you 42, but isn't that just a wonderful thought? I think that there are many other reasons for that, but that is another thread entirely.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 10:11:39 PM »
I wouldn't call Green Day anti-American either, System of a Down is though, I just find them very pessimistic.